Quantcast

Boeing loses the tanker deal!!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Shouldn't that headline read "Chief maker of flying coffins loses chances to consign thousands to a fiery death"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So does the spat between Boeing and Airbus about government subsidies take a swing over to Boeing's side?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Who knows anymore......But it looks like after a few years of Airbus being down and Boeing being up, the tides are turning. A380 is in service....doing well apparently. People are beginning to forget that it may never turn a profit. Now they win this....

The 787 is way behind schedule....and this slap in the face. The US military won't be using a US plane.

I love this industry.....the drama that goes along with all of it....keeps it fresh every day...

I can't help but being a little disappointed. The 767 was the one I worked on the most. It's unfortunate that this seals its demise....ah well...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
that's a tad harsh. it's best-in-class engineering surely vaunts it to the elite class of "sarcophagus"

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001

Machinists union representatives put posters up in their union hall in Everett on Friday afternoon decrying the fact that the refueling-tanker contract had been awarded to Northrop/EADS. EADS is the parent of European aircraft-maker Airbus.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i wonder if this woman knows she's a dead ringer for penn gillette?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Machinists union representatives put posters up in their union hall in Everett on Friday afternoon decrying the fact that the refueling-tanker contract had been awarded to Northrop/EADS. EADS is the parent of European aircraft-maker Airbus.

Meh it's called competition, if you want to win build a better product. *shrugs*

Although the Air Force doesn't plan to brief Boeing until at least March 12 on precisely why it lost the bidding war, Lichte said the Airbus plane provides "more passengers [i.e. troops], more cargo, more fuel to offload, more availability, more flexibility and more dependability."
And no one is getting made redundant over it, in fact a whole heap of Americans will be employed by this, Not only the 1,500 new jobs building the aircraft in Mobile but all the construction workers etc to build a whole new factory. :lighten:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Meh it's called competition, if you want to win build a better product. *shrugs*

And no one is getting made redundant over it, in fact a whole heap of Americans will be employed by this, Not only the 1,500 new jobs building the aircraft in Mobile but all the construction workers etc to build a whole new factory. :lighten:
But it's not in WARSHINGTON!! Both unions (engineers and shop workers) are a rather surly bunch when they don't get their way. They have T-shirts and everything....to comemorate events such as the "holding our breath until we turn blue" of '94... Good times...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They better hurry up with the tankers. Once they come in service and join the Russian An-225 and An-124 cargo planes we use then GWB can say he has regained a significant an international coalition in his military effort, well at least equipment wise :D

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
they had some guy on the news that was screaming into the camera about how mad he was.....kinda scared me. I'm not sure I would want to fly in a plane built by a pissed guy with a hammer

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
they had some guy on the news that was screaming into the camera about how mad he was.....kinda scared me. I'm not sure I would want to fly in a plane built by a pissed guy with a hammer
What a moron! :shocked:
Guy needs to get a grip, he hasn't lost his job or anything! :crazy:

Or maybe he's worried that when he gets moved onto the dreamliner project he will have to make his work look nice? :brow:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
FRom one of my ex co-workers:

I love it when things go wrong. Not only is it not Boeing, but it is Airbus. I heard some right wing radio nut yelling that the US airforce couldn’t possibly buy what are essentially French aircraft. Remember, he said, they didn’t support the invasion of Iraq…He failed to mention that they did support them at Yorktown and with the aid of the French navy, the Americans defeated Cornwallis. I know it was 1781, but hey, who’s counting?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
One of MMike's ex-coworkers said:
I love it when things go wrong. Not only is it not Boeing, but it is Airbus. I heard some right wing radio nut yelling that the US airforce couldn’t possibly buy what are essentially French aircraft. Remember, he said, they didn’t support the invasion of Iraq…He failed to mention that they did support them at Yorktown and with the aid of the French navy, the Americans defeated Cornwallis. I know it was 1781, but hey, who’s counting?
even more galling, is that 20 years later when Napoleon launched wars of aggression against the rest of Europe, we gave a big F U to our former ally/supporter and stayed neutral. hmmmm....... :lighten:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That pretty much douches the politicians (Hillbama?) that were "outraged" at the decision. Would you rather award the contract to the decidedly better bidder, or the politically convenient one? The latter sounds like cronyism, bribery, and waste of taxpayer dollars to me...
while true i don't see how either of them could afford to offend the boeing-allied voters... the solution the U.S. needs is to have me appointed as a benevolent dictator. i'd offend everyone instead of pussyfooting around. :busted: