Quantcast

Bonds hits 715

How do you feel about Bonds beating Ruth's record?

• Good for him

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Wish he hadn't

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don't give a s**t either way

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ya know, Babe didn't face the potentially great black/minority players of his day.

Neither Babe nor Bonds can compare to Hank Aaron.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
Ya know, Babe didn't face the potentially great black/minority players of his day.

WTF does that matter? The Babe played the game of his day the best he could. The man PITCHED amazingly well, and COMPLETELY changed the game by making the homerun an ordinary part of the game. In a time w/out trainers, workouts, etc. , the man DOMINATED.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
WTF does that matter? The Babe played the game of his day the best he could. The man PITCHED amazingly well, and COMPLETELY changed the game by making the homerun an ordinary part of the game. In a time w/out trainers, workouts, etc. , the man DOMINATED.
yes, he was great, he changed the game.

But ceterus paribus, it isn't.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
yes, he was great, he changed the game.

But ceterus paribus, it isn't.
No. He was the greatest player of all time bar none. The guy could play any position on the field and set records that stood for years and years. Integration changed the game, but to say that black pitchers would've had any impact on the man's batting numbers would be ridiculous. In fact, black pitchers have had relatively little effect on the game overall. Not that there havent been some greats, but just as an observation of numbers, it statistically wouldnt matter..

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
the Inbred said:
last i checked, he didn't break any records. since when do people placing 2nd get so much reverence?
Every player has personal records. Babe Ruth's are quite high, fella.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
BurlyShirley said:
No. He was the greatest player of all time bar none. The guy could play any position on the field and set records that stood for years and years. Integration changed the game, but to say that black pitchers would've had any impact on the man's batting numbers would be ridiculous. In fact, black pitchers have had relatively little effect on the game overall. Not that there havent been some greats, but just as an observation of numbers, it statistically wouldnt matter..
Not to mention the fact that he was able to hit home runs with baseballs that were not even of the same quality(softer thus harder to hit). Ruth did it without roids, the only chemical he relied on was alcohol.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
jdcamb said:
No and you?

He cheated to attain that goal IMO. Do you like cheaters? I don't.

No, but even the mid 80's is damn near impossible for me.

So if you are going to call him out on cheating, might as well do it for every baseball player nowadays, 'cause 90% of them are on the sauce

splat

Nam I am
LordOpie said:

No w it is hard to Campare anybody to the Babe, as BS said He Dominated the game like no eles ever has since! when hit hit 714 HRs , the guy in 2nd has 219.

When Ruth hit 40 , and 50 HRs in one season , there wasn't any other team in the leguge that had that many Home runs as a team. also Ruth Played when the season was only 152 games.

then the stadiums were not Home run freindly center field in his home , Yankee stadium was 460 Feet! Nickerson Field had a Center field of 590 feet! It is the only stadium ever used in the major leagues that has never hada home run hit out of.

the era is most certainly Different , But what Ruth did was amazing !

On a side note , My Mom actually went to several Yankee Games where she saw ruth Play.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
And I hate baseball, Its just fun to see everyone get all broken up about some stupid ass record. Leave barry alone

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
chicodude said:
And I hate baseball, Its just fun to see everyone get all broken up about some stupid ass record. Leave barry alone
except, it wasn't a record.

i blame the media for hyping this **** up.

i think the real question is:

Who is/ was more dominant - Tiger or Jack?

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Just wanted to add that I do think Bonds has great natural talent under there, and is a good base-hitter... I just think it's so sad that many of the players resort to performance enhancers. :(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
chicodude said:
Okay, maybe not 90, but at leat 3/4 are on something or another.
Oh, gee, well that makes it A-OK then :rolleyes:

Personally, I think it's too bad that people feel the need to resort to performance enhancing drugs in order to break records. Just seems to me that the record books are slightly tarnished to have this name in-between two greats like Aaron and Ruth.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
antimony said:
Just wanted to add that I do think Bonds has great natural talent under there, and is a good base-hitter... I just think it's so sad that many of the players resort to performance enhancers. :(
You mean like BV and viagara?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
LordOpie said:
You mean like BV and viagara?
Alright, old man, you don't have to be jealous of my youthful vitality just because you're past the age of going to bat without the little blue pills ;)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jeremy R said:
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I have his rookie card here and he just filled out a little, that's all.

LMAO!

I just stole that pic and your joke and passed them off as my own on numerous websites I frequent:rofl:

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
alright, here we go. as an avid baseball fan (a sport which in fact does not suck...but that's not the argument right now) i have respect for bonds: yes, he's juiced and yes the game is different now than it was 35 years ago when hank aaron was still playing and 80 years ago when babe ruth was playing. but you all failed to recognize the fact that no matter how much mass you put on due to steroid use, you still won't be able to hit that baseball any better if you don't have the hand-eye coordination. simply put i don't think bonds could have broken the babe's record without steroid use, but i do think that he was/is/should be considered one of the best contact hitters in the game. he's got a great swing and fantastic hand/eye coordination upon which steroids have no effect.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
gsweet said:
alright, here we go. as an avid baseball fan (a sport which in fact does not suck...but that's not the argument right now) i have respect for bonds: yes, he's juiced and yes the game is different now than it was 35 years ago when hank aaron was still playing and 80 years ago when babe ruth was playing. but you all failed to recognize the fact that no matter how much mass you put on due to steroid use, you still won't be able to hit that baseball any better if you don't have the hand-eye coordination. simply put i don't think bonds could have broken the babe's record without steroid use, but i do think that he was/is/should be considered one of the best contact hitters in the game. he's got a great swing and fantastic hand/eye coordination upon which steroids have no effect.
actually, a study was done, quite recently, which showed that steroid use can improve reaction time, and hence, hand eye coordination. No doubt Bonds was talented, but we'll never know how much of it was him, and how much was the juice.
Regular people dont all of a sudden start hitting better in their late 30's. And i dont just mean homers.