Quantcast

Bone marrow donation

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Have any of you guys done this before? I signed up for the national registry back in 2008 and just got an email saying I am a possible match for someone in need.

If you have done this, what is involved?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
haven't done it, but be prepared to take some time off from physical activity (depending on how much they take). don't piss & moan about it either. Your week of down time means another person gets to keep living.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Q: What is the bone marrow donation process like?
A: Marrow donation is a surgical procedure that takes place in an operating room. The donation will be scheduled at a hospital that partners with the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP). In some cases, the hospital may be near your home. In other cases, you may be asked to travel. We will guide you through the process and be available the day of your marrow donation.

Hospital Stay: You will arrive at the hospital outpatient facility on the day of the donation. You will stay in the hospital usually from early morning to late afternoon, though some hospitals routinely plan for an overnight hospital stay.
Anesthesia: You will be given anesthesia to block the pain during the marrow donation. If general anesthesia is used, you will be unconscious during the donation. If you receive regional anesthesia (either spinal or epidural), medication will block sensation in the affected area, but you will remain aware of your surroundings. General anesthesia is used for about 75% of marrow donors from the Be The Match Registry.
Donation: During the marrow donation, you will be lying on your stomach. While the donation varies slightly from hospital to hospital, generally, the doctors make several (typically one to four) small incisions through the skin over the back of the pelvic bones. The incisions are less than one-fourth inch long and do not require stitches. The doctors will insert a special hollow needle through these incisions over the rear of the pelvic bone. A syringe is attached to the needle to draw out the marrow.
Recovery: Hospital staff will watch you closely until the anesthesia wears off, and continue to monitor your condition afterwards. Most donors go home the same day or the next morning. After you leave the hospital, we will contact you on a regular basis to ask about your physical condition and any side effects you are experiencing.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I haven't done this, but saw it first hand. My roommate was signed up and actually ended up donating. Just so you know, it's a pretty miserable process. They give you all kinds of drug cocktails that make you feel like crap. He was lethargic, pale and looked sickly for the better part of two months. Sounds like the actual procedure was pretty intense too and he looked like hell after.

But, after saying all that, he saved a man's life. A man that, if I remember right, was in his 40s and had a wife and kid. From what I understand, he would have died without being matched with my roommate. He was allowed to meet the patient after a year. The guy was happy, healthy, and as you can imagine, more than grateful for the whole process.

If you want some info, I can give my buddies contact info and you can ask him about the process.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah I know about the process, but I guess I was looking for some info about anyone who's been close to or involved in the process. Thanks for the info kazlx.

They said they could be contacting me anytime between now and April 15th. They also said I could also do a stem cell donation (apparently this is what is done 70% of the time). A lot less invasive and doesn't require surgery, but still is a week long process with lots of drugs to support the donation. So if I have any other questions, I will defiantly hit you up for your buddies contact info.

As some of you might remember, I almost donated my kidney to one of my best friends but things didn't work out after a year of prep for the transplant and she ended up passing away. So don't expect any pissing and moaning on my end. I know what is at stake for the recipient and a temporary discomfort for me is worth saving a life.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Like I said, he went through the whole thing and I'm sure he would be glad to share his experience. Not that it would dissuade you, but at least you'd have an idea what you're in for. He looked like crap for a while. I think the biggest part is all the drugs they give you to help 'prep' for the donation make you look and feel like crap. But, you can save someone's life...

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
@Heckler, good on ya man. Keep us posted on this. In the same light as donating blood but theres much more to this. Its not going to be easy, but its all worth it. God bless.