Quantcast

Bone VPD Leg vs Alpinestar Moab

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Going to mix it up and swap back to flats when im feeling it and need to protect them shins. I narrowed it down to the POC or Moab and have used fox launch with good luck and 661 before that when I used flats about 7 years ago. Since then its just been covering up the knees.

Anyone tried both of them? The 2013 moabs get great feedback.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Conversely, I owned the POCs but not the A-stars. I really liked the POCS, but only wore them for DH; I couldn't imagine doing pedal rides in them (which may or may not be what you're talking about).

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Conversely, I owned the POCs but not the A-stars. I really liked the POCS, but only wore them for DH; I couldn't imagine doing pedal rides in them (which may or may not be what you're talking about).
ill be using them just for dhing with the lazy lift getting me to the top :thumb:

How is the protection on the back of the leg with the pocs? it mentions that they have a pad you can remove. i am sure i will tear up or the back of my leg since it been a while since running flats.

Marius

Chimp
Jul 4, 2011
Germany
I ride the Moab and I`m really happy with it for DH. At first they they might fit a bit weird at the knee but after getting used to it they are perfect. The first ones which don`t move around and during a crash they exactly protect where they should.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I use the Poc Bone VPD and will be moving away from them.

The good:
- Excellent protection above the knee
- Optional pads on back let you slam your pedals against the back of your calves without any fear of bleeding out.
- No knee chafing due to the kneecap thing that is separate from the lower part of the pad (a really smart design here)

The downside to them is they are:
- The number one issue for me is they would always shift to the outside of my leg. I have to re-position them after every shuttle run.
- HOT oh lordy.. I couldn't imagine pedaling in these things, unless it was winter.
- The pads don't sit flush against your shins.. that's kinda OK for breathability, but it let lots of dirt get trapped between your shin and the pad.
-Perhaps it's me vs the pads.. but even after washing them, they seemed to hold their funk pretty well.

Other comments:
The VPD component of these pads stayed hard until they have been sitting againt your body for a while and have the chance to heat up.
If you have thick calves, it will take a while to stretch them out.
For sizing info: I'm 5'7" and use the medium. If anything, they are slightly too large for me.

Last edited:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I use the Poc Bone VPD and will be moving away from them.

The good:
- Excellent protection above the knee
- Optional pads on back let you slam your pedals against the back of your calves without any fear of bleeding out.
- No knee chafing due to the kneecap thing that is separate from the lower part of the pad (a really smart design here)

The downside to them is they are:
- The number one issue for me is they would always shift to the outside of my leg. I have to re-position them after every shuttle run.
- HOT oh lordy.. I couldn't imagine pedaling in these things, unless it was winter.
- The pads don't sit flush against your shins.. that's kinda OK for breathability, but it let lots of dirt get trapped between your shin and the pad.
-Perhaps it's me vs the pads.. but even after washing them, they seemed to hold their funk pretty well.

Other comments:
The VPD component of these pads stayed hard until they have been sitting againt your body for a while and have the chance to heat up.
If you have thick calves, it will take a while to stretch them out.
For sizing info: I'm 5'7" and use the medium. If anything, they are slightly too large for me.
thats awesome info, no such thing as the perfect pad. the Moabs look like they go on very secure and would stay cooler. I totally dig the sound of the back of the leg protection on the VPD, the Moab looks like it will get filleted back there with the materials its made of. I do expect to look like i got into a fight with a cat til this whole flat pedal things comes back to me, its usually when i am just pushing the bike that i get attacked more often than not.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Fit is so subjective, based on body type. I'm tall with long legs and pretty skinny calves. The POCs fit my legs perfectly and didn't move at all. I live in Arizona, and didn't notice them being hotter (or cooler) than anything else I've worn.

The only thing I didn't like was the white color.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Fit is so subjective, based on body type. I'm tall with long legs and pretty skinny calves. The POCs fit my legs perfectly and didn't move at all. I live in Arizona, and didn't notice them being hotter (or cooler) than anything else I've worn.

The only thing I didn't like was the white color.
I have fat calves and they still fit me great. Imho better than moabs.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I forgot to mention that in both pairs of POC VPD pads I got, the orange square (it's a piece of rubber that connects the white kneecap to the white shin plastic) gave out pretty quick (a few months). Fishing line will fix this.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I wonder if that VPD pad cracked due to being cold if you were riding in the snow. Still better than you knee
sethimus

Karpi good to hear a vote for the moab, are you running the 2013's?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
View attachment 113313

these poc ones do what they are supposed to, knee straight into a sharp rock, hidden under the snow...
:blink: DAMN! I have no doubts the pads worked.. but I really can't imagine anything causing that much damadge to them. Very impressive. I hope you kissed your kneecaps after that.

I wonder if that VPD pad cracked due to being cold if you were riding in the snow. Still better than you knee
sethimus

So the cold will make the VPD hard (less pliable might be a better term), but that shouldn't affect their protective abilities.. and the part that broke there was the hard shell.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
sethimus

only the plastic cracked, the vpd is still fine, as was my knee. i may have used them outside the usual temperatures as i rode them in -20°C on the kaunertal glacier in austria last winter (not with the bike, but with the snowscoot)