Quantcast

Bonked?

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Last weekend's ride was not anything "epic", or vastly long & hard, just the usual 21 miles in a local park...
'Bout 4 or 5 miles before the end whille "Exploring" a trail we never took I started feeling a bit bonked, don't know if this was because we had to hike-a-bike a little ways or what, but I felt like I was getting weak quickly. It was a warm day but I was well hydrated (watered the bushes a few times), the last two miles climbing out I was exhausted, couldn't believe it! I've rode a few miles longer & never felt like this!
Took the rest of the day eating & drinking lot's of different juices to recover!
So what was my body missing?

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
given that you said it was a warm day (sweating alot) the reason that you were feeling crap may have been due to salt loss. next time you go riding on warm/hot day it might worth taking a salt tablet or as i do, eat bananas (good for potassium). hope this helps.:)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by the_prozac_kid
given that you said it was a warm day (sweating alot) the reason that you were feeling crap may have been due to salt loss. next time you go riding on warm/hot day it might worth taking a salt tablet or as i do, eat bananas (good for potassium). hope this helps.:)
I do a lot of endurance running and this is good advise. If you are not able to find electrolye tablets try a running store. On warm days for efforts lasting 3 to 4 hours take a table on hour 2 and 3, for much longer efforts take one every hour.

Another thing I like is GU20 - it is a liquid replacement drink that has the highest salt content that I can find.

Just remember how much salt crusts around temples... and them remember that your entire body sweats. Lot's of salt!!!

Taking pretzils along for snacks is also a good idea.

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
I also reccomend 'Emergen-C'. It's a great powdered electrolytes mix that dissolves quickly in water. I always keep a pack or two in my jersey pocket for longer rides and races. Available at health food stores.
I've suggested it to many hard core racers who were really pleased with it.