Quantcast

Bontrager 29" front wheel conversion ?'s

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I had a vision the other day of putting a non-suspension corrected, 1" threadless, rigid fork on my 1997 Bontrager Privateer Comp. It would be lighter (I hope) with the threadless stem, headset, and lack of suspension pieces, and the wheel doesn't weigh that much more. I was also thinking of a cheap Deore Hydro front brake.
It would definitely be stiffer (I hope!) with the rigid fork, and the larger wheel would track really well. The fork could be made with the reduced trail measurement, too. It makes a lot of sense, but there are a couple possible dilemmas:

How much does a custom-built, rigid fork cost?

Would toe/tire overlap be an issue? It is a size small (13.5") frame.

Would the wheel even fit within the confines of the downtube?

Let me know what you think!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos

It's got a new, non-rapid rise, XTR deraillure on it, too. Minus the fork, the bike is super fun and really fast.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A custom fork can be bought for around $200.00 or so.

Contact Rob Pennell at Badger Cycles and/or Scott Quiring at Quiring Cycles. They both do really great work and they are the two who are offering pretty good value on custom forks (may be others too, but I liked the response I got from these two guys the best when I inquired about a custom fork to replace my Karate Monkey fork - sadly I can't afford even that price. :( )

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
See if Tange makes a fork like you're describing. Maybe just get a suspension corrected 26" fork, that way the height will allow for a 29" wheel. It'd be easier than a custom fork, just get one that's a few inches taller than a non-supension corrected 26" fork.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Cash-Money said:
a surly karate monkey fork + 29er wheel would be ok on that frame. if you get the wheel first, you could even stuff it in a 26" fork... that way you wouldnt have the "suspention correction"
The KM fork would be way too tall for that bike. It's a suspension corrected 29er fork. what he needs is a 26" fork or a non-suspension corrected 29" fork.