Quantcast

Bontrager G5 tire

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I raced DS last night with the G5 up front and a G2 out back

I don't see the g2 on the trek website any more. Perhaps i bought one of the last of them.
It solves part of Woo's complaint: Rolls much faster, is a hard compound in the center.

Clearly it doesn't have anywhere as much breaking traction, but i don't really give much of a hoot about that.

I've had the tires in the locker for a week or two now and this thread inspired me to mount them yesterday afternoon.

GRIP!

quite, quite keen on them.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Frankly.......no

But I did that exact same google search before that last post.

You're not really gettin what I'm sayin' here.

At this point lots of those maxxis tires have been out for years. Buying them off amazon is not the same thing as getting a tire made in the last few months. And a 3c minion might be as old as your biking career (or older).

I don't really care what you buy. Currently NEW maxxis tires are expensive. But just be aware that not all tires with the same name show up at your door in the same condition. "Unused" isn't the condition I'm talking about either.
so you thinking online retailers make a living with storing tires for years and selling them cheap?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
so you thinking online retailers make a living with storing tires for years and selling them cheap?
No, but they do buy overstock from distributors and assembly factories.
I've sold Chain Reaction and other such companies dozens of 40' containers of tires that had been festering throughout europe and Asia.
Many, though not all, mail order outfits serve as clearing houses for old inventory when people need space for current product/have dropped a product line/bike production didn't meet forecasts etc.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
I've sold Chain Reaction and other such companies dozens of 40' containers of tires that had been festering throughout europe and Asia.
Many, though not all, mail order outfits serve as clearing houses for old inventory when people need space for current product/have dropped a product line/bike production didn't meet forecasts etc.
And how much of those were DHF 2ply wire 3C & ST? Cuz that's all I'm buying.

No one cares how much overstock Nevergrips and other crappy tires they sell. But Amazon and BikeBling go through a lot of high end DHF tires, and those - at least the ones I'm seeing - are nice and fresh.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I advocate for a freshness/use-by date on all tires from here on out. FDA seal of approval too.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I've been buying DHFs online from large volume retailers like bike bling and jenson for years without any issues. I've definitely been "given" some outdated tires before and could tell the difference. I guess I wonder what the true risk of getting outdated tires is online. For that matter, who says that what is on the show room floor is any newer? I understand that it *should* be, but what proof do you have?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
And how much of those were DHF 2ply wire 3C & ST? Cuz that's all I'm buying.
All of them.

Not saying all tires on-line are old, dry rotted crap.
There are Minion 3Cs at my local shop that have been there forever, so it's buyer beware.

And dump, I think Michelin auto/truck tires now recommend replacement based on manufacture date rather than just wear so you wish is becoming the new reality.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
All of them.

There are Minion 3Cs at my local shop that have been there forever, so it's buyer beware.

And dump, I think Michelin auto/truck tires now recommend replacement based on manufacture date rather than just wear so you wish is becoming the new reality.
Interesting that even the good tires are overstocked sometimes.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
All of them.

This man speaks the truth.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
All of them.

These friggin kidz...........

Think they know everything :D

edit: and back on point, yes a G5 is 10bucks better than a minion

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Hello Mr. Woo,

On your tire advice i purchased a pair of g5's. My dhr2's were spanked, so time for new shoes.
I raced at stevens this weekend and it was a mud fest. Pretty fun actually.

I found the dhr's2 a little too loose for my liking. I am a lazy bastard and i was not going to cut it. I really should have. But at 70$+ a tire, i shouldnt have to cut ****.

So the course was peanutbutter, ya know torrential rain storms then it stops. and some hard packed jumps, and all the other assortment of stuff on a trail, (cat2 riders standing in the corner on practice!)

It was ok in the peanut butter, only thing that would have been better were wet screams and i left them at home.........
On the rocks and hardpack it was a really great tire. I was really trying to break the front on a few corners that i know the dh2 would let go and it held its line. I was happy a camper.

Race run is another story.

Overall i agree with your review and i am happy about the switch. I would like the tire in a 1.5case now for my trail bike. Lets make a petition and send it to trek?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Walking past Summit Sport in Whistler village today and they have these puppies advertised for $50 each in the specials section on their front door. Given that a 3C Minion DHF will probably set you back well over $100 in the same store, that seems a hell of a deal.

Now I just need to convince the wife that I need to add to the tyre pile...