Quantcast

Bontrager G5 tire

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
I've been running these tires for about 6 months now. Hands down the best tire I've ever ridden! I don't know if they just match my style of weight distribution but they are amazing. The only thing that was annoying is that no one had them in Europe this year so it was hard to get replacements.
As the review says they need to be pumped more by Trek

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Interesting, as I am searching new tires for may rig.
I noticed that these rubbers are only avalaible in 2,35". How big is it compared to a DHF?

Do you use it only as a front tire now?

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
I'm not sure the 2.5s are real yet. They weren't on their site a month ago.

I've been looking for them too.

2.5's are real. I have ordered and received a set from dexter (the trek shop ordering system). So your Trek LBS should be able to get them...

LOTS of traction.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Great review, and looks like a great tire.

Woo, any possibility of getting a review of the Continental Kaiser Projekt 2.4, or some head-to-head comparison of the Kaiser and the G5?
I know you don't like the center knob design on the Kaiser Projekt, but it's not really stupid after all, and otherwise the riding characteristics sound pretty much like you described for the G5. I think I also have never had the front wash out on the Kaiser, it's a really great cornering tire.

Would be nice to know if you rate the G5 even higher than the Kaiser, since I've never tried or even seen the G5 in the flesh.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You are going to have to get them from a Trek retailer and most likely pay pretty close to retail unless you have a shop hookup. Sounds like they are worth it though.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Even all the cool kids getting wholesale prices are paying close to that for maxxis tires anyway.
This. I've paid retail for Specialized tires and they were pretty close to wholesale
for Maxxis. Which is odd considering who makes them...

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
we should all just hold hands and do a big order to save some monies.

with that said, i know someone whos got a biz lic, and there has been talks of registering with QPB.. if he ever gets his lazy ass around to filling it out and such, i will be trying a set of these (provided, i can get em from QBP)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

with that said, i know someone whos got a biz lic, and there has been talks of registering with QPB.. if he ever gets his lazy ass around to filling it out and such, i will be trying a set of these (provided, i can get em from QBP)
You can't.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Not the good ones.

If you're talking about jenson or some other retailer that gets tires from a warehouse they've been sitting in for god knows how long, that doesn't count. (IE some random HR1 maxxpro).
You don't buy tires online???

After 10 seconds of Googling, DHF 3C 2.5 2ply, in stock, $63:

http://www.bikebling.com/Maxxis-Minion-DHF-26-x-2-5-3C-Tire-p/maxxis-minion-dhf-3c-25.htm

Or from Amazon, with free two day shipping for members, also $63:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Minion-Mountain-Beaded-26x2-5/dp/B001GSKLXQ/ref=sr_1_3?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1378258221&sr=8-3&keywords=maxxis+dhf

I'm a pretty hard core bargain hunter, that's one reason I spec my bikes out with nice stuff... Haven't had a bad experience yet...

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Frankly.......no

But I did that exact same google search before that last post.

You're not really gettin what I'm sayin' here.

At this point lots of those maxxis tires have been out for years. Buying them off amazon is not the same thing as getting a tire made in the last few months. And a 3c minion might be as old as your biking career (or older).

I don't really care what you buy. Currently NEW maxxis tires are expensive. But just be aware that not all tires with the same name show up at your door in the same condition. "Unused" isn't the condition I'm talking about either.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

After 10 seconds of Googling, DHF 3C 2.5 2ply, in stock, $63:
The thing is, while the 3C DHF may be a current Maxxis model they have been making it for years and the tires you are most likely buying are old stock. Any shop, online or otherwise, that is buying new Maxxis stock cannot afford to sell them for $63.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Wow, I highly highly doubt that the tires at BikeBling and Amazon are any older than those in your LBS. My Amazon tires look completely squeeky clean and without any dust, still have the fresh rubber smell.

Y'all are crazy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ooh, dust free eh?
In all seriousness it's true: no one but you has ever bought tires from amazon. No one but you has ever sought out an internet deal for the cheapest price on a given product.

Just hope you never get any truly new tires. You'll be ruined.

Last edited:

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Does any major distributor carry them? I'll be damned if I pay retail.
If you have access to the major distributors why not just check for yourself instead of posting about how much you hate paying retail?

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Right, because I've never ever bought a tire 'fresh' from an LBS. Indeed I have one on my bike right now (Amazon.ca sucks balls).

So, Great Gandalf, how do you tell the difference between a fresh tire and an old tire?

Still not sure how a tire which stinks up my room with glorious rubber smell can be "old". But hey, what do I know, I only buy them and see them first hand.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

Yeah it's a lot harder than that to get a QBP account. They actually make sure you are an LBS. Many requirements. Don't ask me how I know.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
If you have access to the major distributors why not just check for yourself instead of posting about how much you hate paying retail?
Maybe because it's slightly more complicated than "just checking for myself"? Often times the published catalogs are out of date among other reasons.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
hmm, well thanks for the heads up. makes sense i suppose.
Yeah from the vibe I got I think about every bike rider and their mother who has a resellers permit or business liscense tries to get a QBP or BTI account. Their dealer apps are online, you can see what they require. And they don't budge on any of it. It would be pretty challenging if not impossible to fake it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have a set of newly issued Michelin DH tires (what was the Comp 16 2.5") in the shed with the new sidewalls, etc. I ran one recently and it chunked the side knobs off withing a few days. It's something I'd never seen in the Comp 16. Side knobs on it are first to go, but usually after a really good thrashing.

The center knobs on this tire as still sharp and the side knobs too. Wondered if the new batches didn't seal to the new casings like they did the old style or it dry rotted faster since they were no longer made in the same facilty of old. :think:

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Yeah from the vibe I got I think about every bike rider and their mother who has a resellers permit or business liscense tries to get a QBP or BTI account. Their dealer apps are online, you can see what they require. And they don't budge on any of it. It would be pretty challenging if not impossible to fake it.
i just looked it up.. you are correct sir. thanks again for the heads up.

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
Right, because I've never ever bought a tire 'fresh' from an LBS. Indeed I have one on my bike right now (Amazon.ca sucks balls).

So, Great Gandalf, how do you tell the difference between a fresh tire and an old tire?

Still not sure how a tire which stinks up my room with glorious rubber smell can be "old". But hey, what do I know, I only buy them and see them first hand.
Over time rubber hardens and has a "shelf life", end result is your 3 year old brand new super tacky's aren't that tacky after sitting in a warehouse or basement fot 3 years