Quantcast

BOO SNOWBOARDS

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If there's anything that needs to be banned more than e-bikes...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I think since then I am n-5. Haven’t really ridden much in a few years. Hopefully the new knee will alleviate some pain. Skiing absolutely destroys my knees, snowboard in powder, not so much.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heh. I still run into that guy at the local store occassionally. He lives in the next town over. Crazy tom burt lives somewhere in my hood. I see him riding his bike talking to himself every so often.

I just gave away an old late 80s kemper freestyle to the local snowboard shop to hang on the wall.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think since then I am n-5. Haven’t really ridden much in a few years. Hopefully the new knee will alleviate some pain. Skiing absolutely destroys my knees, snowboard in powder, not so much.
Why would anyone ski or snowboard not on powder?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I stopped doing lifts in the mid 80s. I preferred to Skin my way up some remote backcountry peak and Telemark off in untracked snow. Alas that stopped when The wife decided that one of us with blown knees was enough.

Best descent on boards or skis that I have seen/been on is to hike up to the top of Mt Shasta at 14,200' and go off the back side of the summit down some crazy chutes then either drop down the hotlum wintun glacier or traverse around and drop into avalance gulch via the red banks. Either way its a 7000' descent and so totally mind blowing

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
YEAH! Snowboarding is the worst!

Nice quiver @rideit ! I’ve never taken a pic of all my boards together... I don’t really even know how many there are upstairs... So I thought I would take up board building.

It’s funny how many photos there are of me in the Scott catalogs in full ski gear when I’ve only skied once and I’ve been a snowboard bum every winter with a seasons pass since 1996.
1607147361661.jpeg

I learned how to make all the tooling, molds, etc and made 3 powder boards from scratch last winter. It was a glorious experience.
C586D21C-4A5B-414F-AE12-F011F8042994.jpeg

I vacuum bagged over a heated camber mold made of strips of mdf wood, a heating blanket at skinned in a 3mm sheet of aluminum.
46F9FD0A-56FB-4DD9-8892-EFA520D45E19.jpeg

Out of the mold
4275063C-5869-4FAD-820A-A1C3FC1AE2BA.jpeg

The first one on the left rode surprisingly well so I thought I would add a bunch of carbon and totally ruin it, haha. The second one on the right was way too stiff and chattery with all that carbon. I learned that fiberglass is an incredible material and needs more respect.
47C2636D-3D3E-4C48-B1AF-3FC61F9870C5.jpeg
B09CC6C0-E479-407B-A30A-CE4D6D5BFA23.jpeg
FE6A36F0-46A4-4DE3-9316-A7D31F4AF0A4.jpeg
726D10FA-A67C-4A20-BE4A-02787554FE35.jpeg

The wife was pumped after this line!
362324D6-DB15-4D57-9F25-CBC4C3F725ED.jpeg

This is one of our favorite lift accessed couloirs. Switzerland has incredible lift access.
C63BA9B4-5422-4E8A-A46A-69B338D68E08.jpeg

Anyways, Snowboarding is the worst!

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
YEAH! Snowboarding is the worst!

Nice quiver @rideit ! I’ve never taken a pic of all my boards together... I don’t really even know how many there are upstairs... So I thought I would take up board building.

It’s funny how many photos there are of me in the Scott catalogs in full ski gear when I’ve only skied once and I’ve been a snowboard bum every winter with a seasons pass since 1996.
View attachment 153150

I learned how to make all the tooling, molds, etc and made 3 powder boards from scratch last winter. It was a glorious experience.
View attachment 153140

I vacuum bagged over a heated camber mold made of strips of mdf wood, a heating blanket at skinned in a 3mm sheet of aluminum.
View attachment 153142

Out of the mold
View attachment 153143

The first one on the left rode surprisingly well so I thought I would add a bunch of carbon and totally ruin it, haha. The second one on the right was way too stiff and chattery with all that carbon. I learned that fiberglass is an incredible material and needs more respect.
View attachment 153137View attachment 153145View attachment 153146View attachment 153147

The wife was pumped after this line!
View attachment 153148

This is one of our favorite lift accessed couloirs. Switzerland has incredible lift access.
View attachment 153149

Anyways, Snowboarding is the worst!
sooooo...my takeaway from all this is that we should be on the lookout for a fiberglas ransom in 2021, no?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
sooooo...my takeaway from all this is that we should be on the lookout for a fiberglas ransom in 2021, no?
Haha... I did try and get them to think about it. I didn’t gain much traction. It could dampen the ride....maybe... Talking about damp rides... I just asked a friend to make me a (@toodles Enduro Seat Toob Angled) steel front end to bolt a carbon Gambler rear end. It might be fun due to unsprung weight theories and chassis flex ideas.

This was part of the POW board quiver before I started making more.
1607149318863.jpeg

You guys should hit me up if you’re ever over here. I have snowboard gear to lend!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You ride chairlifts?
well, that’s your problem there, sonny

Few things embody why I despise "mountain culture" more than this statement. I can't think of any other situation where I could find myself in close quarters with people who I would like to stab in neck more than a gondola. And why I will never spend a cent to ride one until I get to the point where I need a bunch of cunts in close quarters who need stabbing in the neck.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Few things embody why I despise "mountain culture" more than this statement. I can't think of any other situation where I could find myself in close quarters with people who I would like to stab in neck more than a gondola. And why I will never spend a cent to ride one until I get to the point where I need a bunch of cunts in close quarters who need stabbing in the neck.
So how do you ride downhill on a proper DH bike then?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So how do you ride downhill on a proper DH bike then?
I don't. As much as folks like to think DH is the rugged blue collar corner of mountain biking it is pretty much the same crowd. Not a lot of rags to World Cup DH riches stories out there.

The one year I rode DH, all the regulars were on RM and got banned for being giant assholes. I am pretty sure it was a statistical irregularity it certainly didn't make me think it wasn't the same winter crowd just covered in dust.

The saving grace to the sport is that these days people have year round pedal bike options that are lift serve capable.

DH bikes are not the gateway drug, it is the cocaine.

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Where you at?

Was just looking at a job in bozo town.

Was actually thinking I'd buy passes again at bridger, which I got excited about.
Then I looked at housing prices in bozo town.
I'm in Minnesota.

Knees can't take the stress, I can't afford the tickets, travel, time away.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Montana, Minnesota, Madagascar whatever.
Oops
Derpaderp.

Jesus, you really have taken some headshots eh?

For me it is dates, at least in the past. I can figure out my future appointments but I can't tell you the difference between 2016 and 2006.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jesus, you really have taken some headshots eh?

For me it is dates, at least in the past. I can figure out my future appointments but I can't tell you the difference between 2016 and 2006.
The truth is his avatar looks roughly like montana rider's at a quick peripheral shitty glance on a phone. I do that shit all the time....associate people with a general impression of their avatar and then don't actually look at the name.

What's a 2006?

Last edited: