Quantcast

BOO SNOWBOARDS

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I don't. As much as folks like to think DH is the rugged blue collar corner of mountain biking it is pretty much the same crowd. Not a lot of rags to World Cup DH riches stories out there.

The one year I rode DH, all the regulars were on RM and got banned for being giant assholes. I am pretty sure it was a statistical irregularity it certainly didn't make me think it wasn't the same winter crowd just covered in dust.

The saving grace to the sport is that these days people have year round pedal bike options that are lift serve capable.

DH bikes are not the gateway drug, it is the cocaine.
You are hanging out an awful lot in the downhill forum for someone who doesn't ride DH or owns a DH bike then. Just do like the rest of us, get a token DH bike that never sees any kind of use (Udi and buckoW are exceptions) and at least pretend you are one of the cool kids. Jeez! ;) :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You are hanging out an awful lot in the downhill forum for someone who doesn't ride DH or owns a DH bike then. Just do like the rest of us, get a token DH bike that never sees any kind of use (Udi and buckoW are exceptions) and at least pretend you are one of the cool kids. Jeez! ;) :D

You mean that forum currently dominated by discussions of 3 bike companies that don't currently have a DH offering, single crown forks, dropper posts and 12 speed drivetrains?
:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Because they live in Australia.
We ice skate down the hills, our snow it that poor.
I say it in jest because our "big" ski resort is Alyeska and everything on the lower mountain becomes insane ice, unskiable. It can be decent on the upper mountain, but everyone flocks to a new section that opens in less than 5 minutes and it gets completely skied out. If the North Face (double black 2000' vert) is open, that can be decent, but it's about as rare as a coherent Giuliani court case, we just don't get those conditions top to bottom, the bottom of that mountain is just too low (sea level).

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
dafuq is that thing with the plate bindings? :rofl:
Haha, I never rode that one. I found it at the dump. Pete the owner of Unity Snowboards once told me he learned to ride halfpipe on one of those!
I started riding on a Morrow Spoon at Purgatory, CO. I managed to ride 90 days a year while attending Ft. Lewis those first 2 years.

This is pretty funny
B4CB271B-897B-40CD-BC81-D8AAE9E5FFAB.jpeg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
french mountain people in the 80s

eeesh

Lick it and see if it still tastes like cigarettes
It still smells like smoke.... I bet it was sick back then!

I never rode hard boots but Damian Sanders rode the shit outta them and he wasn’t a Frenchie. Squaw Valley local right?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
french mountain people in the 80s

eeesh

Lick it and see if it still tastes like cigarettes
My cousin is one of those French mountain people (born and raised in Les Gets). He grew up in the 80s... was one of the first people I knew on a snowboard (in fact, he started on mono-skis before snow boards were a thing). He's also the only person I've seen carve so hard he could touch the back of his head to the snow. He was on hard boots. I don't snowboard (because I live on the ice coast), but he opened my eyes to how awesome they can be...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Haha, I never rode that one. I found it at the dump. Pete the owner of Unity Snowboards once told me he learned to ride halfpipe on one of those!
I started riding on a Morrow Spoon at Purgatory, CO. I managed to ride 90 days a year while attending Ft. Lewis those first 2 years.

This is pretty funny
I had a Morrow spoon, cutting edge technology at the time if you didn’t want to catch your edges. But good lord, was it a handful on groomers/ice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i haven't snowboarded since college... maybe 2007? in high school i had seasons passes to 7 springs in western PA. i'd get a sandwich from subway the night before, take a thermos full of hot water for ramen, and leave early in the morning to get firsties.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Meadow skipping yesterday on zero base with a bunch old friends. The wet and heavy snow made up for no base and we could ride down to the valley floor through farmers’ fields. That’s the best stuff here on low light days. The barb wire fences are like ski run markers and park jibs.

BA6AC05C-DA18-4B34-848B-78E36209C83E.jpeg

I had a Morrow spoon, cutting edge technology at the time if you didn’t want to catch your edges. But good lord, was it a handful on groomers/ice.
Steep Ice makes traditional shaped boards relevant every time! Burton has some new spoon style boards. Way more angular but similar idea. The Bataleons also have that idea. What are you running? This Salomon Wolle Nyvelt felt pretty good yesterday. On steep and icy entries to couloirs last year I hated this thing but it’s pretty nice in pow. That’s my wife’s favorite powder board on the left. It’s a one off from a small brand in Colorado.

image.jpg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yesterday was amazing. We didn’t realize it snowed up top that much overnight!

4E7C98BE-A49E-4CC2-A14E-8E261CB189DC.jpeg

DF211ADE-C498-43DB-A191-3641DBDD4A85.jpeg

The visibility was better on the second run.
Same couloir but we switched I took the photo and my brother did the riding.

204BA7B5-5977-49C6-9C59-EFC0142680E6.jpeg

Anybody else getting any turns yet?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Haha, for sure! Anything goes in 2020.

I wasn’t ready for this! I was having a great time giving nice and tasteful modern bowlz and riding dirt bikes. I too have a piston on my workbench all ready to go. It was a complete surprise and I bought day passes because I didn’t get my seasons pass yet.

You have a 150 exc right?

8860C41A-8C7C-454A-8CB3-BBEE9BA521BC.jpeg
B918D1A1-8FEC-4762-A525-65DF61E45582.jpeg
A7D63B09-4899-451D-A189-E64D012F1DF6.jpeg

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yes.... We don’t get one type of snow. Depending on where it’s coming from it’s either warm and wet or cold and light. Then the sun fucks it eitherway. It would be less than ideal normally but with absolutely no base it was perfect to fill in some of the rocks, holes and ride down to the valley floor. (same woods as the WC DH track). It did rip out on me and I rode next to a decent slough that turned into a nice slide. Smarting hard.

Sounds like a sweet bike. I had a 200 exc a while ago. Are you riding desert stuff at speed where the harder SX suspension feels good? Why the sx? I don’t know much about it but I usually ride the exc versions for the plates and softer suspension. I put a Lectron carb on my 300 exc recently because I can’t seem to figure out altitude and carbs. It’s amazing!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes.... We don’t get one type of snow. Depending on where it’s coming from it’s either warm and wet or cold and light. Then the sun fucks it eitherway. It would be less than ideal normally but with absolutely no base it was perfect to fill in some of the rocks, holes and ride down to the valley floor. (same woods as the WC DH track). It did rip out on me and I rode next to a decent slough that turned into a nice slide. Smarting hard.

Sounds like a sweet bike. I had a 200 exc a while ago. Are you riding desert stuff at speed where the harder SX suspension feels good? Why the sx? I don’t know much about it but I usually ride the exc versions for the plates and softer suspension. I put a Lectron carb on my 300 exc recently because I can’t seem to figure out altitude and carbs. It’s amazing!
Heh, sun.....same here usually. Paste is good early season. We just don't have any yet.

Riding some desert stuff now but I treat speed with respect (IE: fear). Some of the guys I ride with are on 450-650 4 strokes that hit gigantic whoops comfortably at about 50mph and I have no desire to mess with that shit.

I only bought the sx because they're abundant and cheap, and I didn't want any more weight than absolutely necessary. I also bought it a week before everything shut down here for covid and all toy prices shot through the roof. It was the same price as my v10 frame. Plus I just know two stroke motors and jetting from sleds so figured I could get it dialed. Plus linkage suspension. I put an xplor fork off ebay on it, a 36mm carb for low end punch and mostly just built a mountain woods singletrack bike that weighs less than any trail moto sold. Best quarantine toy I could have ever possibly bought. Got 100 hours on it since May.

solid haircuts btw

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Riding some desert stuff now but I treat speed with respect (IE: fear). Some of the guys I ride with are on 450-650 4 strokes that hit gigantic whoops comfortably at about 50mph and I have no desire to mess with that shit.
Oh come on. What's the worst that can happen??

Oh, right.

That.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Early on up here I used to like riding freshly graded gravel roads at 90 mph on my GPZ. One had a railroad crossing that served as a pretty good launch point. This led, one day, to a lecture from a state cop who said he was tired of recovering motorcyclists from roadside ditches.
That got you a lecture? Got a friend of mine arrested, loss of license and a hefty fine.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yesterday was amazing. We didn’t realize it snowed up top that much overnight!

View attachment 153608

View attachment 153606

The visibility was better on the second run.
Same couloir but we switched I took the photo and my brother did the riding.

View attachment 153609

Anybody else getting any turns yet?
Dents Du Midi!
Damn I miss seeing those hills!
Only turns I'm doing down here are on the bike.
People have been taunting me with pics from my place just over the hill from you (got an apartment 100m from the base station of the Grande Terche).
Hopefully next year when international travel from NZ is back on the cards. :(

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Dents Du Midi!
Damn I miss seeing those hills!
Only turns I'm doing down here are on the bike.
People have been taunting me with pics from my place just over the hill from you (got an apartment 100m from the base station of the Grande Terche).
Hopefully next year when international travel from NZ is back on the cards. :(
I think you guys would be more than welcome in Switzerland these days! I’ll even properly sanitize the bowl and give you a celebratory trim with a view of the Dents and a beer! Haha. One day.....

5039BE6F-4081-4643-9D16-3B2A8A451F57.jpeg
AA602686-CC41-457C-9DE2-1473207410AB.jpeg

I started making a new board last night. Old Black Sabbath tunes and completely blowing it on the router sled.... It was supposed to be 6.2mm core tapered down to 2.2mm.... Oops... too high, haha.

5AC53ABF-3284-40DF-8897-2BBD1028AACE.jpeg
ACD5D076-C126-4FCC-955B-2E928402E50A.jpeg

5F9DDDE7-276D-4C7E-BCEF-119DC526A9AB.jpeg

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Did you run that Libtech at some point? How sh!tty was it to ride? :D
Haha!!! No! I inherited that board because none of our friends can ride it on the traverses out of the pow runs. It turns the opposite direction than you think and are used to... like you turn right and it goes left. So funny watching people ride it! It’s like those Shane McConkey Machette Volant skis. They only kinda work in untracked snow. I like interesting designs! I should hang it next to the Lahar.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Haha!!! No! I inherited that board because none of our friends can ride it on the traverses out of the pow runs. It turns the opposite direction than you think and are used to... like you turn right and it goes left. So funny watching people ride it! It’s like those Shane McConkey Machette Volant skis. They only kinda work in untracked snow. I like interesting designs! I should hang it next to the Lahar.
I imagine. :D
Always was surprised that such a lousy design could come out from Libtech and Rice. I mean, that thing definitely wasn't going to work.
I have a soft spot for boards from Gentemstick and Korua. Riding myself a Korua Stealth on deep days. Daily driver is a Salomon Super 8, as splitboard I use a Rossignol XV, but damn that thing is STIFF.

IMG_20191230_112113.jpg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I imagine. :D
Always was surprised that such a lousy design could come out from Libtech and Rice. I mean, that thing definitely wasn't going to work.
I have a soft spot for boards from Gentemstick and Korua. Riding myself a Korua Stealth on deep days. Daily driver is a Salomon Super 8, as splitboard I use a Rossignol XV, but damn that thing is STIFF.
Nice taste in boards! I’ve always like what Taro Tamai was doing and his board are very interesting. Which one do you have?
Korea’s are sweet too! I have a Pencil currently and I loved the Tranny Finder I had last year. I‘m liking the Salomon x Wolle Nyvelt wider one too.

I got a lot done on the new board last night. I did a 6mm core tapered down to 2mm thick.... Hopefully that’s the ticket. I used a jig to drill the core for the inserts so the holes are straight. I made a few boards where the inserts were so far out you had to drill the bindings to line them up. It‘s so faster and much easier now with a jig.

My wife cut the beans and had a glass of wine while I was bending edges. Bending edges is the least fun part and we made it into an apéro. One more edge to go and then I’m ready for layup.

831DC561-C699-4A62-AEC7-9D698F096A53.jpeg
16A81113-B25B-428B-BCC8-8520C564F6D9.jpeg
979E4074-B9FE-4D75-AE81-DA5D42202447.jpeg
38E60F40-9511-4875-8C2D-85527673E5A5.jpeg

Last edited: