Quantcast

Boobies...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's the same "awareness" bull**** as Livestrong.

Of course, making sure that poor women can't get breast cancer screening is a great way to prevent abortions. It's tough to get an abortion when you're dead, like Jesus wants you to be.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Of course, making sure that poor women can't get breast cancer screening is a great way to prevent abortions.
bzzzt

or, as applicable here, make sure contributions toward finding a cure for breast cancer are more sharply focused on just that.

isn't like the money no longer going to PP is festering in a pile, just to mock tehmontajeu

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
isn't like the money no longer going to PP is festering in a pile, just to mock tehmontajeu
I seem to have missed the part of the announcement that stated "and instead of giving the $700k to Planned Parenthood, SGK will be donating that money to XXXXXXXX Organization that is also focused on ensuring that women in poverty have adequate access to mammograms and cancer screenings." Care to show me?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Never will give any money to that group again.

Not that a ribbon has cured S--t ever.
Liar. Putting a temporary, easily-removed $2.99 yellow magnet that says "I support our troops" on the back of a gas-guzzling SUV has cured millions of Americans of the guilt of sending hundreds of thousands of Americans to war in various parts of the Middle East and Central Asia.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
PP doesn't just serve the 'poor' so making this a class issue is off base.
IMO their biggest benefit is providing young people, who may otherwise be limited to a family physician, an objective source of info. They are the antidote to 'values based' sex ed and ignorant parents.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Putting a temporary, easily-removed $2.99 yellow magnet on the back of a gas-guzzling SUV
My yellow ribbon symbolizes my quest for the return of 1970's gas prices. Being committed to that goal, it's riveted on.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I seem to have missed the part of the announcement that stated "and instead of giving the $700k to Planned Parenthood, SGK will be donating that money to XXXXXXXX Organization that is also focused on ensuring that women in poverty have adequate access to mammograms and cancer screenings." Care to show me?
turns out to be worse than i had first expected:
Komen spokeswoman Leslie Aun said the charity recently adopted criteria barring grants to organizations that are under investigation by local, state or federal authorities.
but let me guess: the source's politics for an investigation are relevant, up until the point it isn't

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Total coincidence that shortly after hiring a rabidly anti-choice Vice President, SGK comes out with a new policy that states that they can't donate to organizations that are under investigation, even if said investigation hasn't actually *gone* anywhere and is labeled by most as a blatantly political move.

Komen's new vice president, Karen Handel, had run for governor of Georgia in 2010 on an aggressively anti-abortion and anti-Planned Parenthood platform and was endorsed by Sarah Palin because of her opposition to reproductive choice. Handel wrote in her campaign blog that she "do[es] not support the mission of Planned Parenthood."

"During my time as Chairman of Fulton County, there were federal and state pass-through grants that were awarded to Planned Parenthood for breast and cervical cancer screening, as well as a 'Healthy Babies Initiative,'" Handel wrote. "Since grants like these are from the state I'll eliminate them as your next Governor." She also wrote that she opposes stem cell research and supports crisis pregnancy centers, which are unregulated, Christian-run operations whose main mission is to convince pregnant women not to have abortions.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
PP doesn't just serve the 'poor' so making this a class issue is off base.
IMO their biggest benefit is providing young people, who may otherwise be limited to a family physician, an objective source of info. They are the antidote to 'values based' sex ed and ignorant parents.
That is true, 100%.

Of course, the hateful cunts that $tinkle spends Sundays with would point out that's a horrible horrible and terrible thing in itself...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Total coincidence that shortly after hiring a rabidly anti-choice Vice President, SGK comes out with a new policy that states that they can't donate to organizations that are under investigation, even if said investigation hasn't actually *gone* anywhere and is labeled by most as a blatantly political move.
just like it's a total coincidence you suddenly care about purely politically motivated investigations

{sniff}

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Since my wife just had a double mastectomy due to a screening that saved her life, and no one from Komen came to visit or offer support or anything, they can kiss my ass. Anything that gets every women screened is worth any amount of money, regardless of who pays for it, supports it, provides it, etc. I fvcking hate all politicians.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a few further observations/queries
- if PP truly is concerned for women's health issues, why not now divert funds from performing abortions into screening used to save women's lives? IOW, why are they playing political football w/ women's lives?
- how much age-demographic overlap is there b/t females who receive abortions, and those who receive life-saving cancer screening from PP?
- however, when taking the freakanomics point-of-view, by performing abortions, PP is 100% preventing cancer of all types for hundreds of thousands per anum

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if you are not for perfect tits, you must be against me.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
- if PP truly is concerned for women's health issues, why not now divert funds from performing abortions into screening used to save women's lives? IOW, why are they playing political football w/ women's lives?
- how much age-demographic overlap is there b/t females who receive abortions, and those who receive life-saving cancer screening from PP?
- however, when taking the freakanomics point-of-view, by performing abortions, PP is 100% preventing cancer of all types for hundreds of thousands per anum
I can't tell if you're just still trolling or are actually evil, but either way, welcome to the ignore list. It's more than tiresome.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I can't tell if you're just still trolling or are actually evil, but either way, welcome to the ignore list. It's more than tiresome.
so it's evil to be perceived as trolling (i'm not), but willfully choosing not to immediately take action to backfill the gap for life saving cancer screening is what? inconvenient, or just bureaucratic?

evil can no longer have any meaning to you if you are unwilling to understand what may not fit your worldview. you should feel shame that even i make the effort, but honestly, how can you?

to place on ignore list without addressing issues === fingers in ears

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
so it's evil to be perceived as trolling (i'm not), but willfully choosing not to immediately take action to backfill the gap for life saving cancer screening is what? inconvenient, or just bureaucratic?

evil can no longer have any meaning to you if you are unwilling to understand what may not fit your worldview. you should feel shame that even i make the effort, but honestly, how can you?

to place on ignore list without addressing issues === fingers in ears
See above reference to you just not putting in the effort anymore.

From an LA Times article:

Planned Parenthood Federation of America has launched a Breast Health Emergency Fund to ensure continued funding to the 19 Planned Parenthood affiliates that will soon lose their Komen grants, seeded with $250,000 from the Amy and Lee Fikes family foundation.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Do you accuse your wife of making you hit her?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
See above reference to you just not putting in the effort anymore.

From an LA Times article:
while i welcome the effort, "starting a fund" is the not the same as re-portioning slices of your pie. you know, a fundamental principle when revenue stream is negatively affected.

how is this difficult to grasp? is it b/c you lot are unwilling to decrease dedicated or earmarked funds toward abortions?

and why are you pro-choice, up until the point it's not your choice?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Soooo..... Planned Parenthood *shouldn't* use the half-million in donations to replace the funds lost due to SGK's decision, and instead should turn down that money and direct money from one desperately needed service to another? If donors are willing to stand up and (quickly) replace the money, why would PP arbitrarily cut funding for access to one area just to appease the wing-nuts who wanted that result in the first place? I'm so confused.

My guess is that the outcry will actually result in *more* money for PP than was cut by SGK, both for mammograms as well as general funds, and if SGK actually follows through with earmarking that same $700k for early detection somewhere else it will mean a win for everyone: More money for breast exams, more money for PP (abortions for everyone!!!!), and I don't have to feel guilty about not spending the extra 15% on something just because it's "pink".

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Soooo..... Planned Parenthood *shouldn't* use the half-million in donations to replace the funds lost due to SGK's decision, and instead should turn down that money and direct money from one desperately needed service to another? If donors are willing to stand up and (quickly) replace the money, why would PP arbitrarily cut funding for access to one area just to appease the wing-nuts who wanted that result in the first place? I'm so confused.

My guess is that the outcry will actually result in *more* money for PP than was cut by SGK, both for mammograms as well as general funds, and if SGK actually follows through with earmarking that same $700k for early detection somewhere else it will mean a win for everyone: More money for breast exams, more money for PP (abortions for everyone!!!!), and I don't have to feel guilty about not spending the extra 15% on something just because it's "pink".
Jeebus. Are you psychic or did you already read this? :panic:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i believe your confusion is in part due to conflating "donations" with "pledges"

show me the money, or show me your tits
that could certainly be viewed as win/win if the shift in funding is in perpetuity, not just for a season
his dreams are filled with a hand on the back of his head....
$5 to start
$10 to stop

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Jeebus. Are you psychic or did you already read this? :panic:
I have to laugh at the media's desperate attempt to show parity for all sides.... The moveon.org's 250,000 signatures are "countered by groups such as thankskomen.com, which said it opposed Planned Parenthood, invited people to give their personal information and have the option of being kept informed about “pro-life developments."" A quick perusal of the signatures shows that only ~1250 people have signed that petition.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I have to laugh at the media's desperate attempt to show parity for all sides.... The moveon.org's 250,000 signatures are "countered by groups such as thankskomen.com, which said it opposed Planned Parenthood, invited people to give their personal information and have the option of being kept informed about “pro-life developments."" A quick perusal of the signatures shows that only ~1250 people have signed that petition.
is this *your* a-game? you have yet to convince me of your intellectual honesty when it come to truly being "pro-choice", not just "pro-*my*-choice"

"parity for all sides" indeed

oh, and online petitions? srsly? i wonder how many "margaret sangers" signed moveon's?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
is this *your* a-game? you have yet to convince me of your intellectual honesty when it come to truly being "pro-choice", not just "pro-*my*-choice"

"parity for all sides" indeed

oh, and online petitions? srsly? i wonder how many "margaret sangers" signed moveon's?
Online advocacy seemed to work pretty well for SOPA and PIPA.