Quantcast

Books of 2004

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
as a way of cleaning up my burgeoning (and messy!) reading list, here are the books that i most enjoyed reading in 2004:

bukowski's notes of a dirty old man, on the recommendation of burlyshirly of all people :oink: . it was crude, it was uneven in its quality, but much of it was hilarious.

w. somerset maugham's the razor's edge. typically i don't like "society" or "people" novels, but maugham's writing was good enough to make it all enjoyable.

tom wolfe's a man in full. i have to admit that i've never read through all of bonfire of the vanities, but i'm tempted to after this book. the portrayal of the racial tension in atlanta struck a nerve, and the story itself was well worth the however-many-hundreds-of-pages.

a combined nod goes to alfred bester's the demolished man and frederik pohl's the merchant's war, with the recommendation for the pohl coming from a thread here on rm that i can't find. i grouped them since i figured if you like early sci fi you'll like them both. (on a similar idea, if you like gibson's neuromancer you'll probably love stephenson's snow crash.)

finally, peter matthiessen's "at play in the fields of the lord" gets the final spot on this random list. it paints a world far from what you or i know that nevertheless exists half way around the world this very day, and the language doesn't beat you about the head a la pohl... :D

what books did you guys like that you read in 2004?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Toshi said:
as a way of cleaning up my burgeoning (and messy!) reading list, here are the books that i most enjoyed reading in 2004:

<snip>what books did you guys like that you read in 2004?
I got a chance to read "Enemy at the Gate" which was an excellent read - but don't expect a "novel" - this one is a history book.

I read Lord of the Rings for the second time. Just as good if not better than the first time through.

Ernest Hemingway's To Have and Have Not - a bit disjointed it seemed, but classic Hemingway style.

-S.S.-

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Toshi said:

tom wolfe's a man in full. i have to admit that i've never read through all of bonfire of the vanities, but i'm tempted to after this book. the portrayal of the racial tension in atlanta struck a nerve, and the story itself was well worth the however-many-hundreds-of-pages.
Interesting, I felt the book was more critical of the corporate world than anything. I'll re-read it.

I read Wolfe's, Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates this year and found it to be an excerice in narcissism more than anything else.

Has anyone read I Am Charlotte Simmons yet?

EDIT

I enjoyed A Brief History of Almost Everything by Bill Bryson. I'm not a science guy by any strech, but I did become engaged in the subject matter.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
McGRP01 said:
The Dark Tower : I-VII :thumb:
I just got VII for Christmas. Don't think I have any time to read it until this summer. :( I-IV were pretty good, but I think they started to fall off a bit in the more recent ones. Just not as sharp. Plot elements seem more gimmicky than inventive.

I just finished Little Children by Tom Perrotta. It was pretty good. Not too serious or anything, but well done. Just a fun read. I read Election, The Wishbones and Joe College this summer by Perrotta this summer and enjoyed them all.

Other than that, pretty much all my reading has been academic, which is fun in its own way.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
ummbikes said:
Interesting, I felt [A Man in Full] was more critical of the corporate world than anything. I'll re-read it.

[...]

I enjoyed A Brief History of Almost Everything by Bill Bryson. I'm not a science guy by any strech, but I did become engaged in the subject matter.
criticism of the corporate world was a big theme, but i thought the black/white-black/white/poor dynamic was dominant. freaknik, the wrecking yard, and the jail were powerful scenes...

that bryson book has been on my list for a year, but it's buried too far down. i'll have to bump it up a few notches :thumb:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
ummbikes said:
Interesting, I felt the book was more critical of the corporate world than anything. I'll re-read it.

I read Wolfe's, Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates this year and found it to be an excerice in narcissism more than anything else.

Has anyone read I Am Charlotte Simmons yet?

EDIT

I just finished Charlotte Simmons. It's a pretty good book, it was the first Tom Wolfe book I have read. After seeing what you guys thought of Man in Full, I think I'll go pick it up today.

My picks for 2004 are......

Endurance, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. Great book! Amazing true story of survival in the Antarctic. They have also been showing the documentary on channel 9 lately.

Good Grief by Lolly Winston. Yes, it's a total chick book, but very well written. Takes you though the pain of a woman losing her baby from SIDS and regaining her life.

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen. Hilarious and suspenseful story of what will go wrong, does when a man tossing his wife overboard to collect her inheritance.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
too bad i dont have a good memeory, when i get hom i'll list al lthe books i read this year. there are lots of them.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Lots of C.S. Lewis-The Problem with Pain was probably my favorite, The Abolition of Man, The Great Divorce is a re-read from every year-favorite. The Bible, everyday as I feel led. The Imitation of Christ by one of those really old monks. Enders Game and the entire series thereafter was pretty amazing and fullfilling for sure-Orson Scott Card is the author-pretty fun stuff especially the first two (Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Breath and Shadow was a sleeper hit that I got all my family into.Mother-in-law ended up getting all of the author's novels and ate them up. Historical fiction, fun stuff. Can't remember the authors name right now, sorry. That's all I remember.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
biggins said:
too bad i dont have a good memeory, when i get hom i'll list al lthe books i read this year. there are lots of them.
You know, I have the same problem. I'll get through 100 pages in a book and all of a sudden I :think: "Goddammit, I've read this before" :rolleyes:

It's hell to get old, isn't it Biggins?

-S.S.-

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
here goes

a walk in the woods-bill bryson
Fierce invalids home from hotm climates-tom robbins
the main woods-thoreau
even brook trout get the blues-john gierach
unzipping my fly, moments in the life of an american sportsman-rich tosches
cold mountain-charles frazier
fight club-chuck palahniuk
the french broad-wilma dykman
far family-wilma dykman
the life story of a downhill gravity goddess-marla streb
the last american man-elizabeth gilbert
its not about the bike-lance armstrong
stupid white men-michael moore
dude wheres my country-michael moore
rush limbough is a big fat idiot-al franken
lies and the lying liars who tell them-al franken
sex,death, and flyfishing-john gierach
the immortal class, bike messengers and the cult of human power-travis culley
by the river peidra i sat down and wept-by the guy who wrote the alchemist
the alchemist
Johnny Cash-johnny cash
touching my fathers soul-lohpsang norgay

well i might be forgetting one or two but that pretty much sums it up

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
biggins, of that list what was good, what was ok, what was awful?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
manziman said:
Biggins...you actually read all those? man, you have some free time.
methinks you should watch less tv :nuts: . attached is my more-or-less complete list of what i read for fun in 2004, with part of 2003 tacked on. page count in 2004 was right around 5000 pages, tailing off sharply once school began :dead:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
manziman said:
it's not so much tv..but lots of other activities that don't include reading...(ie: biking, school, socializing...)
the sooner the better that you learn that all of the above can and should be sacrificed to read books, alone in a dark corner somewhere... :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I have tons of other things in my life that keep me busy, but I feel I need to read. It lets me/or my mind escape from all the stress going on in my life. Plus sometimes I even learn a thing or two!

I make time to read, even if it's going to bed 15 minutes early to get in a few chapters, it make my life feel more complete.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well the only book I can remember reading is "Shaking Hands with the Devil" about the rwanda genocide, writing by general romeo dallaire. Very good and moving book.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
A lot. Probibly close to 15 or 20 thousand pages worth. Thats what happens when you get involved in some pretty long series(s) and can read (give or take a few) 100pgs an hour...

Lots of good stuff and a little bad. Since I happen to like the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre not all of the books were really thought provokers, just a way to pass time when bored...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manziman said:
it's not so much tv..but lots of other activities that don't include reading...(ie: biking, school, socializing...)
in the time between say, 8PM and 10PM, there's plenty of time for reading, even say twice a week.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
narlus said:
in the time between say, 8PM and 10PM, there's plenty of time for reading, even say twice a week.
Don't get me wrong, I love to read, it's just the lack of time. I'm stuck in 2-4 hours of homework a night with coaching volleyball, working 30 hours a week and trying to find time to eat. The only real time I get to read is when i'm in the bathroom...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Toshi said:

bukowski's notes of a dirty old man, on the recommendation of burlyshirly of all people :oink: . it was crude, it was uneven in its quality, but much of it was hilarious.

If you liked that you might like Hubrt Selby Jr. "Last Exit to Brooklyn" and "The Demon" were pretty good when I read them about 15 years ago.

If you are into travel check out Harold Stephens "Who Needs a Road:The Story of the Longest and Last Motor Journey around the World"

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Books I really enjoyed this year...in random order:

Zodiac by Neal Stephenson

Darwin's Dangerous Idea by Daniel Dennett

On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Got a stack of books for xmas. First one on my list to read is George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia", his account of the Spanish Civil War.