Quantcast

Books you're reading.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
i'm starting to re-read Stephen King's Dark Tower series. i read the first 3 but haven't read the remainding books and since it's been so long since i've read them i gotta re-read to remember what the hell's going on.
Good call. Book 3 or 4, whichever was longest, was easily my favorite. It was a shame the series peaked too soon imo. Books 6 and 7 were painfully tough to get through, so much that I had to stop reading for a few weeks before getting back into it.

I'm finishing up Learned Optimism by Dr. Seligman.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
The Book of Masonry Stoves
Rediscovering an Old Way of Warming

By David Lyle.

Boy are you folks in for some mind blow entertainment reading this book...

Actually is isnt to bad. Kind of slow reading through the history of the stove. It basically starts with the discovery of fire and goes on and on and on. I am looking forward to getting to the actual modern masonry stoves. Any one looking for the most efficient methods of home heating should look into them.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Just finished On The Wild Edge by David Petersen.
Started Moveable Feast yesterday & am currently also reading Fear & Loathing in LV for the third time now.

Others I recently finished...The Kitchen Readings, The Great Shark Hunt, The Home Brewers Handbook, & Botany of Desire (i had to put this one down).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm reading Tipperary: A Novel, by Frank DeLaney and it is pretty good. But it is not nearly as compelling a read as DeLaney's other novel entiled, Ireland. I highly recommend Ireland to anyone out there who is interested in all things Eire!

Cheers,

Mark

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i've been reading.....charlie huston

these in the last month or two

Last edited:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Just finished Shantaram. 930 pages but an extraordinary read.
That WAS a good one.

I'm currently re-reading the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I think that Robinson is a visionary genius, although the third one ( Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars) does drag a bit.

any Monkies on Goodreads?

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am almost done with Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Dorris Goodwin and my next book will be Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Right now I'm reading 4 books at once, each of them are short story types.

Kurt Vonneguts book with Cat's Cradle, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater and Slaughterhouse Five

Stephen King: Everythings Eventual

The best of "Outside" magazines first 20 years

Homegrown by Dennis Rogers. He's a former writer for our local paper and this is a collection of stories with local humor and history.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'm a few dozen pages into "The Zookeeper's Wife." Having a little trouble getting into it, but it's supposed to be real good.

toby

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
i'm starting to re-read Stephen King's Dark Tower series. i read the first 3 but haven't read the remainding books and since it's been so long since i've read them i gotta re-read to remember what the hell's going on.
Good call. Book 3 or 4, whichever was longest, was easily my favorite. It was a shame the series peaked too soon imo. Books 6 and 7 were painfully tough to get through, so much that I had to stop reading for a few weeks before getting back into it.
Hile!

I've been re-reading the series for a couple months now, I'm almost at the end of Wizard and Glass(Starts with Blaine and ends with Roland's First Ka-tet in Mejis). I can't believe how much of the story I had forgetten....not just details. It took me from 1991-2005 to read the series last time. I'll be done by the end of the summer.

I was disappointed by books 6 and 7 last time, but I have a feeling I'm going to like them better this time. I think I read them too fast because I needed to get to the tower. Now that I know what's there, I can enjoy the journey.

I recently bought the Graphic Novels as well.

If you read and liked the books, these fan trailers for fictional movies are entertaining.

Thankee Sai,
Long Days and Pleasant Nights

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Hile!

I've been re-reading the series for a couple months now, I'm almost at the end of Wizard and Glass(Starts with Blaine and ends with Roland's First Ka-tet in Mejis). I can't believe how much of the story I had forgetten....not just details. It took me from 1991-2005 to read the series last time. I'll be done by the end of the summer.

I was disappointed by books 6 and 7 last time, but I have a feeling I'm going to like them better this time. I think I read them too fast because I needed to get to the tower. Now that I know what's there, I can enjoy the journey.

I recently bought the Graphic Novels as well.

If you read and liked the books, these fan trailers for fictional movies are entertaining.

Thankee Sai,
Long Days and Pleasant Nights
Good call!!! The last one I read was Wizard and Glass and then kind of lost track of the series. I would have to start over again as well. I just need to track down the ones I have and go find the the ones I don't.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Just finished 2.
Bill Bryson- A Walk in the Woods
David Miller- AWOL on the AT

Just started Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
After reading all 4 of the Twilight Books (trying to stay in tune with my students don't give me grief and they were available during my extended layovers and flights to/from CA) I need an adult book! I was thinking a trip to the bookstore over break would be in order.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Mastering Mountain Bike Skils - Brian Lopes/Lee McCormack

I haven't read too much of it yet, but it has already made me think about how I do stuff.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I read Bram Stokers Dracula recently. I know it was written 110+ years ago. But even taking that into account it sure moved slow. There were some parts that were good though. It's also written all in past tense, it reads from all the characters personal journals after the fact.

And I thought the ending was rather anti-climatic.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just finished "Faith of My Fathers: John McCain" by Mark Salter. He went through some bad sh!t. Got to admire a man who managed to hold it together enough to accomplish what he has after going through what he did.