Quantcast

Books you're reading.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Good call!!! The last one I read was Wizard and Glass and then kind of lost track of the series. I would have to start over again as well. I just need to track down the ones I have and go find the the ones I don't.
I finished the series a few years ago after taking a few year hiatus. I read the first few and then Wizard and Glass wasn't doing it for me so I stopped. Then I spent a summer in the woods in Idaho and got really bored and burned through Wizard and Glass again and then the last few. It was worth the time, but the last two weren't as good. I think I liked the first, third and fifth books the best- from what I remember, anyway.

As far as what I'm reading now...hasn't been much of anything besides class reading, but the good stuff recently would be:

-Jonathan Edwards: A Life.... Geroge Marsden
-Is God a White Racist?.... William R. Jones
-Moral Man and Immoral Society....Reinhold Niebuhr

Next week I have to read Prophesy Deliverance by Cornel West, which I've had on my shelf for the last year so I'm looking forward to it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just started "Man For Himself" by Erich Fromm.

I think I'm just about done with it. I never took a psych class... I seem to lack the foundation he's assuming the reader has.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Just finished "Three Signs of a Miserable Job" by Patrick Lencioni

Great read if you have a job of any sort. :)
It's mainly aimed towards managers but cool for anybody.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just finished "Three Signs of a Miserable Job" by Patrick Lencioni

Great read if you have a job of any sort. :)
It's mainly aimed towards managers but cool for anybody.
Great, another "My job sucks and here's why" book. :D

I haven't been reading much since the move. I don't have 2 hours on the bus to contend with anymore. I will pick up a book tonight.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
cannery row
let the right one in
swag
pulp

.......uh sh*t.....i've started to read one to many books...need to finish them.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Hell's Angels
Farmhouse Ales of France & Belgium
Some Sewing book from the 70's
Back to Basics

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Great, another "My job sucks and here's why" book. :D

I haven't been reading much since the move. I don't have 2 hours on the bus to contend with anymore. I will pick up a book tonight.
It's actually the opposite.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just finished Farenheit 451, and The Gum Thief.

I've still got Catch 22 lying around. The absurdity of that book is exhausting. I can't seem to get through it.

Sara got me Alive for my birthday. I still haven't cracked that one yet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just finished Farenheit 451, and The Gum Thief.

I've still got Catch 22 lying around. The absurdity of that book is exhausting. I can't seem to get through it.

Sara got me Alive for my birthday. I still haven't cracked that one yet.
I've made several attempts to read Catch 22 and can't get through it either, and I've even read Don Quixote.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
PS. I've been listening to "The Zookeeper's Wife" on my ZUNE and I listened to "Hot Flat and Crowded" HFaC was very good!!

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I read the first few and then Wizard and Glass wasn't doing it for me so I stopped.
I'm in the middle of Wizard and Glass right now, not making too much progress. I love the series, I read number 2 and 3 a long time ago, then stopped so I read number 1 and reread the next two, and now I'm in 4. I'm having a busy summer, but maybe Ill just try to finish it in a few days doing nothing but.
I just read Grisham's A Painted House and that was fantastic :)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've made several attempts to read Catch 22 and can't get through it either, and I've even read Don Quixote.
Never read Don Keeyotee. Doesn't sound like a likely contender.

As for Catch 22, it's a shame I can't bash through it because there are some really funny bits.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
My wife has been reading the Twilight series and has gone through all of them 3 times already. Damn vampires.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've started that book twice, and while there are some pretty funny parts, I too have never been able to finish it. Hell, I couldn't even finish the movie.

TheTruth said:
I read catcher in the rye. I hated it, by god I hated it.
I also found that book unbearable. I guess thats why all the conspiracy nuts love that book, because someone would clearly have to be a nutcase or an alien to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
I have read some of them (years ago) and would like to read the whole series again soon too!

I just got
"Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" and plan to read all 3 in the series if it's good.
Cool. They're loosely related(Book IV Wizard in Glass is a homage to the Wizard of Oz)

I'm two books closer to the Dark Tower since my last post. About halfway through Songs for Susannah now. It's slowing down a bit, I think it's because of the way this book is laid out, the Katet is split up and their stories, which are basically occuring at the same time, are not being told at the same time like other books usually handle it. Still good though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cool. They're loosely related(Book IV Wizard in Glass is a homage to the Wizard of Oz)

I'm two books closer to the Dark Tower since my last post. About halfway through Songs for Susannah now. It's slowing down a bit, I think it's because of the way this book is laid out, the Katet is split up and their stories, which are basically occuring at the same time, are not being told at the same time like other books usually handle it. Still good though.

I loved the first few books then had to wait a while for the last bunch. At first I thought the newer books were kind of crappy compared to the older ones. I went back and read the older ones and realized I had become old/jaded enough that those kinds of books don't work for me anymore. It made me sad.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I loved the first few books then had to wait a while for the last bunch. At first I thought the newer books were kind of crappy compared to the older ones. I went back and read the older ones and realized I had become old/jaded enough that those kinds of books don't work for me anymore. It made me sad.
I've decided to read every Stephen King book. I'm about 9 in right now but should probably re-read a few of them.

Currently on Lisey's Story which is unlike anything else I've read of his.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm going to read Babywise... because I have no clue how to take care of my kid when it arrives :)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm going to read Babywise... because I have no clue how to take care of my kid when it arrives :)
The wife and I read babywise before our kid arrived. I am unconvinced it helped. I really think a lot depends on the personality of the kid, and the parents. Just look at the number of "Child raising" books that are out there. The more time that goes by the more I'm convinced that nobody has a clue when it comes to kids.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Currently on Lisey's Story which is unlike anything else I've read of his.
You haven't gotten far enough in. It's like most of his stuff and of course ties into the Dark Tower at times. Kinda like Duma Key, starts off all normal with slight foreshadowing and then zing off into crazyland.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I just finished doyle brunsons "super system." Poker book for those of you who dont play. I really liked it and it totally changed my game. Its not a book for rookies by any means but a very good read if your into power poker.

Anybody have any good non-fiction book recommendation?
Horse Soldiers is really good if you like to read military. It's about the first group of cia/special forces that go into Afghanistan after 9/11.

Reading HST Great Shark Hunt, Double Duty(book about having twins) and Living Off the Country by Bradford Angier originally published in 1956.

Read Bukowski! Vampires are for queers.

Last edited: