jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
yea but those don't make the bike roll forward.
Yeah I agree.
Fucking pointless waste of battery.

until someone comes up with a dropper with a motor to drop the post I'm not interested in the slightest in any electronics being in there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I agree.
Fucking pointless waste of battery.
i know a few people with di2 (mostly road) and they say its super nice - the self adjusting it does is apparently a big point. but the ability to program the shifters to be able to shift front and rear at the same time is nice as well (although this only applies to road anymore). still not something i'd spend my money on (unless i win the lottery or something).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i know a few people with di2 (mostly road) and they say its super nice - the self adjusting it does is apparently a big point. but the ability to program the shifters to be able to shift front and rear at the same time is nice as well (although this only applies to road anymore). still not something i'd spend my money on (unless i win the lottery or something).
I have Di2... on my e-mtb.

It is nice. I should figure out how to adjust it on my own at some point, though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i know a few people with di2 (mostly road) and they say its super nice

As do I.

I don't like it on any bike. I just prefer the feel of a mechanical shift lever and cable. especially on a less than loved bike used in all conditions and a drivetrain often covered in shite. Di2 is great when everything is aligned perfectly, clean, well lubed and nothing is worn. That just isn't the most accurate description of ALL my bikes ALL of the time.
- the self adjusting it does is apparently a big point. but the ability to program the shifters to be able to shift front and rear at the same time is nice as well
Sounds like it might be great for lazy people who probably drive automatic cars and want a lot of the thinking removed from their cycling experience* though ;)

*Zwift ;)

coming soon Zwift 2 - Offroad flowtrail experience.

you heard it here first

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
nah man its just a sign that capitalism is starting to push the industry in directions well outside core cycling disciplines. having to sustain continued growth is gonna lead to "innovations" where in the product is a solution looking for a problem, and that problem is "how do we make sure our profits grow another 3-5% this year?" and that's led us to a point where bike companies are using healthy servings of marketing shtick to try to sell us whack ass mopeds.
You realize that for a long time mountain bikes were outside the "core cycling disciplines" right? And then for a while Downhill was outside the "core cycling disciplines".

The lack of awareness/perspective of some people...LOL

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You realize that for a long time mountain bikes were outside the "core cycling disciplines" right? And then for a while Downhill was outside the "core cycling disciplines".

yea but no one ever questioned whether or not they were mopeds. :clue:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

You realize that two wheeled vehicles that are driven by motors are called motorcycles right? Your comparisons don't mean squat.

The lack of awareness / perspective of some people...LOL

*sniped dang it

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hahahha

How the hell have I not seen that pic posted here before now?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
you're not a gamer then. standard picture used when discussing platform wars
Actually a lifelong gamer from pre 2600 addiction through the UK home computer (spectrum/c64/ST/AMIGA) years and onto Psx/ps2, 3 and now 4.
Just never ever frequented a gaming forum etc.
Like biking. I prefer playing to splaffing about it
Looking at a screen reading about an activity you could be enjoying on a screen just never made sense to me. I only come here at times when for whatever reason I can't physically ride a bike

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Didn't they put out a similar threat years ago, in regards to licensed riders participating at Crankworkx in Whistler?
probably. wasn't a similar threat what killed the DH1 series? i don't think that ever got off the ground b/c of it. or am i thinking of something else

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
How long does it take to become a dentist? I'm 41 now.

I want an E-"motor"cycle with electronic drivetrain, electronic dropper post and a slave to pull me up the hill when the battery dies.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The FIM, the International Motorcycle Federation, has also planted its e-mtb flag by announcing its own ebike series last week that will be run alongside motocross GPs starting at Imola, Italy, in August.
Told y'all they were motorcycles :banana:

What I find funny is that the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme claims e-bikes as their own too. They recognize that they are motor-bikes...
Weird, how when you put a motor on a cycle, it becomes a motorcycle. You'd think someone would have caught on before now lol

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Didn't they put out a similar threat years ago, in regards to licensed riders participating at Crankworkx in Whistler?
probably. wasn't a similar threat what killed the DH1 series? i don't think that ever got off the ground b/c of it. or am i thinking of something else
IIRC, those sanctions were aimed at racers participating in big-money races. Like the Whiskey Off-road Classic and such. Personally, I think it's teh UCI trying to stamp out any competing series. I don't know if it's fully settled yet, but I remember in road cycling where the companies that own the big races (TDF, Giro, Vuelta) and the Spring Classics (Paris-Roubaix, Amstel-Gold, Liège-Bastongne, Milan-San Remo etc...) were openly at war with the UCI over control and revenues (especially revenues!). My guess is the UCI didn't want to be in a similar situation with other disciplines... (I wonder what their relation is with Keirin racing in Japan...)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The Fonz never rode more than 20 feet
The Fonz never exceeded 8mph...

The Fonz was all about pullin' the chicks...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Pulling chicks with an e-bike:

Gary: Hey baby check out my bike

Chick: Cool!! You mountain bike? Mountain bikers are fit and exciting and adventurous. I'm totally getting wet.

Gary: Yeah.... well kinda... but I'm real lazy so my bike has a tiny motor to help me go up hills.

Chick: So it has a motor? Like a motorcycle!! I love guys with motorcycles, they're dangerous and bad ass. Can I ride on it with you?

Gary: Well.... no, it only has a little tiny motor and only works when I wave my feet around on these little pedals.

Chick:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
:fie:

Dafuq Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude?...

Paedophilia is reeeeeeeeeeeally not my thing