Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Heckler (But yeah.. sort of an e-Bronson I suppose)

[EDIT]
Full details on PB
You know what I love about Pinkbike? I can opt out of the e-bike news and never see it. Though why I clicked and read on this thread is a mystery to me.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
^this is surprising? people got to eat. and very few people are making bank selling bicycles.
How much money is being spent to develop the e-bike segment?

Also, supply and demand is a thing. What if they emphasized affordability and built badass bikes that commoners could afford and then the industry put all the monies into access and trail building. Here in Yakima we had a hollow shell of a mtb scene, we didn't have a crop of groms in over a decade. What revitalized the scene? WAS IT E-BIKES??? haha

It was legal trail building and community outreach. The LBS's have been selling mountain bikes like crazy and we have groms in town. We don't need motors, we need trails.

Edit - Yes I know Santa Cruz has the Pay Dirt program, I guess they're laying bets on everything.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
How much money is being spent to develop the e-bike segment
The bio-bike*/acoustic/traditional MTB sales are subsidizing the ebike insertion into the market. I for one call for a boycott on the moar expensive models of the already expensive brands, such as Santa Cruz, Specialized, Pivot and so on.

*@Tantrum Cycles was responsible for bringing that term back from his last Eurobike trip.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why are you posting that jon? Do you even know what an S-Pedalec is?

They’re already legally classed as mopeds, so you have to have a driving licence, the vehicle needs to registered, taxed and insured, and you need to wear the correct safety equipment: ie. a motorbike helmet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why are you posting that jon? Do you even know what an S-Pedalec is?

They’re already legally classed as mopeds, so you have to have a driving licence, the vehicle needs to registered, taxed and insured, and you need to wear the correct safety equipment: ie. a motorbike helmet.
yes but if the technology exists to remotely slow them......... :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
28mph isn't fast in the first place.
Do you also want this technology being used to control the speed of your car remotely?
By advocating this you're ultimately opening up the floodgates to remote/state speed control of all vehicles.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
OMG the UK tabloids have turned up. Your point must be valid now ;)

S-Pedalecs being taxed and insured road vehicles are illegal on shared paths where bicycles are allowed (crowded or otherwise).
and seriously, WTF sort of DH rider genuinely believes 28mph is too fast for singletrack?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
On flat trails Emtb max speeds aren't any quicker either.
so you're worried about people going uphill too fast?
Have you even tried a decent climb on an Emtb?
You won't be doing 28mph. But perhaps half that.

Remind me. What exactly is it you're bumping your gums about again?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
28mph isn't fast in the first place.
Do you also want this technology being used to control the speed of your car remotely?
By advocating this you're ultimately opening up the floodgates to remote/state speed control of all vehicles.
No I wanna Homebrew up my own version and go fuck with the e-ews

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Dude on my gravel bike I comfortably spin out at 16-18 mph. On my buddies 45lb e-bike that same spin out is like 27-29 mph. It doesn't feel like a bicycle, more like a missile. My perception has to move way out in front and my reaction times decrease. I can imagine that the ER doctors are going to confuse motorcycle and ebike victims.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What do you mean "spin out"? spinning out to me means when you can no longer pedal any faster, and is due to gearing and the riders ability to hold a high cadence. most Emtbs stop assisting with anywhere near as much power/torque around a measly 110-140 rpm.
and top speed on the flat and DH is actually way higher on my 18lb roadbike than my 47lb emtb, My max cadence is higher on my roadbike too.
not sure what your point is. Dude.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
and how would that exactly be a problem? are less dead traffic victims something you are concerned with? those speed limits are there for a reason...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Danny Macaskill just released his worst video yet to promote the new Santa Cruz ebike. I didn't even make it through the whole thing. Yeah, he could do some bike stuff on it but the whole time it just looks worse than a normal bike. His lines and stunts were several levels below his normal riding. Perfect example of how these things only make sense for people too out of shape to pedal. They will never be "another toy" for high level riders.