Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Oh to be so cynical that the first thing I wanted to do after I saw Danny's fun new video was to come here and complain that he can't do the same tricks on the Heckler that he can do on his trials bike.

I'm not a big fan of the self-handicapping vids that some people do (like road bike trials in lycra - no thanks) but I thought it was pretty cool that he could do any of that stuff, particularly since he can also do a whole bunch of stuff on the Heckler he'd probably never want to do on his trials bike. Plus, some of the shit he pulls in that vid would impress me on ANY bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wow

Mystic Woo! your powers are STRONG™

I rode a brand new 2020 XL 29er DH bike just this afternoon.

"Tight little man pants" means something entirely different over here where we invented your language.

Eg.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The foil boards work a lot better for electric, smoother ride and longer range, but require more skill.
Where I live we have wind so my foil board is powered by a kite but I can imagine these things would be cool to get the kiteboarding experience in places without wind.
If you ever entered a surf line-up on one you'd be heckled away. As it should be in the surf or bike world.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The foil boards work a lot better for electric, smoother ride and longer range, but require more skill.
Where I live we have wind so my foil board is powered by a kite but I can imagine these things would be cool to get the kiteboarding experience in places without wind.
If you ever entered a surf line-up on one you'd be heckled away. As it should be in the surf or bike world.
That looks like a segway for surfing. Curious how it would do w/ non-flat water.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
laird hamilton rides some of the largest waves in the ocean on a foil board. i think he's the exception tho
I don't mean riding waves. The video showed flat water cruising and long carves. Curious how it would be to cross a bay that's not completely flat... sorta regular choppy water.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't mean riding waves. The video showed flat water cruising and long carves. Curious how it would be to cross a bay that's not completely flat... sorta regular choppy water.
You don't feel chop on a foil, unless it's tall enough to touch the board, then you feel the drag each time the board contacts the water. You can get different height masts to adjust for this.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Hailing from the home of Haibike, I’ve seen some ugly ass E-bikes, but Intense really knocked it out of the park on their first attempt and goes straight to the top:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I thought you guys might like some cannon fodder... at my expense. Haha.
I had fun on this shoot until I broke all the beer bottles in the fender bag jumping curbs.
Fuck it, here you go.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I thought you guys might like some cannon fodder... at my expense. Haha.
I had fun on this shoot until I broke all the beer bottles in the fender bag jumping curbs.
Fuck it, here you go.
You climbed so effortlessly, did they fix the seat angle?

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Good thing we all liked you before that came about. If you have trouble making new friends now, you know the source.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
faster and cheaper than your bike too..
I dont have a bike! So yeah you are right. Just found out I lost $400 on a shock sale via PP so now instead of having $2600 for a bike I am down to $2200. Maybe I should buy and sell blow for a few months.....

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Being that he stay in Scotland, I should've known @Gary was into golf.

Although it appears this model may be afflicted with a miserable fat shaft shock :(

On a serious note, with some proper knobby tires that would be a swell way to get trail tools to a remote work site.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@jackalope Nah... Golf's not my bag I'm afraid
I gave it up at 10
My Grandad was a pretty handy golfer who won lots of local turnaments etc. so made me a set of custom fitted clubs and took it upon himself to "coach" me in the evenings after school. Eventually after one critique of my "grip" too many I threw a massive tantrum, told him I "fucking hate golf", launched my club into the rough, walked home and back out on my bike.
We didn't speak for weeks, despite me having dinner every night with him and my Grandmother.

The Golf courses I grew up around had a few downhill fairways that were awesome for sledging down in the snow. Some pretty nice bunker gaps to hit on a bike and In my teenage years some of the bunkers were pretty good shelter for shagging in.
To this day those are the only positives I see in Golf.

That Trump dude owns a few courses over here, nuff said, eh?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Vinny should be ashamed of himself! He earned none of those turns! Outraged!
Funny that most videos promoting e-bikes show action like this, but the folks that actually ride them are overweight dads that "want to get in shape again" who get fully rowdy by dropping off the next curb.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What are you trying to say?
I am not sure if this marketing strategy makes sense, Haibike sponsoring Pilgrim, rad riders getting shreddy on e-bikes and such. It fuels the hate with environmentalist groups and the real mountain bikers, so you are not gaining there. Not sure how many folks rush out and buy eMTBs after they have seen these adds (or get the OK from their wifes to buy one because this is waaaayyy too dangerous). In contrast to racy cars there is still a certain level of skill needed to ride them quickly, which the folks I have seen riding most often do not possess.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It fuels the hate with environmentalist groups and the real mountain bikers
Seriously?
What exactly makes you see yourself as a "real" mountian biker?

In contrast to racy cars there is still a certain level of skill needed to ride them quickly, which the folks I have seen riding most often do not possess.
WTAF are you even talking about?
I've no idea how good a rider you deem yourself to be but there are plenty less than super skilled riders with high end Enduro and DH bikes and I don't see you having an issue with that.

You need to take your head out of your own arse.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No need to get offended and insulting!

Seriously?
What exactly makes you see yourself as a "real" mountian biker?
I never said that I see myself as a real mountain biker. I ride bicycles in all kinds of forms.
My comment is based on how much hate of e-bikes you see in MTB forums and getting called "bio biker" or "acoustic biker" from e-bike riders doesn't help the cause.

WTAF are you even talking about?
I've no idea how good a rider you deem yourself to be but there are plenty less than super skilled riders with high end Enduro and DH bikes and I don't see you having an issue with that.
Me? I need all the help I can get from my bikes. ;)
From what I see here the majority of riders on higher end, gravity-oriented bikes has decent skills. Could be a local phenomenon though as most beginners would first get in touch with XC bikes. Most people I know have progressed in skills and equipment over time, which doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of the e-MTB crowd I see here. In contrast to you, they often do not seem to have a background in riding bikes, lacking not only the skills to handle a heavy and powerful e-bike but also the trail etiquette.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I agree that there’s an association with newbies, bad trail etiquette, and e-bikes. But that’s a problem with them being noobs, not with the advertising, imo.

/me and my usual e-bike riding buddy are not noobs, and we are very polite to other trail users

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No need to get offended and insulting!
I'm not offended in the slightest... and trust me, nothing I said was an insult. Just friendly straight to the point advice

I never said that I see myself as a real mountain biker. I ride bicycles in all kinds of forms.
My comment is based on how much hate of e-bikes you see in MTB forums and getting called "bio biker" or "acoustic biker" from e-bike riders doesn't help the cause.

Me? I need all the help I can get from my bikes. ;)
From what I see here the majority of riders on higher end, gravity-oriented bikes has decent skills. Could be a local phenomenon though as most beginners would first get in touch with XC bikes. Most people I know have progressed in skills and equipment over time, which doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of the e-MTB crowd I see here. In contrast to you, they often do not seem to have a background in riding bikes, lacking not only the skills to handle a heavy and powerful e-bike but also the trail etiquette.
So... Why do you even care?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^^That is pretty awesome but when I ride an e-bike I've got both balloons over my head. :headbang:

It also looks like a dude out for a ride with his dad. I've got no problem with that.

iRider, most of us who have been around for a while have "progressed in skills and equipment over time" because we started riding back when our equipment and skills were not up to the task. People getting into the sport now have the luxury of jumping on bikes that are far more capable, and there is a ton of educational info out there to help learn how to do things that took a lot of us years to figure out on our own. I think that's pretty rad, but I'm not one of those people who thinks everyone should learn on a hardtail before moving up. If the tech is available, I say use it and have fun. That said, everyone needs to learn etiquette regardless of their power source.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
In my experience, I have never seen an "over weight dad trying to get in shape again" on an ebike, in my area. Unless you're talking about me. HA!

The dudes I've seen on ebikes are normal bros, usually older (like me) and just want to have fun again. Uphill berms? Heck yes!

"Make the uphills fun again!"

i love the common misconception that it's all newbs on ebikes out on the trails. lets not kid ourselves, those goons are still on the sidewalks and shit. people that don't ride trails regularly aren't just showing up out of nowhere, it's almost all of us regulars just on a different bike. like many others, i've never seen an ebike newb on any trails i've ridden..