Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So true. Way back in the day, like 3 months ago, the commute arteries in SF were getting clogged with clueless clowns on e-bikes. Those folks are not hitting the trails we want to ride.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i love the common misconception that it's all newbs on ebikes out on the trails. lets not kid ourselves, those goons are still on the sidewalks and shit. people that don't ride trails regularly aren't just showing up out of nowhere, it's almost all of us regulars just on a different bike. like many others, i've never seen an ebike newb on any trails i've ridden..
My experience is different. I mostly ride in state parks wedged into densely populated urban areas of Greater Boston. All the e-bikes I've see are either 1) noobs with obvious bike handling challenges, poor trail etiquette, sometime without helmets, or 2) testosterone bros - dudes in the 40s who brag how they get moar 5-miles laps on these busy multi-use trails, also with poor trail etiquette. :crazy: Also prolific parking lot poseurs.

There's still hope for the 1st group, the 2nd group was always there but now have better chances of fucking it up for everyone.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
People getting into the sport now have the luxury of jumping on bikes that are far more capable, and there is a ton of educational info out there to help learn how to do things that took a lot of us years to figure out on our own. I think that's pretty rad, but I'm not one of those people who thinks everyone should learn on a hardtail before moving up. If the tech is available, I say use it and have fun. That said, everyone needs to learn etiquette regardless of their power source.
I think so too, much better access to the sport right now, which is great. :thumb:
My only concern is that beginners now also have to master the skill of controlling the power from the engine. I have a couple of times witnessed that folks were already overloaded with mastering the trail, braking and such and then got surprised by the boost of the engine. Same what you see when you would ride a motorcycle for the first time, more passenger than in control.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
i love the common misconception that it's all newbs on ebikes out on the trails. lets not kid ourselves, those goons are still on the sidewalks and shit. people that don't ride trails regularly aren't just showing up out of nowhere, it's almost all of us regulars just on a different bike. like many others, i've never seen an ebike newb on any trails i've ridden..
We unfortunately do not have super challenging trails here, so that might be the reason.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
newbs on ebikes and riding in the skatepark? somehow i very highly doubt that. it's like next you gonna say there are newbs on ebikes riding the rampage course...
Witnessed it on a pump track: saddle in low position, sitting all the time, pedaling and hitting the cranks on nearly every roller. :rofl:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think so too, much better access to the sport right now, which is great. :thumb:
My only concern is that beginners now also have to master the skill of controlling the power from the engine. I have a couple of times witnessed that folks were already overloaded with mastering the trail, braking and such and then got surprised by the boost of the engine. Same what you see when you would ride a motorcycle for the first time, more passenger than in control.
Yeah, you're right about that. I, and others like me with years of riding experience, have been surprised at the boost at times, particularly when climbing tech stuff. I figured out the technique pretty quick but for sure it's one more thing for all new e-bikers to learn.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seriously bro

you are "concerned" for others controlling a 250w gradual assist curve that tapers off as soon as you stop pedalling? it takes about 3 pedal strokes for a regular rider to learn how to control it and maybe 5 minutes for a complete noob. In no way is it even vaguely comparable to a 50cc motorcycle, foot brake, clutch and throtle

you sound like a heap of fun at parties

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
you are "concerned" for others controlling a 250w gradual assist curve that tapers off as soon as you stop pedalling? it takes about 3 pedal strokes for a regular rider to learn how to control it and maybe 5 minutes for a complete noob. In no way is it even vaguely comparable to a 50cc motorcycle, foot brake, clutch and throtle
I am not concerned for them. If they kill themselves while riding even better, less e-bike users. ;)
Problem is: too many accidents, official trails will get even more dumbed down because they are "too dangerous" and if it happens on non-official trails they get plowed. Great to have e-bikes, isn't it? Exactly what the "haters" predicted is now happening, especially in the area where I grew up.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So... do I have this correct?
Your "problem" here is that your unchallenging trails are going to be made even less challenging because of "accidents" that so far you've given absolutely no evidence of happening at all. But have somehow predicted are suddenly going to increase because of noobs riding bikes with a 250w assistance?

Sorry but you're coming across as a complete fanny*.

*Scottish to US translation = idiot/drama queen

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So... do I have this correct?
Your "problem" here is that your unchallenging trails are going to be made even less challenging because of "accidents" that so far you've given absolutely no evidence of happening at all. But have somehow predicted are suddenly going to increase because of noobs riding bikes with a 250w assistance?

Sorry but you're coming across as a complete fanny*.

*Scottish to US translation = idiot/drama queen
If you run out of arguments you start insulting people, stereotypical.
There is enough evidence, even the authorities explicitly cited the higher use of trails by e-bikes, causing more conflicts and accidents, for shutting down multiple unofficial trails. But keep on burying your head in the sand.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
"Ya fanny" is more a National term of endearment towards someone being, well a bit of a fanny really... but there's always the chance some fanny will take it seriously and be all fucking offended by it.
I don't think you'd cope over here at all. Here's an ad for our biggest selling soft drink

even the authorities explicitly cited the higher use of trails by e-bikes, causing more conflicts and accidents
So...
MOAR riding = MOAR accidents?

UR AUFORATIES IS GENIUS

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don't like being lapped by e-bikers any more than anyone else, but seriously who cares what others are riding.

I will say though - I've noticed a whole lot more inexperienced riders a long, long way out from the trailhead now. I always check that they know where they are and aren't in any trouble, but I really hope the shops selling electric assist to first time MTBers start selling emergency beacons with them as well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A LONG way?
Really?
I just don't get how that's even possible.. Battery range on an Emtb is a LOT less than my legs on a normal bike. And most Emtb riders have a far far shorter idea of what a long ride actually is. Especially the inexperienced of them

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
A LONG way?
Really?
I just don't get how that's even possible.. Battery range on an Emtb is a LOT less than my legs on a normal bike. And most Emtb riders have a far far shorter idea of what a long ride actually is. Especially the inexperienced of them
Long enough that you wouldn't wanna walk it in Australia. This isn't Scotland where only a crazy sheep might try to molest you.

My point is that novice riders are going further from the trailhead than normal. Not comparing how far an e-bike can travel compared to 800 year old Haggis fuelled Gary legs.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've been advocating for emergency beacons on all ebikes since day one. The whole "selling point" is if your old and not in shape get an ebike! So its a magic trifecta of risk. Old, inexperienced, out of shape folks heading out from paved roads with 40lb e-moto bikes. Mandatory emergency beacons.

Maybe they could make some little gas engines that only serve for back up in case the e system takes a crap. I bet the top tube would make a great gas tank.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A LONG way?
Really?
Gary, I agree with a lot of what you're saying about e-bikes but you're pushing it here. Sure, experienced and relatively fit riders can go farther on a regular bike - unless they're carrying an extra battery or extender pack. But the point was not about experienced riders, it was about noobs getting further out than before, which is true. And saying "most" don't know what a real ride is plays into the argument that e-bikes are only for noobs and lazy people, an argument you seem to oppose.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
And saying "most" don't know what a real ride is plays into the argument that e-bikes are only for noobs and lazy people, an argument you seem to oppose.
I don't actually oppose anyone's argument that Ebikes are good for lazy, unfit and noob riders at all.
Fact is there are a LOT of Emtb riders that fit into those categories and I don't actually care as I have nothing against noobs, unfit or lazy riders all. Why would I?
I only oppose the views of foolish snobs that seem to think Emtb isn't good for experienced, skillful, fit riders.
Fact is... they become even better when ridden by a decent rider.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Long enough that you wouldn't wanna walk it in Australia. This isn't Scotland where only a crazy sheep might try to molest you.

My point is that novice riders are going further from the trailhead than normal. Not comparing how far an e-bike can travel compared to 800 year old Haggis fuelled Gary legs.
Yeah. I dunno much about Aussie trail networks at all. (odd that, eh?)
but over here the vast majority of the most popular trail networks never actually take you any further than about 3 miles from the nearest access road (vehicle access).
it's only really when you do proper BIG natural rides in the munros and remote areas that you ever get a decent distance from a road and that's just not really where noobs go Emtb or mtb

I did think you guys were a little tougher than you make out tho ;)

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The problem is they're motos and we don't need them on non-moto singletrack. If they indeed are geared towards the noobs and the un-fit having them for green dot and OHV trails makes sense because peeps can be extracted more cheaply. Moto trails yes, non-moto singletrack no.

We just had the first heli-vac at our local trails. The guy was barely a mile from the trailhead but he was a covid noob on a 40 yr old mtb and he sustained neck injuries. We are going to be seeing more of this stuff.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don't actually oppose anyone's argument that Ebikes are good for lazy, unfit and noob riders at all.
Fact is there are a LOT of Emtb riders that fit into those categories
Yeah both those guys...

Yeah. I dunno much about Aussie trail networks at all. (odd that, eh?)
but over here the vast majority of the most popular trail networks never actually take you any further than about 3 miles from the nearest access road (vehicle access).
Ah I've never ridden Scooootland but plenty of our loops/trails take people further from the trailhead or carpark than you'd want to walk. And generally over here, the gnarlier stuff tends to be at the back of the loops or awhile away. It gets more preserved that way or whatever. But yeah, the assist gets the novice riders a lot further out than before. I'm seeing hopelessly lost and confused people on some decently technical shit now.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah I've never ridden Scooootland but plenty of our loops/trails take people further from the trailhead or carpark than you'd want to walk. And generally over here, the gnarlier stuff tends to be at the back of the loops or awhile away. It gets more preserved that way or whatever. But yeah, the assist gets the novice riders a lot further out than before. I'm seeing hopelessly lost and confused people on some decently technical shit now.
We're a pretty small country with shit loads of roads ,access roads and paths.
and very few vehicular access issues.
Most of the gnarlier stuff is handbuild, so has to be fairly easily accessible.
Although it's not encouraged, Most forest roads are driveable too. But they're certainly 100% accessible for emergency services and forest work

Even complete novices know pretty much imediately when they've ventured onto a technical handbuilt trail above their comfort zone here. and mostly it'll just result in an unhappy walk back down if they don't posess the skill to ride down.
This isn't an Ebike thing though. it's exactly the same for novices/less experienced/skilled riders on normal bikes

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
This isn't an Ebike thing though. it's exactly the same for novices/less experienced/skilled riders on normal bikes
I really wish I'd ridden more over in Scootland. Some of the vids I've seen the trails look rad.

I think e-bikes just increased the range of the novices is all, meaning they get further away from assistance if required. Hardly the end of the world if they have any brains, but still.

A few of the trail associations around here and in BC have gotten e-bikes now and kitted them out for builders and maintenance crews. Super handy way to get out backcountry quickly carrying a bunch of tools and shit. I think Kona used to do a Builder bike with a chainsaw rack and shit as well

I really wish I'd ridden more over in Scootland. Some of the vids I've seen the trails look rad.

I think e-bikes just increased the range of the novices is all, meaning they get further away from assistance if required. Hardly the end of the world if they have any brains, but still.

A few of the trail associations around here and in BC have gotten e-bikes now and kitted them out for builders and maintenance crews. Super handy way to get out backcountry quickly carrying a bunch of tools and shit. I think Kona used to do a Builder bike with a chainsaw rack and shit as well
My Surly Moonlander with a Bob trailer do quite nicely for that, no motor required. I'm still for setting fire to ebikes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF Ebike haters are just clutching at straws looking for drama to be offended by... even though there really isn't any/ The more accepted Emtb is becoming, the more foolish these insecure twats look.

WTF cares that a noob can ride 8 fucking miles out and 8 fucking miles back (coz that's about the current range in any genuinely hilly area)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've ridden a few.

Our definitions of awesome are different... but it does what it does. and if riding it makes you happy that's all that matters.

At least it has 26" wheels ;)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Seeing Toshi's ride from yesterday on the strava made me think of this.

@Gary may be the only other person on here who's heard it before :D