Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why the fuck would I get insurance to ride my bike in 'merca?

better... er... STFU?
before you come across as even more of a tool :brows:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, they are like bicycles but different because they have a motor. That makes them motor vehicles. Can I see your proof of insurance?

Better get insured before they make it a requirement for purchase!
Alaska Department of Fish and Game - Official

AugtguaoraSpstctanSo lonns1oro4n, 20ee1dS9 ·
Do electric bikes have a motor? Yes they do! Whether designed with a throttle-control or pedal-assist, “Ebikes” are considered illegal in non-motorized areas. Please be aware of this when planning a hunt in an area managed for non-motorized use such as a controlled use area.
For a listing of controlled use areas:
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I bet it has a throttle and he wheelied it over. Classic whiskey throttle. The front end is so light on my Sur-ron and the torque is so strong below 15mph that I strongly caution people about just that when they try it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
why the pedals though?
Because it is just a bicycle with a little support for people with disabilities or the elderly so that they can enjoy the spirit of enduro as well. It is also great for people to get in shape and then upgrade to a pedal-only bike, therefore increasing the popularity of cycling. ;) :D
I guess you didn't get the memo? :dance:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
The Sur-ron is mid drive too right, like a real dirtbike? Making something 80mph capable but with a hub motor seems like a terrible idea for handling, weight distribution and destroying expensive hub motors.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The Sur-ron is mid drive too right, like a real dirtbike? Making something 80mph capable but with a hub motor seems like a terrible idea for handling, weight distribution and destroying expensive hub motors.
Yes, hub motor designs suck off-road for many of those reasons. They don’t have the gearing to ride in the mountains well. Also, they have shitty bolt on axles which break and destroy dropouts. The Sur Ron, Revx and LMX Look like the way foreword for a light dirt bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Fuckin Booooooooooooooo

BAN THESE TERRIBLE HANDLING, TRAIL DESTROYING MOTORISED MONSTROSITIES NAO!!!!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, my buddy Pete was riding DH at Tamarack a few weeks ago. Some fuckstick was riding his ebike UP the DH trail, and hit Pete, breaking his finger, and now he needs surgery. (NO EBIKES ALLOWED) Dude gave hIm $200, but now refuses to pay for the surgery. Pete has hired a personal injury lawyer.
Sean Mcclendon is the shithead.
supposedly a ‘pro’ ebiker or some shit.
He works at Deity.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
So, my buddy Pete was riding DH at Tamarack a few weeks ago. Some fuckstick was riding his ebike UP the DH trail, and hit Pete, breaking his finger, and now he needs surgery. (NO EBIKES ALLOWED) Dude gave hIm $200, but now refuses to pay for the surgery. Pete has hired a personal injury lawyer.
He works at Deity.
Vital did a podcast with him a while back:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As someone who rides (or did) DH, he should know better. :disgust1:

Don't care if you're on an e-bike, hover board, regular bike or a unicorn, no one should be going up a down trail (or the other way around).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He works at Deity.
is tamarack a resort?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The thing is that Pete is one of the most chill dudes on the planet, and was originally willing to just let it go if his finger healed.
But it didn’t, so I am pissed for him.
this is one of those situations where surgery costs can add up really quick., especially if his insurance won't cover it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So now we see if those riders that say (or do): "I'll just do the wrong thing and accept the consequences" will actually accept the consequences...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
google'd it - yes it is.

checked their rules, the bike park trails are stipulated as downhill directional only. @rideit tell your buddy and his lawyer that they need to get the resort involved.
He can probably save some legal $ by doing some of the legwork himself. Of course, if successful, they may require the losing side to pay legal fees anyway, but I'd usually do as much as I can. That means get copies of that info, from the website, in writing at the resort, speak to the manager and confirm the rules, get a statement, make statements of your interaction, etc. It's basic detective shit, but it's what the lawyers pay their minions to do and what they use for evidence in court. Any average joe can do this part.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
He can probably save some legal $ by doing some of the legwork himself. Of course, if successful, they may require the losing side to pay legal fees anyway, but I'd usually do as much as I can. That means get copies of that info, from the website, in writing at the resort, speak to the manager and confirm the rules, get a statement, make statements of your interaction, etc. It's basic detective shit, but it's what the lawyers pay their minions to do and what they use for evidence in court. Any average joe can do this part.
Could they spin it around and pin that on the resort? Things like lack of signage, insufficient information etc (whether valid or not).

Looks like they have XC trails which require no fee or pass....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Could they spin it around and pin that on the resort? Things like lack of signage, insufficient information etc (whether valid or not).

i'd say its a safe bet that this was a downhill only trail within the bikepark. given that griz works in the industry (deity & vital) he can't claim ignorance or lack of signage was a cause. if he's a passholder there, that would even further undermine that argument, as passholders acknowledge that they will follow resort rules when they sign up for a pass.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Depends, it's likely the user's responsibility to read and know the system before riding on it and they probably have that stuff written into their policy, etc. When you are going to try and pin it on a land owner or entity, you have to show negligence on their part and to show that, you have to basically show that what they did/how they acted was not what a reasonable person or entity would do. I'd say it's unlikely unless there is some significant negligence on their part. No doubt, that would come up in court, that's why you show all those other documents and evidence of what the rules are. Then it comes down to the old "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" bit.