Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
LDS are sneaky, they give free English lessons in Japan before the indoctrination begins.

Growing up in that cult (in WY and SD) thinking that was 'church' until I was 12 skewed my understanding of religion in general, luckily I have always been a stubborn prick and it was suggested I don't need to attend any longer.

The Mormons numbers on creating atheists must be close to their conversion of 'heathens' rate.

there are a few more Mormons there than i thought!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
meanwhile, in canada:

View attachment 153055

god damn. why do all these e-wet dreams have to be soooo hideous? if you're going to market something "exotic" to the plebs, can't you at least endeavor to make it tasteful?

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Yeah, thats my strava. Name as well is a bit of a joke as Yamada Tarou is like John Smith eg this is how you fill in the form.

Air force brat that was pissed we never got stationed overseas, so wanderlust imbued.

Jumped at a chance to be an exchange student in Imaichi (now Nikko due to city, town, village consolidation).

Tried attending Sophia University in Tokyo, but being a bicycle messenger was more fun. Moved to Seattle did some medical interpreting, and fell into working with the JGSDF and US Army for firing table testing of the type 99 155mm self propelled howitzer.

Kids were born, freelance interpreting in Tochigi and Ice Farming for four years until the earthquake, tsunami, fukushima disaster created the impetus to finish my degree in South Dakota.

Finished that and just trying to save money and find a path back to Japan.. Sure would be nice to see my kids, maintain sanity playing in the mountains is all I can do for now.

How did you go from that to having all this Japanese stuff in your life? (you're the one with the Japanese-mode Strava screenshots, no?)

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yeah, thats my strava. Name as well is a bit of a joke as Yamada Tarou is like John Smith eg this is how you fill in the form.

Air force brat that was pissed we never got stationed overseas, so wanderlust imbued.

Jumped at a chance to be an exchange student in Imaichi (now Nikko due to city, town, village consolidation).

Tried attending Sophia University in Tokyo, but being a bicycle messenger was more fun. Moved to Seattle did some medical interpreting, and fell into working with the JGSDF and US Army for firing table testing of the type 99 155mm self propelled howitzer.

Kids were born, freelance interpreting in Tochigi and Ice Farming for four years until the earthquake, tsunami, fukushima disaster created the impetus to finish my degree in South Dakota.

Finished that and just trying to save money and find a path back to Japan.. Sure would be nice to see my kids, maintain sanity playing in the mountains is all I can do for now.
Where do you live right now?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

your trails are gonna get fucked
Why the fuck can't it just be for bicycles in general? Fuggin e-bikes. Can't imagine the mental hurdles people will pull to get excited about commuting on an e-bike while simultaneously thinking they could never do the same commute on a regular bicycle.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why the fuck can't it just be for bicycles in general? Fuggin e-bikes. Can't imagine the mental hurdles people will pull to get excited about commuting on an e-bike while simultaneously thinking they could never do the same commute on a regular bicycle.
B coz Murca?

TBF though I'm loving my 10mile commute through the snow just now because of my Eeb. It's definitely not doable on my roadbike but yeah I could probably do it (albeit a lot slower) on a Fatbike.
But Fatbikes

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 5.17.39 AM.png

This would have made way more sense to give credit on. Just an FYI just because there is a 4" wide stripe of yellow paint on the ground doesn't mean you are "SAFE" while "commuting" to work on your 40 LBS EBike that maxes out at 25MPH......

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
View attachment 156387

This would have made way more sense to give credit on. Just an FYI just because there is a 4" wide stripe of yellow paint on the ground doesn't mean you are "SAFE" while "commuting" to work on your 40 LBS EBike that maxes out at 25MPH......
i‘d rather get the sondors bike for commuting

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been able to ride one of those Alta's a few times. Super rad piece of technology right there, very well sorted. Too bad they shut down, had high hopes for those bikes. Seems they took a gamble with HD that did not work out.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just an FYI just because there is a 4" wide stripe of yellow paint on the ground doesn't mean you are "SAFE" while "commuting" to work on your 40 LBS EBike that maxes out at 25MPH......
WTAF are you talking about?
Commuting by bicycle has never been entirely "SAFE" but when it's been a viable option I've always found it a hell of a lot better than any other alternative mode of transport... I do actually quite like riding bicycles though.

Don't the fun looking off road motorcycle you posted a picture of and the ugly AF commuters dream Ebike Sethimus linked to both require registration, insurance, tax and a driving license to be ridden in public places and on roads in the US? They certainly do here. Kinda defeating the point if looking for a cheap and healthy alternative to your car or public transport. Especially for a commuter who already has those things and owns a motorised roadgoing a vehicle of some sort to commute in. I think part of the idea is that a cheap Ebike might just get some of them to leave it at home sometimes.

Ps. I've no idea what a yellow stripe on the ground where you're from even signifies. Here it means limited parking. Which actually does make cycling on our roads a tiny bit safer.

and I've no idea where you get the idea an Ebike is limited to 25mph. Pedal assistance has a legal upper speed limit but top speed doesn't.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like the looks of the Yamaha Civante...again for commuting to work. Not sure I want another ebike though. My new commute is somewhat shorter than the old one, but I don't want to ride the fancy bike to work and the kid hauler is surprisingly shitty over 24 miles.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nevermind e-bikes for commuting, around here the e-scooters are getting more popular. Those things are terrifyingly sketchy (but bloody good fun for a pub crawl). Although they're legally supposed to be restricted speed wise, there's videos of people modding them to do 100kps/60mph! If you've ever ridden one, they feel scary at a quarter of that speed so full credit to anyone dumb enough to max one out.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

How far do you commute to work? What do you bring with you? Have kids to drive around? Yeah, the GO PED scooter cough EBIKE is cool but if you can ride it on an EBike you can ride it on the pedals. I have ridden into work a number of times its 25 miles about an 1800 foot climb. Do have to ride on Freeway for about 4 miles wich sort of sucks. I would rather ride in the car lane from a safety aspect than in a Bike lane. I commuted for 3 years 5 days a week on a bike. That paint isn't stopping a 5000LBS care from squashing you like a bug is the point......

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How far do you commute to work? What do you bring with you? Have kids to drive around? Yeah, the GO PED scooter cough EBIKE is cool but if you can ride it on an EBike you can ride it on the pedals. I have ridden into work a number of times its 25 miles about an 1800 foot climb. Do have to ride on Freeway for about 4 miles wich sort of sucks. I would rather ride in the car lane from a safety aspect than in a Bike lane. I commuted for 3 years 5 days a week on a bike. That paint isn't stopping a 5000LBS care from squashing you like a bug is the point......
Between 20 and 40 miles per day
I live 20 miles from work but my GF who's house I stay at a few days per week lives 10 miles from work.
From mine I can either ride the first 14 miles off road or all on road (in winter because of shite mud or snow I tend to stick more to road.
EVERY DAY. ALL YEAR ROUND - not "a number of times"
I avoid bike lanes too. Here they are extremely badly designed. The roads are a mix of A road (with a few stretches of 60mph limit dual and single carriage way I guess you would call these highway, B roads and busy city centre streets. The off-road varies from farmland (field edges and paths), old disused railway line, woodland and bridleways. There's a couple of slight detours I can take on the way home in summer (longer light) and get a few runs in on handbuild unofficial enduro/DH tracks or a play about at a local jump spot if I fancy it.
I don't actually know the elevation exactly. it's only about 600ft climbing per 10 miles with a few hills on the way in as work is at pretty much sea level and we both live outside the City closer to the hills. so the ride back home is probably closer to 1000ft per 10 miles (I could check if you're really bothered).

I only carry spares (tubes, tools/pump etc), keys, card, cash and my phone as I hate wearing a backpack on any bike ride so will only wear one if there's something I absolutely need to transport between the two. In winter I have a few changes of clothes at work. in summer if riding the Eeb I'll often ride in wearing work clothes with waterproofs stashed in a fanny pack (Oh.. the shame :( )
I don't always ride the Eeb. but just now with the snow I am. I've done the same commutes on my roadbike and a 4X hardtail with a looong seatpost and offroad on my Capra.
I have plenty kids. I'm a single parent (all from different mothers). All but one of my kids is now over 18. (they obviously weren't always). I have a 7 seater car (oh fuck... moar shame ;) ) so I can accomodate them all (and friends) when needed.
What's the relevance of all your questions? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and we're just bonding over cool cycling stories here?

Obviously I know I CAN ride it on "pedals" FFS. I've got 10 bikes, only one has a motor and I'm well aware of the differences between them all. which brings me to my question:
Have you ever actually tried riding a class 1 mid drive E bike? They don't have throttles. You can put in as much/little effort as you want or use as much/little assistance as you want? Either way it's faster than a normal bike. It's not like commuting is some sort of competition over who burned the most calories or held the highest wattage? (ok maybe it might be for some, but certainly not me) The biggest revalation/advantage the Ebike has is being able to get work less sweaty. And I guess that could be a pretty big reason for most non cyclists to use one.
On the whole I enjoy my commute. Occasionally a driver is a dick but I've been doing this so long I can usually pre-empt a lot of that.

I still have absolutely no idea what "paint" you keep going on about..

It's a real shame you feel so unsafe. riding a bike in or out generally sorts my head out.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nevermind e-bikes for commuting, around here the e-scooters are getting more popular. Those things are terrifyingly sketchy (but bloody good fun for a pub crawl). Although they're legally supposed to be restricted speed wise, there's videos of people modding them to do 100kps/60mph! If you've ever ridden one, they feel scary at a quarter of that speed so full credit to anyone dumb enough to max one out.
Tons of Neds and Schemies* here seem to have those. Yeah. some are definitely derestricted

*groups of 12 to 16yr old dodgy looking boys generally from poorer families

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have forgotten the brand name but there were two stroke ones that people would spend a small fortune on to hit speeds close to that. They looked hilarious with the big expansion chamber on the exhaust, there was a place near me that sold kites, fire crackers and scooters, 'twas a strange shop.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I have forgotten the brand name but there were two stroke ones that people would spend a small fortune on to hit speeds close to that. They looked hilarious with the big expansion chamber on the exhaust, there was a place near me that sold kites, fire crackers and scooters, 'twas a strange shop.
Go ped? 2 wheels death traps!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
@Gary damn that's pretty far daily. I would need something like this. Wonder if a license would be needed if it hits 60MPH.....cops may be pissed with you going 45mph in Bike lane.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, my friends that I am riding with in Peru next month are (old) hammerheads, my kiddo couldn’t keep up. We are borrowing an ebike so we can all ride together. I hope he will ever ride a regular bike again...(but we are borrowing a proper enduro bike for the big downhills outside of Cuzco)...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Commuting by bicycle has never been entirely "SAFE" but when it's been a viable option I've always found it a hell of a lot better than any other alternative mode of transport... I do actually quite like riding bicycles though.

Don't the fun looking off road motorcycle you posted a picture of and the ugly AF commuters dream Ebike Sethimus linked to both require registration, insurance, tax and a driving license to be ridden in public places and on roads in the US? They certainly do here. Kinda defeating the point if looking for a cheap and healthy alternative to your car or public transport. Especially for a commuter who already has those things and owns a motorised roadgoing a vehicle of some sort to commute in. I think part of the idea is that a cheap Ebike might just get some of them to leave it at home sometimes.

Ps. I've no idea what a yellow stripe on the ground where you're from even signifies. Here it means limited parking. Which actually does make cycling on our roads a tiny bit safer.

and I've no idea where you get the idea an Ebike is limited to 25mph. Pedal assistance has a legal upper speed limit but top speed doesn't.
Have you ever been on an American road?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Riding on a 60mph road.....FUCK THAT.

Getting passed by a dump truck at that speed once, is one time too many.

Or Canadian one. Same shit different pile.
seriously. in america there's 2 ways to get away with murder.... become a cop or hit a cyclist with your car.

i got hit twice in college (and thankfully walked away uninjured both times) and that was enough for me to give up road riding (on actual roads that is, i still use my road/cx bike on local rail trails which are closed to auto traffic).