Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF Every Emtb is a normal Bike when the battery is removed.
But Transition have achieved an excellent weight both with and without the motor.
Mates of mines Gigas are the same (non confirmed) weight as this is bike.
The fazua will put it in the hard to keep up with a Bosch motor category tho if you already have mates with Emtbs.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was holding out for a light e-bike like this. Then I decided if I was going to go for it I might as well go all the way - full range/full power. I'm happy with my choice, even though it weighs about as much as my first DH bike the weight is way less noticeable when I'm on it, and it's very maneuverable.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I was holding out for a light e-bike like this. Then I decided if I was going to go for it I might as well go all the way - full range/full power. I'm happy with my choice, even though it weighs about as much as my first DH bike the weight is way less noticeable when I'm on it, and it's very maneuverable.
Ditto. And also a deciding factor was the reasoning a guy I ride with said, where the SL bikes have to work super hard and still slow down full power ones when riding together, but full power ones from various brands will otherwise be in the same ballpark. I've done rides with guys on the EP8 RS Orbeas, and those guys had range extenders and ran in boost while we were running in Trail, and they tapped out early. The Transition should be better than the older SL bikes, which were like 1/3 the power of a full power, but I feel like then you're just getting to the point where you could ride one of those in Turbo while a full power runs in Trail, for similar pace but much worse range.

Also, yuck to using a 36 on a 43lb ebike lol. If they were wanting to save the grams, they should done a RS build for those with a Lyrik.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No problem unless you're weak AF.
If you're struggling with strength. Maybe you NEED an Ebike

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I hope whatever trail that was/is, that it is worth the "hike". Usually around these parts we just push, not carry. Never been a big carry kind of guy. I do know of a certain trail with a certain section where carry is mandatory. But that is rare.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I hope whatever trail that was/is, that it is worth the "hike". Usually around these parts we just push, not carry. Never been a big carry kind of guy. I do know of a certain trail with a certain section where carry is mandatory. But that is rare.
Is the weight on your back worth it to not constantly get a pedal to the shin?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's not just about striking the pedals with your shins, it's about the balance. We hooked our bikes to our backpacks with a homemade version of that thing when we did some of our multi-day alpine trips. There are no bike paths on the way up, just hiking paths (not trails) at best. Being able to walk without pushing the bike and at a much faster pace is unbeatable.

Previously we grabbed the bike by the left pedal and carried it on our shoulders, like this:

The bike hook is a hundred times more comfortable, and it also frees both of your hands.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, that can be a thing. Totally understand. But when you do it a lot. It's not a big deal. You learn to lean the bike out of the way of lower limbs ... or else you do get a pedal to the shin. :)

I'm all for new gadgets. I wouldn't mind trying the hook/carry solution. It's just that I don't do many trails that require it. Most of Colorado trails just aren't that steep. If they are, it's only for a short section. But they do exist.

As Follow Cam Friday Nate Hills says "If you ain't hiking, you ain't biking!"

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
First week on an ebike and I have to eat crow. Shit is fun as fuck. Had a limited window to ride today between wrapping up work and wife/kids getting home (my main use case for one; that and be able to do dh laps on "recovery days" from the meat bike). Knocked out 2k ft of descending in ~45 minutes. Helps that the geo and kinematics of this thing are some of the best I've come across on any bike.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
First week on an ebike and I have to eat crow. Shit is fun as fuck. Had a limited window to ride today between wrapping up work and wife/kids getting home (my main use case for one; that and be able to do dh laps on "recovery days" from the meat bike). Knocked out 2k ft of descending in ~45 minutes. Helps that the geo and kinematics of this thing are some of the best I've come across on any bike.
What eeb did you get?

Agreed, they are fun AF.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
you push your bike up ladders/sections with a rope next to you that helps you climb up?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
FYI - You're supposed to ride the thing on the dirt, not carry it so it doesn't get dirty.
It's the inner German green in him where hiking trails are good but bike trails are bad so he adapted.

Though having a way to hook your bike to your back and not just use the pedal is nice. Would be great when carrying it to ride on soft stuff like f volcanic dunes (jesus those things are a pita to climb)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
you push your bike up ladders/sections with a rope next to you that helps you climb up?
Yeah, never done that before. There is only one place in Colorado that I know of that has a rope to help you. It's in Fruita, and it is part of a 30 mile loop. And has never sounded appealing.

Here in the Rocky Mountains, trails that steep aren't sustainable. It'll just erode away. We don't really have many giant rock formations like western Canada/Whistler. If we do, they are very short in comparison. And you go down it, not up.

It's not just about striking the pedals with your shins, it's about the balance. We hooked our bikes to our backpacks with a homemade version of that thing when we did some of our multi-day alpine trips. There are no bike paths on the way up, just hiking paths (not trails) at best. Being able to walk without pushing the bike and at a much faster pace is unbeatable.

Previously we grabbed the bike by the left pedal and carried it on our shoulders, like this:

The bike hook is a hundred times more comfortable, and it also frees both of your hands.
Is the "bike hook" a product or something that folks gin up?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Is the "bike hook" a product or something that folks gin up?
We made ours with some steel rod and zip ties, but there a number of commercially available products, such as the PeakRider:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Literally never heard of that slow MOTO brand. But this as a city commuter would be fun..but still $10K.

Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 7.17.47 AM.png