Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
WTB Ebike handle saddle. :rofl:Fuck off.
Reverb servicing workshop's gonna win tho

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
From https://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-commencal-meta-power-bosch.html

"HILL HOLD
The Hill Hold function prevents the bike from rolling backwards in Smart Walk Assistance mode. "

I wonder if once brakes go electronic will it will be a matter of time before we start getting climb and decent assist modes and traction control on bikes.
Having a Commencal ebike...Yeah, not quite sure that "hill hold" is really necessary. That's like having a Tesla automagically rolling down the window a tiny bit when you open the door for "air pressure". Do you really need that? How have we ever evolved as a species with out this?!?! :D

I never use my "walk assist mode" it's kinda unusable because it is so slow. You end up having to shift to a really small cog, so it actually can walk with you. And of course you were in the biggest cog, cuz big techy climb. Maybe Bosch is better than Shimano?

Speaking of, interesting to see Commencal is switching to Bosch. My buddy has a Bosch on his Trek. It is pretty good. Can't tell if it's better. Just a little different. And I liked it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I never use my "walk assist mode" it's kinda unusable because it is so slow. You end up having to shift to a really small cog, so it actually can walk with you. And of course you were in the biggest cog, cuz big techy climb. Maybe Bosch is better than Shimano?
It simply turns the motor at a set speed. So yeah. The only way to control the speed is through gearing. It's set slow so folk don't use it as a throttle in higher gears.
No bosch isn't any better. The only folk I've ever met who use it are the same folk who struggle to lift their bike over fences/gates. So yeah. Probably useful If you're old, weak or have a disability. or maybe have a laden cargo bike. But not so much for the likes of you or me out mountainbiking. I have a feeling "hill hold" is aimed at a similar demographic. Anyone even vaguely experienced at biking would simply use their rear brake.
And. No. Bosch isn't really any more useful. Possibly even less so depending on the controller used.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ridiculous technical climbing challenges are fun on ebikes, and sometimes you end up walking. Most of the time we just push, but there are times when walk mode (shimano) is pretty useful, like steep and loose pitches where traction is so limited you can barely walk, let alone push a 55 lb. bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've honestly never climbed anything on an Ebike that couldn't be done on a normal bike

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've honestly never climbed anything on an Ebike that couldn't be done on a normal bike
I've climbed long, technical sections (like Blue Grouse clockwise at Golden Gate) on my Shuttle that I could do in short bits on a regular bike but couldn't string together but for going straight anaerobic. But, yes, there's no individual move that's possible only with e-assist. It's not like it's an electric trials moto.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Fair point, but it makes those thing possible for the majority of people that don’t possess that kind of insane fitness to clean entire sections. I can only say that for me, it has allowed me to climb things that I never, ever could have before. Or have ever seen or heard of other people climbing under their own power.
But sure, there are guys out there who theoretically could.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fair point, but it makes those thing possible for the majority of people that don’t possess that kind of insane fitness to clean entire sections. I can only say that for me, it has allowed me to climb things that I never, ever could have before. Or have ever seen or heard of other people climbing under their own power.
hmm. Let us ride Mountain Lion + a Blue Grouse loop next time you're out and compare notes. :)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I enjoy the challenge of making it up a properly tricky climb and if it takes a many attempts once completed I'm perfectly happy to never even try it again. I wouldn't actually get anywhere near the same sense of achievement using an Ebike to tick off the challenge.
I also enjoy attempting climbs, technical trails and tricky sections on quite inapropriate bikes. eg. enduro routes and XC rides on a dirt jump/pumptrack hardtail or riding my roadbike with 25mm slicks off road. or 40 miles of road on a BMX.

I think you'll find we have most of the soils.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree. I'm a pretty solid technical climber and there are definitely portions of trails I'd never clear on a regular bike that I can clean on an e-bike. Fitness is definitely part of it but not the whole story.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I enjoy the challenge of making it up a properly tricky climb and if it takes a many attempts once completed I'm perfectly happy to never even try it again. I wouldn't actually get anywhere near the same sense of achievement using an Ebike to tick off the challenge.
I also enjoy attempting climbs, technical trails and tricky sections on quite inapropriate bikes. eg. enduro routes and XC rides on a dirt jump/pumptrack hardtail or riding my roadbike with 25mm slicks off road. or 40 miles of road on a BMX.

I think you'll find we have most of the soils.
Yeah, I have spent 40 years doing exactly that. Repeatedly, over and over, sometimes getting it, sometimes not, sometimes never. But on the ebike? It’s not about a ‘sense of accomplishment’ or any nonsense, it’s just fucking fun blasting up shit that I otherwise can’t.

But I still greatly prefer my 30 pound pedal bike overall. E has its times and places.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are there sections of those that would be considered very difficult on the ebike (uphill?)
I can’t think of one on the Mt. Lion uphill.
IMG_3810.jpeg

Blue Grouse, this

there’s one shale right hand switchback up Mountain Lion that I think is hard. I clean it most of the time but it’s on the edge. Last one before the final push to the into the trees section up top is also challenging

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I think for me, it was more of a 'hey I paid for this feature, so might as well use it'. Then it was 'well that sucks'.

The two times I have used the self propel mode was (and this is for Colorado guys)

1) Dakota Ridge. The newer, south end trail. I haven't ridden there in years. This trail was new to me. Plus it was my first time on the eeb and wanted to try the self propel mode. Meh.

2) Left Hand Canyon. We went up what was a super sweet down. I still don't know any of the trail names out there. So don't ask ;) I just know where to go. Probably the second ride on the eeb. Again, just wanted to try it out. Again - meh. That's when I was like I'll just push my 50+lb bike. Thanks.

Up here we do have a super techy, narrow and steep climb that we normally push our regular bikes up. I tried pedaling up the thing with the eeb and ended up high-siding down the hill into cactus due to a crank/pedal strike shooting me off the bike. Good times :D I'll clean it one of these days...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Having a Commencal ebike...Yeah, not quite sure that "hill hold" is really necessary. That's like having a Tesla automagically rolling down the window a tiny bit when you open the door for "air pressure". Do you really need that? How have we ever evolved as a species with out this?!?! :D

Speaking of, interesting to see Commencal is switching to Bosch. My buddy has a Bosch on his Trek. It is pretty good. Can't tell if it's better. Just a little different. And I liked it.
you need proper steep hiking paths to utilize the walk option

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I use my emtb only for climbing and walk back down the hill using the Bosch walking assistant. This way I feel that I’ve earned the climb.
You have no idea the number of dirt roadies around here that will do the climb and walk down. On a normal bike. And it's not like it's hard. It's a freakin dirt road. It is steep. And there is plenty of singletrack to be had on the down so there are options. But yeah....I LOL'd at your comment

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Bike companies:
“We’ve carefully analysed our existing bicycle structures, creating new standards and stronger componentry to last the rigours of Ebiking”

Bafang:
“We believe all bicycles should be turned into a 30mph claymore mine”

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
Bike companies:
“We’ve carefully analysed our existing bicycle structures, creating new standards and stronger componentry to last the rigours of Ebiking”

Bafang:
“We believe all bicycles should be turned into a 30mph claymore mine”

I don’t understand your message. Do you see this bike as a threat? To whom? I think this shed find bike looks the same as if my grandpa married a 20 year old chinese olympic hammerthrower and they had a child.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I agree. I'm a pretty solid technical climber and there are definitely portions of trails I'd never clear on a regular bike that I can clean on an e-bike. Fitness is definitely part of it but not the whole story.
Yep. I've seen them riding up ~30+% grades. Anything in the 20s starts taxing me pretty bad and there are climbs that I've never seen anyone riding up that they are doing. Maybe there is someone on earth that can do these on a "normal" bike, but that would be rare to exceptional. When the bike moves forward on flat without really supplying any pedaling force, yeah, it's going to be capable of climbing some monster stuff.

It is what it is, but it definitely translates to making it up stuff that is otherwise not rideable up.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I don’t understand your message. Do you see this bike as a threat? To whom? I think this shed find bike looks the same as if my grandpa married a 20 year old chinese olympic hammerthrower and they had a child.
I’m glad our lack of understanding goes both ways, as I have no idea what you’re trying to say. But the mental image is nice I guess?

My point is that full power mtbs tend to be heavier, with beefed up components, and a new emergence of standards for wider head tubes etc.

Meanwhile there are slews of Bafang (other after market motors are also available) motors attached to all kinds of sketchy bikes. The Santa Cruz super light with Bafang that I linked above is pretty good compared to some of the atrocious builds I’ve seen cobbled together. Irregardless, combining a 20 year old, lightweight alu bike, with 30lb of battery and a throttle seems like a great way to tear a bike apart.