Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No. It actually proves you have zero experience in what you're talking about ergo negates your fucking logic.

I come from a background DHing during the time 150mm travel (and then 170mm and then 200mm) DH bikes were fitted with heavy parts and overall heavier than my current 170mm Ebike. I remember exactly how those old things handled. It's not the same as my how Ebike handles when descending with the motor switched off. Weight distribution and geometry actually mean the Ebike handles better than those old DH bikes did given the same weight/travel
No, it proves nothing and you are mounting a great attack on a strawman you built so nicely.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Turbo LEVO Med (or is it a large?)
He is probably around 175cm.
Thanks. Reason I was asking is I think longer Ebikes. Might just be me but because of the extra weight I find longer Ebikes harder to pop and play with on the trail but if he's on a medium that shouldn't be a huge issue. The Levo is a pretty heavy bike though and doesn't have brilliant geometry for pure descending. You definitely have to be strong to throw them about but it's much more to do with preloading them than it is about pulling. When I switch back to my Capra now it always feels light AF for the first little while. (really similar sizing/geometry with same travel and RS suspension)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No, it proves nothing and you are mounting a great attack on a strawman you built so nicely.
Kinda rich coming from someone calling BULLSHIT on something I didn't say.

I'm confused as to which guy is representing you in your avitar, I'm tending to favour "both"

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Gary is right, new e bikes handle great. They only weigh more. The e-mtb mode on bosch (and shimano) works fantastic and actually makes sense.
Since I have/get to test a lot of bikes in work and my colleague really likes e bikes I've tested a few times.
You guys really should test them before just dismissing them.
The main point in me not liking them is that they make so much more noise than my normal bike. If I wanted noise I would ride a Huskvarna 4-stroke.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
like the Husky. i actually quite like the feedback the motor noise gives you as to how much assist it's giving while pedalling. Saves looking at the power bar on the display so much and helps you learn not to just ride it at full revs everywhere.
I'm used to the noise now but still quite often switch it off when passing slow riders climbing on regular bikes, partly because I've always passed others (except mates obvz) in a courteous fashion while chatting to and thanking them and partly because i don't want them to think I'm going to pass like a dick when they hear the motor behind them. A few folk have made comments about it being an Ebike when I've passed while it's switched off.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I briefly tried an emtb from Specialized last year and I was quite surprised by how silent the motor was. It makes a little buzz sound but far less than expected

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Electric cars are adding fake motor noises so pedestrians don't get killed and I think E-bikes should keep being a bit noisy. When you pass someone, but he knows he is being passed by an Ebike he is not going to feel bad at all. Trail etiquette is very important and you have to be extra friendly with everyone. And if someone decide to race a bit with you, you have to play it cool and let them win...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I briefly tried an emtb from Specialized last year and I was quite surprised by how silent the motor was. It makes a little buzz sound but far less than expected
Yeah, their Brose motor is nice and quiet. My Shimsno isn’t as silent. Sounds like a little RC car.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Electric cars are adding fake motor noises so pedestrians don't get killed and I think E-bikes should keep being a bit noisy. When you pass someone, but he knows he is being passed by an Ebike he is not going to feel bad at all. Trail etiquette is very important and you have to be extra friendly with everyone. And if someone decide to race a bit with you, you have to play it cool and let them win...
Most mental sounding bike I was ever passed by was ridden by an Elite rider lapping a knackered me in an XC race in the early 90s. He was way faster than me and approaching on a slightly up hill rough double track trying to get ahead where the track narrowed to single track. I actually pulled over to watch and listen in awe of the thunderstorm about to pass me. His only motor were the legs and lungs of an elite level cyclist.
His rear wheel was one of these things

I don't think bike noise matters either way as far as trail etiquate is concerned. not being a dick does. motor or no motor.
If yer racin' Etiquate is different. otherwise don't be a dick. It really shouldn't be that hard. But humans.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm an ebiker now, but no pedals. I got this last week and it's sick!

110lbs and plenty of power to bring up the front wheel, do trials stuff, or climb any hill. I'm waiting for a stiffer fork spring and will do some other tuning to the fork but besides that the bike is perfect, and only $4000! Luna Cycle is the American importer.
https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike/
Where can one ride these legally? Motorcycle trails, right? If so, then why not a Zero or a gasser? Just price?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

110lbs and plenty of power to bring up the front wheel, do trials stuff, or climb any hill. I'm waiting for a stiffer fork spring and will do some other tuning to the fork but besides that the bike is perfect, and only $4000! Luna Cycle is the American importer.
This is the only type of e-bike I wont boo

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

looking forward to the ride review...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Where can one ride these legally? Motorcycle trails, right? If so, then why not a Zero or a gasser? Just price?
Lighter and cheaper than the closest available gasser which is the KTM Freeride 250R. I have one of those also and it's sweet but loud and 80lbs heavier. The silence of this thing makes it usable in not quite legal areas which we have a lot of on Maui and it gets no notice when I ride by a cop on the street. Zero doesn't seem to make a true dirtbike anymore, just a heavy dual sport. The Alta is more than 3 times the price and more than 2 times the weight. There's nothing else out there comparable to the Sur-ron. The gas powered FX out of New Zealand was similar but they're not available anymore, and noisier.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Seriously! It makes me wonder why someone would want an electric bike with pedals. It's a compromised MTB and no where near a dirtbike.
They reason to go for a e-bike with pedals and limited power is that they're legal on certain trail systems (like all of the ones local to me), which it sounds like this one isn't from your description. Plus there's the whole ~doubling your power versus having something 10x as powerful as you.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008

What range are you getting out of a charge on this?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
What range are you getting out of a charge on this?
I got the bike, then had to leave for a work trip 2 days later so haven't had time to go for a long enough ride to get below 47% but that ride was over an hour of pavement, dirtroad, doubletrack, singletrack, and bushwacking "singletrack" with like 1700ft of elevation and some pinning, some gentle cruising. My buddy was down to 41% on his. I'm hearing 1-3 hours on a full charge depending how hard you wring it out. Charging from 0-100% takes 3 hours. When I get one in Colorado next summer I'll get an extra battery, an inverter to charge off my van, and solar charging equipement for the van. That seems like the only way to use it when camping. I'm keeping my KTM Freeride 250r but definitely selling my KTM 105sx and maybe my 300xc. This bike best suits the way I like to ride dirtbikes, which is very MTB style.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
E Bike - another way to say you're not getting fat enough by riding a real mountain bike.
I dunno man. If you ride the way old mate in the vidya was, that’s a pretty intense workout.

Let's face it, DH has been bleeding riders to enduro for some time now. Common complaints of DH include not getting much ride time in and the difficulty of getting a shuttle crew together. Having a bike with a built in uplift machine could solve those problems. E-bikes: making DH great again? (Just don’t be a knob and ride UP downhill tracks.)

Last edited:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Even if the workout is very light, it's still a workout. Today for example I'm going for a ride after lunch and I only have a couple of hours of sunlight so my only option is to start climbing (1.500ft) with a full stomach... With a normal bike that's crazy, with an E-Bike is fine. At the end of the year I'm riding a lot more and getting a lot better.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Having a bike with a built in uplift machine could solve those problems. E-bikes: making DH great again?
Works for me.
Although it's no free ride like an uplift truck.
I rode mine for 5 hours yesterday and the last couple of miles was on an empty battery and an empty me. Ironically in that last couple of miles two uplift trucks passed me on a fire road while I was pedalling an un-assisted 50lb bike up in the 50T sprocket. fucked. I ride those uplifts too. A whole 8 hr day gets you 12-15 uplifts around 45min to 1 hr of actual riding time.
Legs and upperbody are tired today. Way more tired than an uplift day.
Why wouldn't you ride your Emtb like you ride your DH/Enduro bike? I rode with a couple of fast stylish Endurbro racers younger than my eldest child earlier on in the day and wasn't slowing them down or taking any less rad lines or riding round anything poppy. Trust me. It was an all over work out. I rode twice the distance and elevation they did. Every DH/Enduro rider should try an E at some point ;)

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I got the bike, then had to leave for a work trip 2 days later so haven't had time to go for a long enough ride to get below 47% but that ride was over an hour of pavement, dirtroad, doubletrack, singletrack, and bushwacking "singletrack" with like 1700ft of elevation and some pinning, some gentle cruising. My buddy was down to 41% on his. I'm hearing 1-3 hours on a full charge depending how hard you wring it out. Charging from 0-100% takes 3 hours. When I get one in Colorado next summer I'll get an extra battery, an inverter to charge off my van, and solar charging equipement for the van. That seems like the only way to use it when camping. I'm keeping my KTM Freeride 250r but definitely selling my KTM 105sx and maybe my 300xc. This bike best suits the way I like to ride dirtbikes, which is very MTB style.
does it regain power on the downhills?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Reading through the luna cycles literature and they definitely say that in x-bike trim, the Sur Ron does have regen, start at about 5:10 for regen discussion;

I've recently drunk the kool-aid myself and picked up a second hand e-fatbike as a year round commuter / substitute second vehicle here in Whistler. Mine has the defunct Bion-X kit that has regen and it's a surprisingly useful feature.