Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Hey guys,I have a question on the chains you are runnin on the sleds. Saw a YT video talkin about how you should/need a EBike chain. It causes more stress on the chain so they made a special chain for EBikes. How is it heavier,stronger? Cost Is worth it? Why don’t the DH boys run um,or do they.

Avy
go full linkglide everything

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hey guys,I have a question on the chains you are runnin on the sleds. Saw a YT video talkin about how you should/need a EBike chain. It causes more stress on the chain so they made a special chain for EBikes. How is it heavier,stronger? Cost Is worth it? Why don’t the DH boys run um,or do they.

Avy
There's no such thing as an Ebike chain Avy.
Personally I run 10sp drivetrains on both my Eebs.
It lasts a lot longer and costs pennies in consumables.
I don't need lower than 36X36 (36T ring 11-36cass) where I ride with a motor spitting out extra watts. YMMV

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
go full linkglide everything
Honestly not convinced. It still uses a normal chain. So where the fuck is the 300% MOAR durable claim coming from? (for ref I get ~4000miles out a SRAM 1030 chain, deore cassette and cheap chinese NW ring). No fucking way is LG going to do 8000 MOAR.

LG Mech/shifter isnt cross compatible with anything else so could be a ROYAL PITA for the clumsier Eeber.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Must've said this a million times. The best way to get maximum life out an Ebike drivetrain is to..
Firstly stop shifting under load at all. Always pedal lightly and smoothly while executing a shift. If struggling., use the motor modes to achieve decent cadence BEFORE shifting if you're pushing too hard to light pedal.
Secondly look after your drivetrain (clean/lubed... its really that simple)
And lastly avoid wide ratio cassettes and long cage mechs. (this increases chain wrap on smallest sprockets and causes less wear to chain and sprockets while shifting)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Honestly not convinced. It still uses a normal chain. So where the fuck is the 300% MOAR durable claim coming from? (for ref I get ~4000miles out a SRAM 1030 chain, deore cassette and cheap chinese NW ring). No fucking way is LG going to do 8000 MOAR.

LG Mech/shifter isnt cross compatible with anything else so could be a ROYAL PITA for the clumsier Eeber.
it’s compatible with the future, not with the past. i have now bikes that last year‘s modell was on acera that this years model is on linkglide now. will last longer, customer wins

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, seeing as Gary has been worked up into proper tizzy/lather, I’ll change the subject. I wonder if I could retrofit two of these for two wheel drive fat-ebiking, LOL.
Boy, would that piss off some skate-skiers!

432C67A6-8A56-4671-95ED-5E22C6AFB1FC.png

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Must've said this a million times. The best way to get maximum life out an Ebike drivetrain is to..
Firstly stop shifting under load at all. Always pedal lightly and smoothly while executing a shift. If struggling., use the motor modes to achieve decent cadence BEFORE shifting if you're pushing too hard to light pedal.
Secondly look after your drivetrain (clean/lubed... its really that simple)
And lastly avoid wide ratio cassettes and long cage mechs. (this increases chain wrap on smallest sprockets and causes less wear to chain and sprockets while shifting)
Well that is just common sense amongst us I would have thought Gary? That goes for a regular bike as well. Even on the cadence comment,for me to get that ”cadence”(non e bike) I always give a big power stroke then click the shifter. Dont know if you remember a while back,I said I have 3 chains for each bike to prolong the life of the drivetrain. Pull the chain,clean the rings,put clean lubed chain on and roll out. Rinse repeat. Then some monkeys said there is no need for that Avy,I use 1 chain and get blah blah miles.

So what I have been hearing at a couple YT videos about the chain is Bullshit? There is no chain? That is why I was asking as I was wondering How is this chain special? Better metal,Wider,what? It has to shift smooth,so what is up with chain I thought?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rotating 3 chains is a load of shite as well as a waste of time and money. Absolute minimal difference from just running one until worn to 0.2%+ but looking after it well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rotating 3 chains is a load of shite as well as a waste of time and money. Absolute minimal difference from just running one until worn to 0.2%+ but looking after it well.
Worn chains wear out gears. Worn out gears wear out chains. Worn gears and worn chains work well together. Cycling through multiple sets of chains as the rest of the drivetrain wears definitely increases total drive-train lifespan.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is EXACTLY the opposite of what I was explaining. Doing this on an Ebike would wreck chains and cassettes in no time.
I'm guessing he's saying he puts in a big power stroke, then gets off the power before he shifts, not that he shifts in the middle of laying down the power.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Worn chains wear out gears. Worn out gears wear out chains. Worn gears and worn chains work well together. Cycling through multiple sets of chains as the rest of the drivetrain wears definitely increases total drive-train lifespan.
Rarely in a cost effective way.
Make of this what you will but I've never met a single chain shuffler who's getting MOAR mileage out of a cassette than I do from running one chain and allowing everything to wear out evenly to it's death.
Because of the three main reasons I gave earlier. Eeb or normal bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I get more life out of cassettes and chainrings by replacing chains earlier than otherwise necessary. Not only is that cost-effective, but new chains feel great and shift better. But I don't do the multiple chains in rotation thing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rarely in a cost effective way.
Make of this what you will but I've never met a single chain shuffler who's getting MOAR mileage out of a cassette than I do from running one chain and allowing everything to wear out evenly to it's death.
Because of the three main reasons I gave earlier. Eeb or normal bike.
I used to burn through a chain every two months or so and a couple of cassettes and a handful of chainrings per year. rotating chains out every month and I was able pretty much double the life of cassettes and chainrings.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
doesn't whether this would work depend on the variation in rates of wear in the chain and cassette? this in turn seems like it'd be not a constant ratio, depending on pedaling style, applied torque, preferred cog

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
doesn't whether this would work depend on the variation in rates of wear in the chain and cassette? this in turn seems like it'd be not a constant ratio, depending on pedaling style, applied torque, preferred cog
I failed to take detailed wear rate measurements and calculate an optimized cycling routine. I fear this will be one of my greatest deathbed regrets.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I get more life out of cassettes and chainrings by replacing chains earlier than otherwise necessary. Not only is that cost-effective, but new chains feel great and shift better. But I don't do the multiple chains in rotation thing.
This is how I started doing the chain cycling thing. Replacing chains earlier reduces wear on the gears. Then when a new chain performs poorly on old gears I found out the old chains worked well with them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I used to burn through a chain every two months or so and a couple of cassettes and a handful of chainrings per year. rotating chains out every month and I was able pretty much double the life of cassettes and chainrings.
Without a single mention of ride lengths, distances, terrain types, conditions or frequency of riding that's pretty meaningless to me.

a chain every 2 months = 6 chains a year. So at a conservative guess of £20 per chain your outlay on chains alone will be £120 a year?
That's £40 more than my full drivetrain cost even at full RRP (£45 cassette, £20 chain, £15 104bcd NW chainring) . Currently functioning at around 2.0% wear from 5000+ miles of mixed conditions all season riding.

What ARE you spending on chains. And now you're rotating them. How many are you getting through per year? (mileage would be a lot more helpful)

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is how I started doing the chain cycling thing. Replacing chains earlier reduces wear on the gears. Then when a new chain performs poorly on old gears I found out the old chains worked well with them.
Makes sense but between me and my S.O. we've got several bikes at different stages of wear and but I can't be bothered keeping track, so I just replace chains sooner than I need to. The trick is to do that before the cassette is worn to the point that a new chain won't mesh well. With this method I'l go through 3 or 4 chains before needing to replace a cassette. Admittedly though, this is with expensive 12 spd eagle, for which you pretty much need a home equity loan to buy a cassette.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Clearly not bro.

This is EXACTLY the opposite of what I was explaining. Doing this on an Ebike would wreck chains and cassettes in no time.
Calm down,I misspoke.
I was saying that only while climbing and shifting under load. If I am going uphill and need a lighter gear,I will push hard and get speed up then shift with no pressure on the drivetrain. So that is the same as a E Bike,actually it would be much easier,not the opposite.

I have no idea why there is a line there?

Avy

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have no idea why there is a line there?
I'm no IT guy but I hear all sorts of strange shit can happen when an angry man smashes his keyboard with sweat n tears flying everywhere.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
OMG, BOYS, I POACHED SOME TRAILS!

lol, I rode this thing up a gravel road to the top of Snow King (ski area) for giggles (I work a concert up there tomorrow) I didn't feel like riding back down the road, so I took the very excellent singletrack home. It was very interesting. Probably 70/71 degree HTA, 60mm of front travel, 50mm tires, tubes, and about 40 pounds. Felt like 1989, no lie. Slowest I have ridden in decades. Had to ride SO light and smooth not to flat. One dude gave me a funny look when I was descending, I said "Forgive me, I got lost on my commute home". He laughed.
No Strava proof.
1000003574.jpg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Invasive species, it appears Haibikes made it across the Atlantic. If you think that’s bad, you haven’t seen the rest of their line up.
i like e-bikes

and I agree with this assessment. haibikes are abdominations

one of my riding buddies has one to commute on. it looks stupid like rideit's, only is somehow FS, too iirc.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
That thing is built like a brick shithouse. I have had it almost 10 years now. So ugly it will never get stolen, thousands of miles ridden. It was the only one I could get at cost in 2014.
Absolutely nothing has broken on it, even with a chipped motor.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Haibikes are abdominations

one of my riding buddies has one to commute on. it looks stupid like rideit's, only is somehow FS, too iirc.
For years and years Haibike have stolen the crown for ugliest bikes on the market. But take a look at their latest lightweight FS Ebike. They're kinda finally getting the hang of it after all these years.