Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No. that's a massive fail IMO

Most Ebikes had their battery in a better place back when external batteries were the norm (2017-19 ish). Most were Alu. and lighter than current Emtbs too

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
BT? No. I don't think so. Tell me MOAR?
That's a great weight for a 630wh battery. But my point was designers fucked the weight distribution in the search of making Eebs "look" less Ebikey by fitting Loooong narrow batteries up inside downtubes.
Now Ebikes are accepted (by most). They really need to get away from that ridiculous idea and design compact batteries designed to sit with the bulk of the weight lower down and closer to the BB and not necessarily hidden away. (which BTW also created the heavier frames we see today).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cheers Seth. Had kinda forgotten BH was even a brand.
Kinda steeper H/A for an Enduro bike but not necessarily bad Geo for pingin' about on.
You ridden one?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my Pivot Shuttle has better battery weight distribution than most, as the pack is right where the downtube _would_ be.

downside is that swapping out the external-form-factor pack involves 12 T25 and 2 4 mm Allen bolts to remove the faux-bottom-of-downtube cover to which the battery is affixed.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I get the feeling the prohibitive factor might well be cost.
Mind you. Plenty folk seem absolutely fine with paying £10k for a 26kg mediocre spec carbon Emtb to mince around on

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That'll be firstly because your Orbea Wild is one of the lighter modern full power motor Emtbs and secondly because it doesn't have all that long an internal battery. and it's not shoved right up the downtube all the way to the headube.
I suspect you simply haven't ridden an Emtb with poor weight distribution. Try a Mondraker Level XR with the 750wh battery.
If that's not an option for you simply hang an extra kilo of lead around the very top of your Wild's downtube then try and bunny hop and manual the bike. I can't guarantee simulated *anal retention* but spend long enough trying to unweight the front and you probably will feel lower back fatigue.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Hmmm I've riden a few mate (it goes with the teritory when you owned a bike shop up until a year ago.)
The Wild is NOT the lightweight orbea (perhaps you are thinking of the Rise? which I've also ridden extensively), the Wild has a 750wh battery that goes up the inside of the down tube it starts about 15cm forward of the cranks and goes 90% of the way to the steerer.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know it's not THE lightweight one but it's claimed weight is definitely one of the lighter 750wh full power motor longer travel Emtbs

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Cheers Seth. Had kinda forgotten BH was even a brand.
Kinda steeper H/A for an Enduro bike but not necessarily bad Geo for pingin' about on.
You ridden one?
never seen one in rl, dunno if they even have distribution here

jusg interesting that there are now 2 spanish/basque companies that have custom batteries with way better kwh/kg than the big guns

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
That'll be firstly because your Orbea Wild is one of the lighter modern full power motor Emtbs and secondly because it doesn't have all that long an internal battery. and it's not shoved right up the downtube all the way to the headube.
I suspect you simply haven't ridden an Emtb with poor weight distribution. Try a Mondraker Level XR with the 750wh battery.
If that's not an option for you simply hang an extra kilo of lead around the very top of your Wild's downtube then try and bunny hop and manual the bike. I can't guarantee simulated *anal retention* but spend long enough trying to unweight the front and you probably will feel lower back fatigue.
one of last gen norcos with the 900wh battery is even worse

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
one of last gen norcos with the 900wh battery is even worse
We had a batch of those to sell when they first became available in the UK. Sold quickly. But when PDI'd. Not ONE battery worked. Customers refunded and bikes sent back. Dodged a bullet really. Horrendous weight. and terrible battery insertion system.
Let's hope brands using the 21700 cell batteries get it right. YT was first brand I noticed with custom batteries for the Shimano motor and those had many issues too.

It's interesting how some folk just don't notice bad weight distribution. Especially if it's someone with a lot of experience.