Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Ok, I came up with an idea for a mod. If I could rig up a small pressure pad under the saddle, that immediately switched your assist (heh) from walk-mode to Trail or Trail+, that would be super duper neato.
We have all hopped back on, ready to give ‘er the beans on some steep slope, and the bike is still in walk or 0 assist.

Anyone with me on this?

“This bike is ASS-isted!”
you never rode a specialized or shimano motor obv

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
you press the button and the mode is on as long as you press it
Not true.
Maybe on flat stuff where you aren’t lifting your bike over big rocks and shit.
We might have different use cases.
Por ejemplo: look at the topo contour here for about 1800 feet of this. (The only rideable uphill part was the loop up top, which is actually the bottom)
IMG_1999.png

But that’s not the point. The point is with all of them, you still have to toggle through your assist levels to get it back into ‘drive’. (AFIK?)

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
The point is with all of them, you still have to toggle through your assist levels to get it back into ‘drive’. (AFIK?)
not with Shimano at least. start in any mode. long press the "down mode" button, goes right to walk mode.

when done then single press the "up mode" button and you're back in your prior mode directly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That kinda shit, which I’ve done a fair amount of, usually requires carrying the bike on the back, for the rock scrambles and 50% grades. There’s a point where pushing just doesn’t work on the grades and terrain. Bringing an ebike for that is like bringing a fat bike to a road race. Idiots are gunna try tho, so they dont have to work pedaling uphill at all.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
(Mostly) Impossible to pedal.
And an ebike on your back is impractical, to say the least. Especially when there are intermittent sections where you can pedal.
Again, every use case, and every trail, is different.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Many reasons. It’s not binary. There could be 4 miles and 3k that are rideable on an ebike, but not a regular bike. That’s a huge waste of time (and daylight) to push.
The chief being that you could get in way, way more riding/descending with the e, due to how much more ground you can cover on all the rideable stuff.
That said, I’m gonna do a bunch of this type of stuff on a regular bike in Peru next week, at above 14k, and up to 15.5k, possibly. I just can’t really ride a regular bike up anything, at all, at those altitudes. So we push. There are no alternative ridable routes.
Sometimes we take burros, or hire porters.

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Well, it’s really more of my ass than my fanny.
Fanny = Vagina
Ass = Donkey

FFS!

You cunts made a complete arse of adopting our language.

Emtb's aren't really any more difficult to push, just a bit heavier to lift.
I never use walk mode as it's a linear assistance so needs to be in an appropriate gear to achieve a suitable walking pace so I'd rather just push it unassisted

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Not true.
Maybe on flat stuff where you aren’t lifting your bike over big rocks and shit.
We might have different use cases.
Por ejemplo: look at the topo contour here for about 1800 feet of this. (The only rideable uphill part was the loop up top, which is actually the bottom)
View attachment 220445

But that’s not the point. The point is with all of them, you still have to toggle through your assist levels to get it back into ‘drive’. (AFIK?)
nope, as soon as you stop you are in the ride mode you were in before. still exhausting for the thumb, especially on the specialized bike as the button is not really ergonomically placed to be pressed over a longer period.

that's why i find the dji one so intriguing, you only press it once and it auto senses when you push the bike and automatically turns on the assist. and in the steeps it has an anti rollback mode

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I dunno, everyone in my posse that push up 1k-2k (unclimbable) approaches agree that walk mode kinds suck currently.
Yeah, biggest dissapoint in ebike is the walk mode. Fucking walk mode bro. It's like you had one job to do!

I don't even bother. I'd rather sweat my balls off and get the work out, and not engage that POS function

Did I mention how fond I am of walk mode? HA

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Fanny = Vagina
Ass = Donkey

FFS!
First, I appreciate this lesson. No really. I had a British girlfriend. From Leads, I believe. Long time ago. Long before Mrs SylentK. Here in the US. So my language skillz have diminished. Much like all my skillz :D

I always thought fanny was butt. Hence Fanny Pack. Like a bum pack. Cuz it's above your donkey/bum/ass.

So is fanny the same as a cunt? I don't think that would work here. But I like it.

Or is it just really referring to the bit of a woman. Which is probably the best part. But I'm not going to go there :D

So...just for giggles. Can you say, for example "you stupid donkey. You can shove this up your fanny!" And people would know what that means?

I assume that'd be fighting words with a rugby player at the pub :D

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
we should go hike-a-biking in switzerland once, i'll show you some trails where you can't push anymore, but start to use the bike as a hiking accessory to push yourself up...
Hike-a-bike isn't exclusive to the swiss mountains ya fanny.
Add in our terrible weather and it's a miserable day out on an Ebike or normal bike

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@SylentK
Your ex would have been from Leeds. (not Leads)
Yes. Fanny means vagina
As an insult "fanny" means more fool/Idiot. The word "Cunt" litterally means vaginas but is used in many different ways to mean many different things.
Eg. "yer a good cunt" = I like you and you can be trusted
"That manager is a total cunt" = do not trust the guy
"oh. Ya cunt!" = used to describe surprise of excitement.
It's often also used just in place if a name for a person. And not necessarily in an insulting way.
Even inanimate objects can be described by replacing their name with the word "cunt"
Yes we sometimes call people "donkey" although it wouldn't rate all that highly on a Scottish insult scale. And generally just means "a bit useless"

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah, biggest dissapoint in ebike is the walk mode. Fucking walk mode bro. It's like you had one job to do!

I don't even bother. I'd rather sweat my balls off and get the work out, and not engage that POS function

Did I mention how fond I am of walk mode? HA
Walk mode is implemented so badly mainly because was engineered in a way that would not allow it to be used like a throttle.
Engaging walk mode isn't the hassle. Changing gear so it "walks" at an appropriate speed is.
Dji's work around does sound a lot better than Shimano, Brose or Bosch's

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@SylentK
Your ex would have been from Leeds. (not Leads)
Yes. Fanny means vagina
As an insult "fanny" means more fool/Idiot. The word "Cunt" litterally means vaginas but is used in many different ways to mean many different things.
Eg. "yer a good cunt" = I like you and you can be trusted
"That manager is a total cunt" = do not trust the guy
"oh. Ya cunt!" = used to describe surprise of excitement.
It's often also used just in place if a name for a person. And not necessarily in an insulting way.
Even inanimate objects can be described by replacing their name with the word "cunt"
Yes we sometimes call people "donkey" although it wouldn't rate all that highly on a Scottish insult scale. And generally just means "a bit useless"
A friend of mine use to say "Hey Gunt Fucker" every time he rang me.
I never bothered looking up the meaning, he told me what it was a few years on-
Gunt- The protruding area of blubber that sticks out below the gut and above the cunt.

He had a 2kW two wheel drive Kona Unit maybe ten years back.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Quite a lot to like about this new cotic.

Going internal with batteries was always a bad idea in my humble opinion. External may look ungainly but way easier to live with.

Can’t say much about the rest of it as I’ve not ridden the new shimano motor, and steel is kind of a subjective choice, but the overall package ticks a lot of boxes for me (no internal brake cabling, easy to access battery, doesn’t look like a spaceship)