Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A friend of mine use to say "Hey Gunt Fucker" every time he rang me.
I never bothered looking up the meaning, he told me what it was a few years on-
Gunt- The protruding area of blubber that sticks out below the gut and above the cunt.

He had a 2kW two wheel drive Kona Unit maybe ten years back.
Never heard anyone say "gunt". Sounds like it might have been infuenced by the name "Barse" - The area of skin between your ballsack and arsehole

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If you're fit/strong/able enough to push a 50lb bike without assistance there's fuck all smart about continually faffing about changing gears in situ until you find the one that relates best to your walking speed only to hold walk assist and find that within 10 steps gears require changing again.
it's probably quite a nice feature if you're not.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Quite a lot to like about this new cotic.

Going internal with batteries was always a bad idea in my humble opinion. External may look ungainly but way easier to live with.

Can’t say much about the rest of it as I’ve not ridden the new shimano motor, and steel is kind of a subjective choice, but the overall package ticks a lot of boxes for me (no internal brake cabling, easy to access battery, doesn’t look like a spaceship)
I was just drafting a post about that bike. I read through the comments and found out cotic had tried a internal battery with aluminum tubing and it ended up being 2kg (4.4lb in freedom unites) heavier than the steel version they went with. Added benefits of using an external battery is you can effectively have a lightweight and full power ebike depending on which battery you strap on.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My old Alu external battery ESommet is still lighter than pretty much every modern internal battery full powered carbon framed Emtb.
The main two reasons external battery EMTBs aren't really made anymore:
Punters think they "look" ugly. Seriously? it's a bike. they're all kinda ugly
Punters think it makes the bike "look" like an Ebike. FFS it IS an Ebike you delusional twat!

internal battery Emtbs are generally heavier AND weaker, MOAR expensive and a moar of a PITA to swap batteries. Where's Keith when you need him to come up with some stupid new rule of 3?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Quite a lot to like about this new cotic.
Not really if you look at the price. Particualrly frame.

Cy has always done a great job at blowing his own trumpet about his engineering achievements.
1kg lighter here, 2kg lighter there... But apparently no need to mention of it's actual fucking weight?

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Not really if you look at the price. Particualrly frame.
In a continuation of doing things differently, Cotic will be offering the Rocket eMTB as a frameset with Cane Creek DB Air In-line shock and Shimano EP801 motor with XT cranks and chainring for £6,350 - with the 418 Wh battery. With the 504Wh it's +£80, and with the 630Wh it's +£240. Extra batteries go for £519, £599, £759, respectively.
similar to specialized, you buy into the warranty

Cy has always great job at blowing his own trumpet about his engineering achievements.
1kg lighter here, 2kg lighter there... But apparently no need to mention of it's actual fucking weight?
Claimed weight: 21.5 kg (C5 Prototype with 418 Wh battery

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Settling back on the idea of a steel frame with an external battery, Cy set out to make a bike that was a fair bit lighter, with a slightly reduced battery capacity, while still offering the full-powered eMTB experience. 21.5 kg (47.4 lb) is the claimed weight of the C5 prototype he is now running; it is complete with a 418 Wh battery, an aluminum finishing kit, WTB wheels, Magura MT7 brakes with 200mm rotors, Maxxis EXO+ casing tires and a RockShox Lyrik fork. The production bikes will be very similar to the prototypes pictured throughout - only the swingarm will be updated with "a smoother looking part with UDH and disc rotor speed sensor, not the wheel magnet version shown on these photos."
The next rung up the ladder is the Platinum build kit, retailing at £10,999. That one gets Fox Factory suspension components, Reserve wheels, a Shimano Deore XT Di2 Linkglide electronic drivetrain with Autoshift and Freeshift capabilities, a Hope finishing kit, brakes and Maxxis tires. Claimed weight for a C2 frame with the Shimano Linkglide drivetrain, heavier wheels and brakes, a Cane Creek Coil IL, Rockshox Zeb and a 630Wh battery is 23 kg.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
That's exactly what I said 4 months ago. 13 speed also.
It could just be a 12 speed microspline linkglide cassette? Shimano XT M8150 already does all those things, there's just not a 12 speed linkglide cassette yet.

EDIT: I forgot there is already an 11 speed Linkglide Microspline cassette, that's probably what they are using if it's not unreleased shimano goodies.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Didn’t see that Seth had already posted the build kit in question above.
I like that you can ditch the battery and still have a serviceable bike. Traveling with batteries is a hassle, not all trails allow e-bikes, whilst those aren’t a good enough reason alone to make someone chose this over a different brand (they aren’t cheap certainly) it does help.

I’d be interested to see how the little rear shock holds up. Looks to be pretty short stroke to make space for the motor and battery placement.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Although a removing the external battery does help make an Ebike ride closer to how a normal bike rides you probably won't do that very often at all. I have. And my Emtb is a good bit lighter than that cotic But I'd ALWAYS have preferred to just be on one if my normal bikes.