Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It takes some muscle movement to make shapes on an ebike!
It really doesn't take all that much more effort than a regular bike.
If you're stylish on a normal bike you'll quickly figure out the subtle nuances required to still ride stylishly on an Eeb.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Some people can throw around heavy bikes like nuthin. This video makes me laugh and they are both extremely fast on any bike. Raph on the trials bike and Vinny on a Genius ebike in Morigins.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It really doesn't take all that much more effort than a regular bike.
If you're stylish on a normal bike you'll quickly figure out the subtle nuances required to still ride stylishly on an Eeb.
Well I suppose if you lift haggis all day for a living. Sure. But for us corporate IT monkeys, I can definitely tell the difference from a sub 30lb bike to a 50lb+ bike. But I'm also using Freedom Units. So that may not translate :D

And yeah, I agree, you just kinda get used to that heavier weight feeling. Which means (at least for me) you gotta plan things a bit more in advance or you're just going to do a straight air type of thing. For me, that's a "dead sailor" LOL!

In skiing we call it a "salad shooter" don't ask

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
gotta plan things a bit more in advance
In reality it's not much different than the difference in preload effort/timing required when switching from flats to clips.
Any "stylish" move needs fluidity, good coordination and timing way MOAR than hulk strength. Whatever the bike.

Also WTF has a sub 30lb trail bike these days?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Any hardtail. Or if you really want to get into it. Any "downcountry" (aka XC) bike with skinny tires that are ready to explode at any moment.

These bikes are out there. They are not cheap. I have one. It's kinda cool. For me I have a SC Chameleon. And an old school Blur. But I only use it for certain rides. Otherwise its the trail bike (Ibis Ripmo). Or the eeb (Commie TR which is like a million pounds heavier than all the other bikes). Depends.

I guess point being going from one bike to the other and trying to adjust your riding style sometimes takes time. Like there's a certain trail I like to do and you can double up certain features on one bike, no problem. On the other, you're like oh shit, shoulda pulled up more on that :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I remember the times when enduro bikes were below that and were the true all around bike. My Tracer 2 is in that ballpark w/o crazy light stuff on it. I would need burlier tires for riding somewhere more rocky, but that would only add 1 kg max.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I remember the times when enduro bikes were below that and were the true all around bike. My Tracer 2 is in that ballpark w/o crazy light stuff on it. I would need burlier tires for riding somewhere more rocky, but that would only add 1 kg max.
I remember that era too.
26" wheels with skinny rims and light casing tires
32mm fork with 150mm of travel stiffened by a 15mm thru axle
10 speed drivetrain
No dropper
Screenshot_20221222_082217_OneDrive.jpg

I am not really looking back honestly, even if I had a blast back then

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I remember that era too.
26" wheels with skinny rims and light casing tires
32mm fork with 150mm of travel stiffened by a 15mm thru axle
10 speed drivetrain
No dropper
View attachment 186643
I am not really looking back honestly, even if I had a blast back then
You did something wrong then. ;)

My Tracer has a 160 mm Pike, i23 rims, Exo tires (this is why I wrote that this needs an upgrade for rocky terrain), XX1 group, R1R brakes, Reverb and is 13.8-ish kg.

Still rides pretty good, would need to drop the BB 10 mm to be perfect IMO.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My old 275 Capra is bang on 30lb*. But that's a carbon frame with 11spd (lighter), fairly light high end 26" wheels and EXO tyres. (Lyrik and flows so not noodly or skinny rimmed)
Most modern 29" FS trail bikes are a good few pounds heavier. many over 34lb*. Even carbon framed models.
Which was the point of my "rhetorical" question.

*not dumb no pedals weights either

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Any hardtail.
Nope. Most modern 130-150mm fork 29 (trail) hardtails are actually over 30lb these days. (with pedals) 30lb+ has kinda become the normal weight for all "trail" mtbs nowadays. With the mainstream mtb media commonly (wrongly) citing extra weight as inconsequential for trail riding.
Not sure why you felt the need to bring up the obvious point that XC bikes are lighter. But yes. Yes they are.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
You did something wrong then. ;)
Yes, I cracked the frame... :bonk:
On the replacement I went full enduro with Saint brakes, dropper, shock with piggy back, Pike and burlier tires.
Then the temptation for bigger wheels got me. Twice actually :rofl:
Screenshot_20221222_090328_OneDrive.jpg

Still rides pretty good, would need to drop the BB 10 mm to be perfect IMO.
I actually had an offset bushing on the first Zesty. Maybe you can get one for your Intense too?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I actually had an offset bushing on the first Zesty. Maybe you can get one for your Intense too?
Sadly no, the bridge between the seat stays would hit the main frame under full compression. I have the 27.5 dropouts for it already, but they disappointingly only drop it by 5 mm. I have plans on fabbing different dropouts, but in contrast to @buckoW I have a job. :disgust: ;)

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Sadly no, the bridge between the seat stays would hit the main frame under full compression. I have the 27.5 dropouts for it already, but they disappointingly only drop it by 5 mm. I have plans on fabbing different dropouts, but in contrast to @buckoW I have a job. :disgust: ;)
Oh, I'm pretty sure Ben has a job as well, but the right one

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Some people can throw around heavy bikes like nuthin. This video makes me laugh and they are both extremely fast on any bike. Raph on the trials bike and Vinny on a Genius ebike in Morigins.
Does this mean we will soon see e-bike specific training programmes pop up? ;)

Btw. I forgot to ask. Do you own an e-bike Ben? It always made waay more sense for my friends who live in the mountains as it offers so much freedom.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Does this mean we will soon see e-bike specific training programmes pop up? ;)
soon?
Personal trainers/coaches have been pushing training plans for e biking for at least three years here.
Mtb = golf / skiing NAO

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
soon?
Personal trainers/coaches have been pushing training plans for e biking for at least three years here.
Mtb = golf / skiing NAO
We have a rather small and shit personal training scene here and Poles tend to avoid trainers and instructors since "they know better" (oh how I not miss my snowboard instructor days)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
my point was... Polish personal trainers actually do get work here BECAUSE it's NOT Poland.

I wouldn't dream of likening UK culture to any other.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
my point was... Polish personal trainers actually do get work here BECAUSE it's NOT Poland.

I wouldn't dream of likening UK culture to any other.
I'd assume a large part of them simply started their PT careers already in UK and you see Polish PT's just because you see many Poles in the UK.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
There was heatwave warning today, went for a ride at lunch time and got passed by a dude on a 20" wheeled ebike, he was wearing a jacket and tracksuit pants.
Jerk pedalled past me then stopped pedalling and cruised off in to the distance.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There was heatwave warning today, went for a ride at lunch time and got passed by a dude on a 20" wheeled ebike, he was wearing a jacket and tracksuit pants.
Jerk pedalled past me then stopped pedalling and cruised off in to the distance.
How fucking awful for you

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lol. evey one of my bikes (all 3 or 4 of them, all coiled and overforked) over the past 15 years has weighed around 34#. the difference? my shit breaks a whole lot less now.

back on topic. fuck ebikes!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
lol. evey one of my bikes (all 3 or 4 of them, all coiled and overforked) over the past 15 years has weighed around 34#. the difference? my shit breaks a whole lot less now.

back on topic. fuck ebikes!
If you just got that stem that was like 50 grams lighter....:D

Bro. You need and eeb!

Axtually, I need to ride my eeb more. Dare me to ride it to the Beer Store for Organically, Locally Grown, Brew?

It's a little snowy out, but I'm willing to take the challenge. @sbabuser @Nick @Full Trucker you with me? You guys coming up north any time soon?

It's warming up and drying up now. Hmmm....Haven't even considered doing this in the summer time...Comedy could ensue...an easy ride would be to All Types of Beer for All Types of People - High Hops Brewery -