Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wait, are you guys talking about Analog bikes VS. E-bikes again?
A family was riding today and their two boys got out front then stopped for a drink, one stopped in the middle of the track and chatted to us.
The mum gave him a firm "You never stop in the middle of a track!" then dad backed it up. I told her she should get him an E-Bike coz that would make it okay, she agreed and said that is exactly what they do, hahaha!

I love double standards and hating on E-bikes for no logical reason, fuck E-Bikes to hell!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You're clearly responsible for the top part of the infrastructure stack :D
I deal with it all :D

But I'm at the business level, we have esx hosts running inside of our manufacturing facilities and that's what I deal with; not the data center level stuff.

I just completed a project, replacing our old junk. Finally in the modern world of ssd storage. :rofl:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I deal with it all :D

But I'm at the business level, we have esx hosts running inside of our manufacturing facilities and that's what I deal with; not the data center level stuff.

I just completed a project, replacing our old junk. Finally in the modern world of ssd storage. :rofl:
All of our SCADA servers are virtualised and running on hosts. I used to prefer non-virtualised stuff, but gotta admit this way has been flawless for panic recovery when we lose a host or something.

Not as much a fan of the virtualised Engineering machines. My programming laptop has like 6 VMs for different PLC/VSD software packages and its such a prick to work with when I'm in the field. A lot of that is probably due to the office lads being half-arsed with the VM developments (I swear I'm not a victim of software counterfeiting Microsoft, stop asking) but just for multiple connections its a hassle.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
So most of you guys have been dealing with VMWare in terms of enterprise level virtualization. I have to admit they own their shit. I have been involved in three DR testing situations and a real one, and SRM saved our butts in the blink of an eye. Cloud providers have been nice to me in that regard too.

Dealing with IBM POWER infrastructure is a whole different league. If you have half-assed architects (most of them come from Windows/VMware and have just a couple of lousy courses on POWER on their pockets) or cheap customers, shuffling workloads around isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You guys need me to write a User Story for that? That's pretty much all I can do...

:D
Last year my boss gave me shit because he wanted me to have more detail in my user stories. I reminded him that I had been working for two years on the feature/capability or whatever he gave me that was a single incomplete sentence.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Last year my boss gave me shit because he wanted me to have more detail in my user stories. I reminded him that I had been working for two years on the feature/capability or whatever he gave me that was a single incomplete sentence.
Yep, that's my world :) Welcome to telecom. Although the incomplete sentences usually come from the business. And the boss is like "where you at on that?" LOL

Fuk Jira and SAFe too

There, I said it

:D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Welcome to telecom
:fie:

When I hear this, the first thing that always jumps into my head, is the rats nest hiding in the closet at every building I've been to. Something like this;

And its all voodoo. Some wires go here, others go there, some go to both? Somehow there is even less documentation than general IT stuff - usually it literally consists of sticky notes and sharpie.

Thank god we've moved on from that stuff, but the mess is still hiding there in the closet... :panic:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Do the eebs get firmware updates and stuff? Can you brick one by glitching an update? I swear half the reason I don't have one isn't the cost, its that I'd be tempted to mod it and break it. Also, after work the last friggen thing I want is more electronic crap.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Do the eebs get firmware updates and stuff? Can you brick one by glitching an update? I swear half the reason I don't have one isn't the cost, its that I'd be tempted to mod it and break it. Also, after work the last friggen thing I want is more electronic crap.
I dunno. I just chip em and then ride them. Btw, they sell very easily if you don’t end up liking it.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Yep you can, I bricked the motor on my Orbea rise by updating the firmware via the cellphone and bluetooth.... dropped the connectiuon partway thru and had to get Shimano to come into the shop and unbrick it as the dealer login didn't have enough access to do it.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Sold the rise last month and am replacing it with a bosch powered unit as;
A/ the new bike has better geo
B/ I am sick of dealing with Shimano and their shit backup & support bullshit (average wait time for customers that had their Shimano motor die was 6 months to get a new one, Bosch will have it fixed inside a week)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, I've asked EMBN to do more coverage on this topic. It depends on what system you have. I have Shimano EP8, not a whole lot of adjustability there with the app. Then there's Specialized Bros, seems more modifiable. Bosch seems a bit better...

But really, it's not like a smart phone. At least at this point. It would be nice to adjust things. Personally, I'm a slow crank grinder, I'm old school. I'd like to see the assist more powerful at lower rpms. Shouldn't I be able to adjust for that? Not everyone likes to spin cranks like a tour de france wannabe.

Similarly, the "over run" (or whatever it is called when you stop pedalling but the motor keeps going for a bit). Shouldn't that be adjustable? I know we're talking fractions of seconds, but still. It's just software.

I assume we'll get there. But for now, just get yourself one. You won't be disappointed. Heck, I'll even buy one for you and ship it to Aussie Town for ya just so you don't get dinged on your kangaroo dollar! That's how much I believe in them!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd like to see the assist more powerful at lower rpms. Shouldn't I be able to adjust for that?
At a certain point this is just a limitation of the motor. Can't put out more torque than its max, and power is determined by how its windings lead to that torque falling off with rising motor rpms.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd like to see the assist more powerful at lower rpms.
This just makes the bike feel more like it has a throttle.
The one thing I prefer about Shimano motors is that they feel far more natural to pedal than all their more Torquey competitors.
Ultimately I want my Ebike to feel more like a bicycle though.
Simply learning to use appropriate gearing and leg strength (same as a normal bike) on the steepest climbs and the lower assistance torque delivered (relative to say a Bosch or brose motor) at very low cadences isn't really an issue at all.. except maybe for the gong show that is Emtb uphill enduro racing.
If I have one slight niggle with how the motor delivers assistance it would be it actually drops off markedly at around 110-120rpm but I'm kind of a freak in that I comfortably spin at cadences well above that on the flat and can do for ages.hardly a deal breaker though.

Not an interesting IT story. So sorry about that.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I dunno. I just chip em and then ride them. Btw, they sell very easily if you don’t end up liking it.
Yesterday doing pedal laps on the Mega I got passed by a guy climbing on an e-bike who must have been doing 35kph easy. Bike was actually fishtailing out of a turn on a climb and he had to brake coming into the switchbacks. Wild. Next lap he passed me again and some other dudes on Focus e-bikes who were climbing at the same time. Even compared to the other e-bikes he was passing them like they were standing still and his motor was screaming.

I'd say he was averaging three, maybe even four laps for each of mine hahha. Absolutely slaying it. The other e-bikers were saying how guys like that give them all a bad name but I don't think he gave two shits. Was pretty much a pedal activated motorbike. I dunno what chip he was running, but by the sounds of the motor surely thats gotta chew the gearbox up super quick? Do those things overheat? I didn't even know the motors were that powerful unlocked.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Might have been something like a Bafang Ultra. Probably can't get that level of power from a Shimano/Brose/Bosch normal unit, but the Bafangs and the like don't have torque sensing, or if they do it's crappy afaik.

I like a natural feeling e-mtb as Gary does.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Interesting. Were you able to see the brand of bike? Could you tell if it was a typical mid-drive motor set up or some kind of aftermarket thing, like Kranked?

If I'm not mistaken the Focus bikes are on the lighter/relatively low power end of things, so they may seem slow compared to something with full power in Boost/Turbo mode. Also, 35 kph is pretty close to the 20 mph you can get with most full powered e-bikes these days. It may have just been eye opening due to relative speed differences.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Interesting. Were you able to see the brand of bike? Could you tell if it was a typical mid-drive motor set up or some kind of aftermarket thing, like Kranked?

If I'm not mistaken the Focus bikes are on the lighter/relatively low power end of things, so they may seem slow compared to something with full power in Boost/Turbo mode. Also, 35 kph is pretty close to the 20 mph you can get with most full powered e-bikes these days. It may have just been eye opening due to relative speed differences.
Oh nah, a few of my mates have ebikes now and this thing was chipped/unlocked. E-bikes here are restricted to 25kph by law. I think it was a Speshy Turbo Levo but it rode like a Honda XR haha. Was hard to see. Old mate went through at least one battery in 90 minutes because he went back to the car to change battery and return

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

kinda disappointed, was hoping for more travel and dual crown compatibility :/

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Screenshot_20230131-161451-516.png

Straight into the "This is what's wrong..." thread

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Pretty rad being able to use it as a normal bike as well. A big hurdle for a few people I know, myself included is how hard it is for air travel with an e-bike