Quantcast

Bootleg fun! lots o' pictures!

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Had an awesome day of riding/photo-ing yesterday at the ol' BC! got a new lens recently (100mm f/2 for those interested) and am learning much more my camera, as well as that its awfully difficult to take pictures of people moving fast, and getting them in focus with a wide open aperature.. so there are a few photo's that are a bit uhh blurrier than i hoped..
anyway, i had a blast, met some awesome people (Downhill Mike, Matt and Kendall from Boulder) so enjoy the pics! and please feel free to comment, make fun of, or give any useful or not tips about photo-ing!
Bootleg!

unkown rider on one of the little bridge drops

'nother

whip in the distance

artsy? haha

Sequence of Matt pinning the road gap near the bathrooms

another 2 of the same road gap... i wish i had focused on him not the hill behind!:poster_oops:

more of Matt pinning it

a little sideways camera-drift-action

attack!

i think both wheels broke free on this one

thanks again to matt for letting me take so many pictures of him.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Sweet shots! Especially the last one.

I don't know much about photo, but I did notice that your shots aren't always cropped in very tight. If you pulled in tighter to the subject, there'd be less chance for other things to attract the autofocus. Maybe?

Although, "more of matt pinning it" is a great shot, too.

I've had horrid luck with a very similar lens, manual focus only, attempting to get a shallow dof effect with mtb shots. It's tough!

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
thanks on the "pinning it" i really like it. the last shot i think is the best "action" i got tho.
i tried getting in closer to get a tighter frame, but i had a hard time finding the right in between of getting a good frame where you could see everything + scale of the jump/drop and then just being in too close - although i probably should've tried to get some closer shots to see how that came out. i just gotta keep trying stuff :) i'm really happy with the lens, and i think that since it doesnt zoom it'll help me learn how to see the shot i wanna get a bit better. making me move and be less stagnant..
thanks for the input!

Sweet shots! Especially the last one.

I don't know much about photo, but I did notice that your shots aren't always cropped in very tight. If you pulled in tighter to the subject, there'd be less chance for other things to attract the autofocus. Maybe?

Although, "more of matt pinning it" is a great shot, too.

I've had horrid luck with a very similar lens, manual focus only, attempting to get a shallow dof effect with mtb shots. It's tough!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
... it doesnt zoom ...
Woah. :shocked: That seems like it'd be way hard to get tightly framed MTB shots!

Oh yeah, a lot of your shots are ass view or side view, you might think about getting more frontals next time. "Pinning it" is a frontal, and IMO that's what makes it so good. Just an observation!

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Woah. :shocked: That seems like it'd be way hard to get tightly framed MTB shots!

Oh yeah, a lot of your shots are ass view or side view, you might think about getting more frontals next time. "Pinning it" is a frontal, and IMO that's what makes it so good. Just an observation!
oh i definitely agree. i tried a bunch of more straight on shots but kept biffing them real good :) there are a ton of shots on my computer of a very nicely focused part of the hill with a blurry-ish rider in the way ;)

i'm hoping that having a non-zoom will help me learn more about seeing the shots i want to take, and making me move around to see what positioning/angles i personally like best, because it'll make me move around.

Wadsworth

Chimp
Apr 9, 2007
I think "Pinning It" is the best. Great depth of field. Color looks nice too. On your blurrier shots, try focusing where you think the rider is going to be. Try using a remote flash as well. I know the more gear you carry the more cumbersome the pack gets. But hey, at least you'll get some good shots. Some of those shots are really promising. :thumb: