Quantcast

Boozeday

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Working. Tired. Wifey decided to have a Memorial Day get together (with our immediate neighbors that we have isolated to) without telling me until just before. I was busy cutting drywall and trying to run speaker wire when they showed up. We had to push the contractor start by a day because I didn't finish yesterday due to that interruption and MIL related delays. Won't be done with work until 4pm and have to run wiring for 5 speakers, move the coax, and cat5 lines across the room. I keep finding more and more blockades changing my routing plans as I go, so I have to keep starting over again. My patience is running thin...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Talking with a guy on PB about this beaut right now:
Looks spiffy.

Although I will say I would never willingly ride a trail bike again, especially a hardtail, without a dropper post. Nothing like hitting a bump and having the seat pummel your grundle as it launches you OTB.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here. Working. Tired. Wifey decided to have a Memorial Day get together (with our immediate neighbors that we have isolated to) without telling me until just before. I was busy cutting drywall and trying to run speaker wire when they showed up. We had to push the contractor start by a day because I didn't finish yesterday due to that interruption and MIL related delays. Won't be done with work until 4pm and have to run wiring for 5 speakers, move the coax, and cat5 lines across the room. I keep finding more and more blockades changing my routing plans as I go, so I have to keep starting over again. My patience is running thin...
you should have just kept working. don't make her problems your problems.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks spiffy.

Although I will say I would never willingly ride a trail bike again, especially a hardtail, without a dropper post. Nothing like hitting a bump and having the seat pummel your grundle as it launches you OTB.
As someone who has only ridden a hardtail for the past two months, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Dropper + Cushcore is a game changer for a hardtail.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I want spring and fall back.
Going from freezing and snow to 90 and humid in a bit over a week is just not right. I do not do well with rapid temperature changes - plays bloody havoc with me head.

Gotta cut the lawn again tonight - that will be 3 times in the last week.

Hopefully a good night sleep and if my head plays nice then - AM bike ride!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I don’t really mind shipping smaller/lower value items abroad, but a (previously) expensive bike? Too much to go wrong at an extraordinary shipping cost, IMO. Expensive to adequately insure against any eventuality.
In the interest of full disclosure - I try not to list international with on items over 4LBS, if something does go wring I want to handle it myself through USPS. DHL is too much work from my location. Probably more so for you.

I am also not a fan of selling bikes on-line, how many times have you heard "I just bought a used bike off eBay, when I got it I found scratches on the stanchions and paint chips near the bottom bracket. Now way is this bike worth what I paid."

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Looks spiffy.

the trails I ride aren’t too crazy. No real big drops or anything. Here's all the specs. Looks like I can get a dropper post for it since it appears to be a 30.9 dia post.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am also not a fan of selling bikes on-line, how many times have you heard "I just bought a used bike off eBay, when I got it I found scratches on the stanchions and paint chips near the bottom bracket. Now way is this bike worth what I paid."
@HAB once bought a road bike that was listed as the wrong size

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
@HAB once bought a road bike that was listed as the wrong size
Seller was a giant douche about it too. Tried to tell me he'd already spent the money and couldn't give me a refund. I eventually got PayPal to settle it, but it was a massive PITA.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not sure how current your ride is, but things have progressed quite a bit over the last 5 years. I've been riding my old school hardtail for the past month while my current's era big bike is down, and you'll appreciate the drivetrain advances.
Yeah! Things like Boost, Super boost, Plus sized tires, and...12 speed drivetrains with proprietary hubs have all come out! Truly revolutionary times.

Call me scrooge but the industry realized they were making good bikes around 2013-2017, then started trying to find reasons to force people to buy new bikes. I struggle to find a good reason to upgrade any part of my bike besides the tires right now...and it's a 2015

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah! Things like Boost, Super boost, Plus sized tires, and...12 speed drivetrains with proprietary hubs have all come out! Truly revolutionary times.

Call me scrooge but the industry realized they were making good bikes around 2013-2017, then started trying to find reasons to force people to buy new bikes. I struggle to find a good reason to upgrade any part of my bike besides the tires right now...and it's a 2015
OK Roadie.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

more like Scrooge McDerp

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The wife and I have been getting things to go from local joints, but I am not feeling a sit down experience with a mask. It seems like more effort than it's worth.
a lady in ohio enclosed all the booths in her dining establishment in clear shower curtains....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dude....your head.

take a break before it pops.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what did i eat....my asshole sounds like a shitty kirk hammet guitar solo....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Okay, scrooge.

While I concur the evolution of a lot of the standards is mere trumpery, there are tangible benefits to be had. I happen to enjoy the proliferation of drivetrains with more speeds, rear derailleurs with clutches, narrow/wide chainrings, more reliable dropper posts, and the trickle down of technology to lower groupings.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

If you have a good bike from that era how are they forcing you to buy new ones? All the old standards are readily available and at rather nice prices.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Would you buy a bike unseen with a wire transfer, and no protection against the item being damaged or not as described? I don’t know anyone who would in this day and age. PP is a little pricey, but it protects both the buyer and the seller.
Depends on how communication with seller is, but those were my terms when selling my Nomad to canada and my V10 to germany.
Neither balked.
Lots of documentation (photos, original receipts, photos from shop that packed it etc), insured by Bike Flights once out of my hands etc.
German dude even bought a bunch of parts and shipped them to my house to include with the bike.
These were both Pinkbike sales.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you have a good bike from that era how are they forcing you to buy new ones? All the old standards are readily available and at rather nice prices.
Seriously, my $1200 Fox I stole off eBay for $250 would agree. Straight tube 26 is a limited market.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
dude....your head.

take a break before it pops.
I got the speaker wires mostly run at this point. I'm going to pull two of the old lines back and route them via the new wire path, so I need to go through the fishing wire process again for a bit, but the main new lines are done. I'm deciding how best to drop the lines from the ceiling to the cabinets, as I'd prefer to keep them in the walls. I might just say 'fuck it' and run two smurf tubes from the ceiling to the built-in's counter, as they will be hidden behind the faceplate of the shelves, and have them drop in from the top. I'd prefer to have them come out of a box, but sometimes you just gotta take what you can. Actually... thinking about it, I can mount the box into the underside of the counter; it doesn't matter if it pops through because it's hidden.

Thank you for making me think this out loud.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My roadie is a 1999 Serotta that was rebuilt with Chorus 10 about 20 years ago. Weight reduction would be the only advantage, easier for me to lose weight than justify a new bike.
Ti or steel? Any chance to post a picture?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Given the title of the thread, I thought I'd cross-post this here.

hot AF & threatening rain. oh wait. nope. just rained. now it's sunny and gross again.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Come on - he recently took a vacation to California... he should be rested and refreshed! :D
i know i seem like a ass a hundred percent of the time but i never want to read about him stroking out.....

or any bad shit about anyone.