Quantcast

Borked search

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If it is broken and needs fixing, can I petition to have the default results be based on newest first? Rather than relevance, which seems to just show me stuff from 10 years ago, rather than the thread from last week I'm generally hunting for.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I disabled enhanced search because it was causing the page to fail to refresh every time anyone posted something. It reverted back to the old style search which should still function, but it looks like it's not happy. I'm rebuilding the search index to see if that solves it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The indexes are rebuilt and it looks like the searches are happy now. The non-enhanced search is pretty mediocre but it'll work for the time being.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
How do the search indices work?
Caveat: I am not a database wizard.

My understanding is that SQL is poorly optimized for searching partial text within certain fields - e.g. finding the word "payload" inside each posts' contents. If the entire post were the word "payload" it wouldn't be a problem because it's fast to match an entire field, but that's not the case when searching a forum.

Building the search indexes create a full text index which is built against the individual words of the posts, which can be searched much faster.

Any more details than that and I'll have to call my database architect buddy to explain it to me before I relay it to you :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Has Search changed slightly? I don't seem to remember it omitting two and three letter words from the results.
In saying that, I am not all that observant.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah it is definitely fubar'd. I'm searching for something which I know exists, but no results found or a limited selection of old bogus hits.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Caches rebuilt. Seems like user post histories are returned successfully now. Let me know if anything else looks broken.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seems to be working better for me. I was looking for my smart watch thread, search didn't find it...now it finds it. Though it works with "smart watch" and not "smartwatch". Not sure if the function is just not smart enough to differentiate.