Quantcast

BOS Idylle - any real world reviews?

slowracer

Chimp
May 14, 2006
Hey guys, anyone been on the Idylle long enough for a decent review/comments? Seems that there are no info at all and the searches didnt come up with anything either...

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Been using it for last couple of months. Just long enough for it to be finally broken in. Had to put in a heavier spring after that. Basically it feels like a Fox 40 but smoother, with compression/rebound controls that work well. No problems with stiction so far. Maybe someone who has been using it longer can comment.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
If the fork someday gets a "real world" price tag, there will be a lot of unbaised reviews, same happens with the dorado...

fmorgan683

Chimp
Apr 15, 2009
Look in Dirtmag November edition , My Antidote is been tested my Jonesy ,it has BOS all over it , we also did a tuning day with Bos to set the Antidote for Steve jones weight and style .see if that hepls when it comes out ..

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
How about somebody stun the world with the real world weight of that bad boy. I had one in my hands and I'm no weight scale, but my guess is in the 8 lb range. That's if you count silly things like steerer tubes and top crowns.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
I've had it since may and been riding 3-4 days a week on average and I'm so stoked on it. The first weeks it felt good but not perfect but after a bit of break-in time it turned into the best fork I've ever tried. Plush, stiff and no problems what so ever.

By now six of my riding buddies has bought one after trying mine and a few more are waiting for theirs, including my girlfriend. I have decided to switch my RC4 to the BOS Stoy in the rear since I'm so happy with the fork.

This weekend I taped a helmetcam to the fork to see how it worked and I was surprised by the result, the only time the front wheel left the ground was on the jumps which to me seems too good to be true almost. If you buy one, you will be happy, just allowe it to break in. I'm riding the basic Idylle and see no reason to buy the RaRe or Pro.

slowracer

Chimp
May 14, 2006
ridealot, do your seals fell a bit sticky? The one that i rode felt sticky at the carpark but didnt notice it while riding on the trails... What was your previous fork and how do they compare? i really like the fact that the fork rode high in its travel but not as harsh as the 40 at high LS comp setting..

patan-dh, over here 2010 boxxer wc, fox40 and idylle cost almost the same, so i'm trying to compare apples to apples ;-)

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
From what i understand from people i know with them, they just get better and better, and when you are truly hammering them on savage tracks, they are absolutely in their element and nothing else compares.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I've had it since may and been riding 3-4 days a week on average and I'm so stoked on it. The first weeks it felt good but not perfect but after a bit of break-in time it turned into the best fork I've ever tried. Plush, stiff and no problems what so ever.

By now six of my riding buddies has bought one after trying mine and a few more are waiting for theirs, including my girlfriend. I have decided to switch my RC4 to the BOS Stoy in the rear since I'm so happy with the fork.

This weekend I taped a helmetcam to the fork to see how it worked and I was surprised by the result, the only time the front wheel left the ground was on the jumps which to me seems too good to be true almost. If you buy one, you will be happy, just allowe it to break in. I'm riding the basic Idylle and see no reason to buy the RaRe or Pro.
did you weigh it? im interested in the weight too.

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
ridealot, do your seals fell a bit sticky? The one that i rode felt sticky at the carpark but didnt notice it while riding on the trails... What was your previous fork and how do they compare? i really like the fact that the fork rode high in its travel but not as harsh as the 40 at high LS comp setting..
Yes, you feel it a bit sticky, but it's just an extra-low-speed damping. If Bos has the same damping as the other brands you don't feel nothing. It's for that you don't feel it when you ride ;)
The weight of my Idylle is 7,24 (3kg280) with 220mm steerer and rubbers. It's more than other forks but the offset is pretty different and the fork feel lighter for this and because she don't dive so much :thumb:

Albion

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
My idylle was 3240 grams, cut steerer with starnut.
As above, the "carpark" sticky feel is probably not the seals, it's the low-speed damping.
It "opens up" when you ride it, so that why you did not feel anything on the trails.

That said, it has some stiction in the beginning, but after a few times at the bikepark it's all buttersmooth. Service-intervall in the manual: amateur-rider once every second year, pro-rider once a year!!

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
It was a little sticky in the beginning, only noticed in the carpark though. But now it's like a hot knife through butter. As for other forks I have ridden pretty much everything from Junior T's to 2010 Boxxers. A few weeks ago I had to ride a ´09 boxxer race for a day (didn't have my bike) and I couldn't believe how unresponsive it felt in comparison. Brakebumps that I didn't notice before went straight up my arms. That was a short day. Yes, the Idylle is heavier than the Boxxer but I rather save weight in other places.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
I haven't noticed any. Will check this weekend though.
Why would the single crown give that feeling? I thought it was the same fork only 180mm and single crown. Shouldn't really affect the bushings.

slowracer

Chimp
May 14, 2006
did one of you idylle riders noticed a little bushing play in your idylle? my n'dee has a little play, goes back to the distributor this month for checking
The one that I rode had bushing play on the spring side.. again, noticeable at the workshop/carpark but not while riding... i wonder if it's the same like the current 40s - some play at full extension but none when compressed...

timo12

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
hey guys..

is everything here in the thread about the rare modell?

when i buy the idylle rare aftermarket, are replacement springs included. like at the 2010 boxxers or fox 40s.
oke, got out that there are two springs that come with the fork, one harder one softer.

has anyone done a service by himself?!

thanks

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The BOS stuff might perform fantastic. It might even sing and dance and make pancakes. Doesn't mean anything if you can't even get a response from the manufacturer.

I'm not just stirring up crap here. I own a BOS cartridge that I run in my 888 WC and I love the way it performs. Would I get another one if I had the opportunity? Hell no. I tried to get some replacement parts and advice from BOS for the last month and a half and have not been able to get a single response. Pathetic.

I seriously considered one of the BOS forks until I had to deal with that. Sorry guys!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The BOS stuff might perform fantastic. It might even sing and dance and make pancakes. Doesn't mean anything if you can't even get a response from the manufacturer.

I'm not just stirring up crap here. I own a BOS cartridge that I run in my 888 WC and I love the way it performs. Would I get another one if I had the opportunity? Hell no. I tried to get some replacement parts and advice from BOS for the last month and a half and have not been able to get a single response. Pathetic.

I seriously considered one of the BOS forks until I had to deal with that. Sorry guys!
You haven't been able to contact Diablo Freeride Park?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I talked to them, and they didn't have any parts for the 888 carts, or any experience with them. Those were well before they became a distributor. They pretty much said "good luck" in reference to getting any help from BOS directly.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I talked to them, and they didn't have any parts for the 888 carts, or any experience with them. Those were well before they became a distributor. They pretty much said "good luck" in reference to getting any help from BOS directly.
Damn that sucks. You gotta love the mediocrity that is the cycling industry...

I can full well understand there being difficulties contacting a manufacturer in any industry, but to have a distributor that can't help you or at least get you in contact is pretty pathetic.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Diablo was pretty cooperative, or at least as much as they could be. I got the idea they shared my frustration with BOS equally if not more. The contact info they had was the same as the info on the BOS website.

The worst part is that the thing DOES perform well. Very well. It's too bad they don't have a little better business sense.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Try TFtuned. I'm pretty sure they send parts to all Europe so they may send them to us and they seem really competent.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm just talking about the 888 cartridge. From what I can tell they're supporting the products they're selling - the new lineup.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
hey guys..

is everything here in the thread about the rare modell?

when i buy the idylle rare aftermarket, are replacement springs included. like at the 2010 boxxers or fox 40s.
oke, got out that there are two springs that come with the fork, one harder one softer.

has anyone done a service by himself?!

thanks
Idylle (not RARE) comes with 3 springs. If you need extra firm, you will need to order it. Diablo supposedly has mechanics trained (in France) in servicing the fork. I guess you can always ship it to TF Tuned (U.K.) as well. Manual has instructions on how to do it, but I haven't needed to do it yet.

timo12

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
thanks, I already found out!!

now i just want to know if the people here in the thread talk about the idylle or the idylle rare.. somebody, please?!

i don't know which to take or take a fox instead. the price for the normal idylle would be the same as for the fox. the idylle rare would cost about 400 euros more. is it worth it?

:)

Last edited:

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
hmmmm...i'm from BOS, and i haven't heard any story of this. I think we have some parts for your cartridge.

Send me PM and i give you my Email ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I was told that by someone. Is that totally false? Where should we get our BOS stuff serviced?
Do you really need to visit France to know how to service a fork? I know it's OMG-technology but seriously there are no little dwarves running around in the damper.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Do you really need to visit France to know how to service a fork? I know it's OMG-technology but seriously there are no little dwarves running around in the damper.
Where did I say you/shop "need to visit France to know how to service a fork?" I was relaying what someone associated with BOS told me at a trade show. Please stop putting words into my mouth.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Where did I say you/shop "need to visit France to know how to service a fork?" I was relaying what someone associated with BOS told me at a trade show. Please stop putting words into my mouth.
The "Where should we get our BOS stuff serviced?" sentence might mislead me. No bad intentions.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
The "Where should we get our BOS stuff serviced?" sentence might mislead me. No bad intentions.
That's cool. I was wondering in case my BOS fork and shock need new seals/parts or some serious work done on it (more than a simple oil change). I was told by someone associated with BOS that Diablo had BOS-trained mechanics, but like I said before if that is not the case, I was asking for advice.