Quantcast

Bos Idylle Rare Setup tips?

KMH

Chimp
Aug 10, 2012
From reading the French manual (thanks Google Translate) it seems the key thing they missed out in the English manual is that you start from the fully tightened/screwed in position.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
That manual would have been helpful a month ago when I was trying to sort it all out. But now that I've got it set up happily, I'm not gonna start messing with the settings.

Interesting that I'm supposed to bleed the air though.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Hey guys, I've got a little bit of a problem:
The red hex nut behind the "compression-setup-screws" can be turned in both ways. It doesn't get loose or tighter, but I am a little concerned. How canI tighten the footnut?
The fork isn't siffing and performance is good (yes I had already ridden the fork after service before I've seen the problem)
Can someone help me?

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
Hi!

I have problems to balance air chambers. In manual it says that I should compress fork 12 times 10mm so chambers would balance. In old manual it said that I should start from 90 psi and compress fork totally and add 10 psi and do it again until desired air pressure is correct. I have tried both ways and it wont work. Fork just came from service... Any tips or advices?

Thanks!

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Hey Spes, Just try it for longer. Build some pressure, bounce, 20 times, build some more, and again.
If that doesn't work there may be some grease in the dimple where the negative air equalizes.
If that is the case you may have to drop the lowers...

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Hey Spes, Just try it for longer. Build some pressure, bounce, 20 times, build some more, and again.
If that doesn't work there may be some grease in the dimple where the negative air equalizes.
If that is the case you may have to drop the lowers...
Your attitude towards them changed rather quickly, can we assume that you were working for / owned the last Australian distributor?

BOStralia or somesuch?

edit: Misquoted, I was reading the other bOS rare thread, and meant to quote the "Distributor of the month" bit ;)

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Your attitude towards them changed rather quickly
Not sure if you've ever had to deal with BOS France directly, but they are the rudest and most useless people ever. "Never admit fault, always blame the customer" seems to be their ethos. In the last BOS fork (Idylle coil) I worked on, I found they spec springs that are way smaller / lighter than acceptable (diameter and free length) which causes them to permanently deform and lose length. The preload adjuster could no longer take up the slack since the under-engineered spring had shrunk and it was rattling everywhere, I had to make up a custom spacer. The last shock (coil Stoy) I worked on was HSC spike central because they spec'd the wrong tune for the bike and didn't update it until 3 years later.

I hope the Air stuff is better, but to me those guys nail the winning combo of questionable product and terrible service. They've had rotations of distributors in most countries and I'm not surprised.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Ah, don't get me wrong... I have been on the receiving end, but all the stuff I've had form them have been so good, I've just learned to deal ;)

I'm just being nosey, wanting to hear what other people's experiences are. I'm still in the process of Emigrating to Aus, so when the time comes I might ditch my BOS equipment and get something else, if there's no support down under. (it's still relatively easy over here / close to Europe).

I cant bear the thought of running the woefully unreliable Rockshox products, and I've always hated the feel of Fox (how sh!t is the 34?!!). Marzocchi perhaps - will need to see.

Last edited:

LTwin86

Chimp
Jul 4, 2014
Hi! Did anybody find the best oil for Idylle Rare ? I plan to maintain my fork after dirty trails in Morzine, i would like to change oil by my self, but which oil is the best? Also, did anybody try to change oil in Void shock?

LTwin86

Chimp
Jul 4, 2014
Silokene 7.5wt
Thank you! I also still a little bit confused with compression adjusting. In manual they say: always start from fully closed position, closed position is that from fully anticlockwise??? When adjusting, i have to start from fully anticlockwise to clockwise? Is it right for Void and Stoy shocks? Because recommended rebound for my YT is 18 clicks from closed position, on such rebound suspension have a so slow rebound and Void shock works not good at slow rebound, they also recommend fast rebound for Void in the manual.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Start from fully closed (clockwise).

Be mindful that the highspeed compression knob is reverse threaded, so when you close it (clockwise), it turns out of the fork leg.

Since day 1, BOS has clockwise and anticlockwise confused.

Last edited:

LTwin86

Chimp
Jul 4, 2014
Start from fully closed (clockwise).

Be mindful that the highspeed compression knob is reverse threaded, so when you close it (clockwise), it turns out of the fork leg.

Since day 1, BOS has clockwise and anticlockwise confused.
And how could it be... It the manual, racing adjustment has more clicks from fully closed as compare with recreational use, that mean that fork will be more plush and soft. For racing use it must be harder, but if we follow the manual, it will be softer.
Also, if i will follow the manual, low compression has about 10 clicks, if i turn it from fully closed to recommended 10 clicks anticlockwise, low speed will be fully opened, i will have no low speed compression...

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
There's a lot more than just 10 clicks of LSC. Also the racing setting from memory, has harder HSC, which makes sense too.

The base settings work very well.

Last edited:

LTwin86

Chimp
Jul 4, 2014
There's a lot more than just 10 clicks of LSC. Also the racing setting from memory, has harder HSC, which makes sense too.

The base settings work very well.
Yes, it must be harder, but in manual it is 20 clicks from fully closed position and for recreational it is 15 clicks, that means that recreational is harder.:confused:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Yes, it must be harder, but in manual it is 20 clicks from fully closed position and for recreational it is 15 clicks, that means that recreational is harder.:confused:
Manual isn't free from errors so you know what to do.

I have my way to do is to set all clicks in middle (15). If manual says 18 then I set +3 toward harder/faster. Easy!

Last edited:

LTwin86

Chimp
Jul 4, 2014
Today changed oil to Motul 5W. Fork become super soft, i think too much, i have 210 psi in my air spring and it is still too soft, i think i will change it to 7,5W.Also a little bit confused about oil in the air spring. In the manual they tell to put 100 ml of oil to the air spring. But when i opened it was dense grease inside and no oil. I put some oil and find that air chambers are not balancing because air can't pass the oil. Again error in the manual?

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i had just assumed all air forks use that little pillow pack of oil for the air piston/chamber?

i can at least confirm fox and x fusion are same in that aspect.

MIkeMcC

Chimp
Sep 25, 2014
After doing an oil change on my idyll rare the rebound is very very slow and the compression is very soft, I used silkolene 7.5wt, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

MIkeMcC

Chimp
Sep 25, 2014
Oil level?
I think we are in discussion on 2 different forums here!!

Before I drained the old oil I measured the level and it matched the level in the manual, 110mm, just to be sure I also measured how much oil I drained out, 325ml, I replaced 325ml and it was also at 110mm. I did this with 5wt Maxima, 7.5wt Silkolene and 10wt Rockshox, all of them had very little compression damping, and although I am not sure how the rebound was with the 5wt, with the other two it was incredibly slow.

I was very careful in dismantling the forks and reassembling them, making sure everything was correct, I have redone this several times, balanced the air spring over and over, I made sure nothing had come adrift or loose in the cartridge, but the rebound it always really slow, if you put full rebound damping on it literally takes several seconds to come back, at fully open the rebound is probably as slow or slower than any other fork would be at fully closed.

The thing that concerns me is the heavier oil would obviously slow the rebound down, but at the same time improve the compression damping, so working off that, using lighter oil to get the rebound fast enough surely the compression damping would be very low.

Both BOS and Jungle tell me I can only use BOS Bi-Oil in the Idylle RaRe, although as someone said in this thread already its not made from fairy dust... I have bitten the bullet and bought some (£38) so I will see how I get on... Just hope I haven't had my pants pulled down.. I suppose at least I can go back to BOS/Jungle if they still respond the same with the BOS oil in.

MIkeMcC

Chimp
Sep 25, 2014
Ok, sorted it! The O ring had come off the plunger in the air spring, so it wasn't doing anything, hence very little compression damping and slow rebound... I found it in the top cap of the left leg it kinda looked like it should be there but then I thought that it wasn't doing anything! At least I have had a lot of practice changing the oil!! They are back to the lovely plushness that they were before, and I guess the fancy expensive oil can only make them feel better!!

pawcisq

Chimp
Aug 1, 2015
For people fat like me i have good info. I've contanted bos and they told me that i can pump idylle rare up to 250 psi without any hassle. I got it to 250 and still had around 35% sag. I am running now 295 psi and achieve 17.5% sag (35 mm) with a 120 + gear rider. I run hsc/lsc/rb 15 6 13 clicks from fully closed. i use almost all travel but last 15-20mm left for the hardest impacts. I could need a bit more fine tuning as i havent been with this setup in the mountains yet. Hope it helps!