Quantcast

Bos S**-Toy R Air

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
During Eurobike the France suspension guru's debuted their brand new weapon in the DH air shock market,the long awaited air version of the Stoy will compete with the all new Cane Creek DB air,X-fusion HLR Air & RS Vivid RC2C Air in the high end segment of air shocks.

Pictures:

Features:
- High Speed Compression
- Low Speed Compression
- Rebound

The most interresting feature of this air shock is the large adjustable air chamber which controls the progressiveness of the shock,so you can get the correct spring rate by only adding or changing air into the air chamber.

The prototype shock came in just over 400g in the 222mm i2i,which is pretty good considering what a RS vivid air weights.Their isn't much more info on the new stoy R air,but i hope they will release more info on this shock like pricing,sizes etc.

Link to the news artical
http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2011/09/05/eurobike-2011-bos-s-toy-r-air/

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The most interresting feature of this air shock is the large adjustable air chamber which controls the progressiveness of the shock,so you can get the correct spring rate by only adding or changing air into the air chamber.
sounds like the CCDB Air. is it adjusted the same way though?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
gorgeous. i really like it and the fact that there is now competition in the long travel air shock market to push manufacturers to make even better products.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm no shock suspension guru, but isn't increasing/decreasing air pressure in air chamber the ONLY way of adjusting the spring rate? :)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'm no shock suspension guru, but isn't increasing/decreasing air pressure in air chamber the ONLY way of adjusting the spring rate? :)
Think it might be one of those language issues... from what I could gather it sounds like the volume of the air chamber might be adjustable?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Hmm... DBair's wide and varied adjustment are more convincing for me...
And CC is probably cheaper...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hmm... DBair's wide and varied adjustment are more convincing for me...
And CC is probably cheaper...
DB air has one more adjustment ;) As for the price Zumbi has great prices for Bos around here so dont be so sure.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
It has 33% more adjustments than BOS ;)
I don't care about Zumbi ;> If I decide it to get DBair, I'll get it from local dystro, as you know :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't care about Zumbi ;> If I decide it to get DBair, I'll get it from local dystro, as you know :)
Given their regular prices even your bro-deal may mean it will be priced stupid.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
the long awaited air version of the Stoy will compete with the all new Cane Creek DB air,X-fusion HLR Air & RS Vivid RC2C Air in the high end segment of air shocks.
Don't forget Push's upgrade to the Vivid air unit.

Hopefully a media outlet will perform a legitamate comparision test on all these units.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
can anyone clarify for me why you need high speed and low speed rebound, if a spring only has a certain rebound speed regardless of where it is in the travel? I'm rather confused as to why anybody needs different rebound speeds if a spring can only extend at one speed. Compression I understand.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
can anyone clarify for me why you need high speed and low speed rebound, if a spring only has a certain rebound speed regardless of where it is in the travel? I'm rather confused as to why anybody needs different rebound speeds if a spring can only extend at one speed. Compression I understand.
Quite simple really. It really does make a big difference when tuned correctly..

http://www.canecreek.com/component-suspension?product=db-4-way

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
because it doesn't only have one rebound speed regardless of travel

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. The spring may have a different force/rebound speed at a point in its travel, but every time it's at that location, it will have the same rebound speed...correct? Nothing acts on the rear wheel to extend it faster or slower, besides maybe the rider.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. The spring may have a different force/rebound speed at a point in its travel, but every time it's at that location, it will have the same rebound speed...correct? Nothing acts on the rear wheel to extend it faster or slower, besides maybe the rider.
Not true. Imagine a shock returning from bottom out in the absence of rebound damping. It is accelerated by the force of the spring throughout it's stroke, hence it reaches topout at a greater speed than if it had only rebounded from halfway into it's stroke. In theory, HSR controls top out from big hits.

Whether or not it's necessary is debatable.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hadn't thought of that...thanks! Is the accelerative force very great? I suppose it depends on the unsprung mass of the wheel and lever arm?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
hadn't thought of that...thanks! Is the accelerative force very great? I suppose it depends on the unsprung mass of the wheel and lever arm?
Depends on whether the tyre is loaded or not, and at what speed the spring force alone equals the damping force. LS/HS rebound tuning is just as important as LS/HS compression tuning, but it's a lot less intuitive and harder for the average rider to understand the differences in. As with anything, the more adjustability you have, the more finely you can control the characteristic, but if you don't actually know what you're doing then it can definitely do more harm than good.