Quantcast

BOS S**toy review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
(are you talking trails, supercross, outdoors...all use different setups)
all of those disciplines use the same shock body and platform....just different tunes.....

there is alot it common.....mass transfer on a moto has a very similar effect on the chassis and suspension as a rider leaning back on a dh bike.....preventing excessive dive from mashing the brakes, going into berms preloading and/or landing(some) jumps is all controlled by lo speed compression similarly on a DH bike and a moto.....there are alot of things that are different, but there are more similarities than you'd think......

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What is this revolutionary damping technology that the BOS uses?
Are you illiterate man? He's specified time and time again that the BOS isn't revolutionary and is actually only a marginal improvement over shocks half it's price.

He's really left it up to the consumer to decide if that marginal increase is worth the much less marginal price increase.

You seem incapable of comprehending this no matter how many times it is pointed out although perhaps having explained through the use of sock puppets would help?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
5% hey? You're probably right to be honest. However I have a few observations from my BOS experience.

1) First and foremost, the BOS allowed me to drop my spring rate from 400lb to 300lb. This I think, should give a 25% increase in traction yeah? At least on the very small, pebble level.

2) The Orange 224: which in my opinion has absolutely awesome geometry, but rather ordinary suspension compared to a linkaged bike. My previous bike was a Sunday, which has almost the same travel as the 224, but a linkage, so i could run a 300lb spring. Obviously I noticed a loss of suppleness and small bump compliance when I needed to run a 400lb on the Orange. Even with this heavier spring I still bottomed it very heavily from time to time, due to the Orange's regressive rate. Now since I've had the BOS on it, I have noticeably improved traction on flat bumpy corners and as well as that it never bottoms harshly.

3) Stability: BOS stuff is extremely stable under brakes, it doesn't pay out in gee outs, the bike never pitches around, basically it feels like it stays pretty static, which obviously it doesn't but thats the impression it gives.

Bottom line is that 5% is a lot that's 9 seconds on a 3 miniute track, however on a single pivot it is worth more than that I think, maybe 8% judging by my times at Kenilworth and Illinbah.
The Sunday has a much lower leverage rate than the Orange, which is a large part of the reason you ran a much lower spring rate. Its rate is slightly progressive at the start but mostly pretty linear. I very much doubt you could get 25% more traction, that'd be the equivalent of being able to ride around any corner about 12% faster - that's like the difference between Sam Hill and the average punter. I mentioned time gains of more like, in my opinion/estimation, 1-2% which I think is realistic. Even on a two minute track, that's 1-2 seconds. There is no way you're knocking nearly 10 seconds off your time on a 3 minute track by substituting one shock for another, and it seems to me that the comparatively large difference you feel may have been due to a comparatively poor setup of whatever shock you had prior to the BOS (whether that was your fault or the fault of the bike not working well with your shock, whatever, don't interpret this as me having a go at you personally). As I said, if your old shock wasn't set up well then the difference you feel when you buy any shock that comes well set up (such as the BOS) will be even greater than the mere difference in CAPABILITY of any two shocks, which in my opinion is simply not that great.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
sorry, but how can you even type that with a straight face after your previous posts in this thread. if nothing else, they were written to give the impression just how much you know. or, more to the point, how much more you know.

note to self: if you claim to "be the first to admit" anything, it's best to preface your original comments with that remark before you write several paragraphs to the contrary.

and i quote:

"you can change the shims yourself if you want...plenty of people in the moto world do that.....

and it feel so different from a DHX it isn't even funny....i've owned a few DHX's, and I've owned a few avalanches and i can say in SO many ways they are worlds apart both internally and on the trail..."

"FOX gives you a worthless boost valve with no real low speed compression adjustment(even you managed to figure that out) and rock shox has 3 tunes for thousands of setups.....

based on your vague and minimal knowledge of suspension i would spend more time trying to learn"

"if you called him and said put a .06" X .8" shim on the bottom, then a .07" X .7" shim next....blah blah blah....he would do it......if you called fox, rock shox, or just about anyone else, they would laugh at you . . .

lately i've been playing with 2 custom tunes on an old fifth element"

"To someone like you it may be, but he has been doing this stuff for years, has a degree in hydraulics and figuring out different tunes for different bikes and riders is babysh:t...he could do it in his sleep...i'm sure it's hard for you to wrap your head around that concept......a good friend of mine has worked out many "unique shim configurations" in his garage for himself, me and others.....it's not that complicated"

"somehow that is supposed to make you accredited in knowing a single thing about suspension, rate curves, leverage rates, piston orifice configuration, shim stack arrangement.....sure."

and i really love this one:
"the fox, cane creek, vivid, manitou, etc. all have features that aren't necessary on MTB's......the moto industry has gone through 30-40 years of working out the kinks and what they have come up with as a standard platform for a rear damper is a speed sensitive damper with a shim backed piston, a nitrogen charged bladder, hi/lo comp clickers and ONE rebound clicker....the avalanche and the BOS (and the elka, but that isn't available) are the only mountain bike dampers that work this way.....everything else is convoluted.....prime example of how this industry gets hung up on stupid ideas......."

yeah, pretty much exactly the opposite of "being the first to admit how little i know." all you do is blow a bunch of hot air to compenstate.

good day. and cheer up.
once again, that's the difference between you and i....everything mentioned above that you quoted me on is true.....it's not hot air, and i didn't get into anything complicated.....simple factual statements

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow. Just wow. You really ARE incapable of reading, comprehending, or taking in a damn thing anyone else says.
Well, you said "it", not me.

but in spite of numerous small improvements, none of these have really stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of performance

I guess your conclusion is that the BOS dosen't really stand head and shoulders above the competition either? It's kind of what you've said already, but then you're also saying a minimal improvement is significant and worth it, so which is it? If you're saying that the CCDB and Avy don't stand head and shoulders above the competition (I don't agree that these two make "small improvements"), then I guess it's fine just to lump ALL shocks into one performance-catagory, and say they are basically all the same. Strange.

Last edited:

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Well I have a sneaking suspicion my DHX was full of air...

But I did reduce my times at Kenilworth from 3:55ish to 3:35ish in two weekends worth of riding with the BOS. Not back to back runs I know but I don't improve that much by myself. I daresay that 95% of that improvement is through added confidence though.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

I guess your conclusion is that the BOS dosen't really stand head and shoulders above the competition either?
For the love of all things 3 inch stroke and adjustable, he all but says that word-for-word throughout the review. so there you have it: the BOS is not head and shoulders above the competition, and Avy is not head and shoulders above the competition. If A is to C as C is to B then A is equal to B and the BOS and your Avy are in fact exactly the same shock. how good do feel now?

not sure what the standards are in AZ, but up here your reading comp skills wouldn't meet the standard for 8th grade. he mentioned the avy in a passing reference to acknowledge its physical existance then moved on never to return. somehow you took this to mean something else entirely and you still can't figure it out or just won't let it go.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
once again, that's the difference between you and i....everything mentioned above that you quoted me on is true.....it's not hot air, and i didn't get into anything complicated.....simple factual statements

so is the theory of relativity. i can quote it all day long an some people might mistake me as rather smart, and i can dismiss any challenger by asking them to prove their own credentials, but at the end of the day all i have is a handful of facts and figures and nothing else; but i got to put on a good show.

it's not what you say, but the context in which you say it and what it's meant to convey.

but i still like you. even though . . . your goddamn . . . ellipses make me . . . . . . crazy.:biggrin:

truth be told, i do know a thing or two about suspension, how set it up, and in a limited way how to tune a shims stack (that caveman sh*t was after all a shim stack, lsc knob, and rebound). and i'm sure you'd agree that intimate knowledge of the fluid dynamics, hydraulics, ect is far less important than understanding how your given shock adjustments work, how to alter them, and what effect it has on your ride. and if not, you better be really good at explaining it to someone who does. though not apparent on the internet, i'd hazard a guess (here i go again, so forgive me) that you and i both fall into one of these two latter categories. as do a few other members of this board, despite the fact that we are not the fastest racers anyone has ever met, not have relevant technical training. I've been f'ing with bike suspension for 14 years, and while i'm no professional tuner by any stretch of the imagination, and i don't always get the technical jargon correct, i know enough to have a leg to stand on in a discussion. as do you.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
But I did reduce my times at Kenilworth from 3:55ish to 3:35ish in two weekends worth of riding
And then come race day it reverts back to 3:55? Is that a special function of the BOS too? :p

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
so is the theory of relativity. i can quote it all day long an some people might mistake me as rather smart, and i can dismiss any challenger by asking them to prove their own credentials, but at the end of the day all i have is a handful of facts and figures and nothing else; but i got to put on a good show.

it's not what you say, but the context in which you say it and what it's meant to convey.

but i still like you. even though . . . your goddamn . . . ellipses make me . . . . . . crazy.:biggrin:

truth be told, i do know a thing or two about suspension, how set it up, and in a limited way how to tune a shims stack (that caveman sh*t was after all a shim stack, lsc knob, and rebound). and i'm sure you'd agree that intimate knowledge of the fluid dynamics, hydraulics, ect is far less important than understanding how your given shock adjustments work, how to alter them, and what effect it has on your ride. and if not, you better be really good at explaining it to someone who does. though not apparent on the internet, i'd hazard a guess (here i go again, so forgive me) that you and i both fall into one of these two latter categories. as do a few other members of this board, despite the fact that we are not the fastest racers anyone has ever met, not have relevant technical training. I've been f'ing with bike suspension for 14 years, and while i'm no professional tuner by any stretch of the imagination, and i don't always get the technical jargon correct, i know enough to have a leg to stand on in a discussion. as do you.
i'll agree with that dot dot dot

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

I guess your conclusion is that the BOS dosen't really stand head and shoulders above the competition either? It's kind of what you've said already, but then you're also saying a minimal improvement is significant and worth it, so which is it? If you're saying that the CCDB and Avy don't stand head and shoulders above the competition (I don't agree that these two make "small improvements"), then I guess it's fine just to lump ALL shocks into one performance-catagory, and say they are basically all the same. Strange.
Exactly. It's not a night and day difference. It's a number of small improvements over mass-market shocks. As I stated VERY VERY explicitly in the review, serious racers/riders/gear nuts will find that justifiable. It's like saying riding (insert whatever boutique, american-made DH frame you like most, eg M6, DHR, whatever) is a small improvement over riding something like a Giant Glory. Factually, it is a small difference. Factually, plenty of us also WANT that small improvement and are willing to pay out the arse for it. I have a bike that's worth about double what my car is - says something right there (some smartarse is gonna say "yeah, says that your car is worth sh*t all!"). But riding that M6/DHR/Sunday isn't gonna net you times that are 20% faster than what you could do on a Glory (or whatever other "budget" DH rigs are about).

What I get sick of is marketing hype (or even owners who want to convince themselves that the changes they've noticed are enormous benefits) that makes out that there IS such a huge difference between modern day products. As I've said time and time again, there just aren't the huge gains left to be made anymore. We don't have such crap bikes that someone can reinvent the M1 and in doing so, create a bike that literally does allow crap riders to go as fast as pro riders do on other bikes. The same applies to shocks and suspension in general - the fundamentals are understood and well-applied by every manufacturer, and if you want more of the little details taken care of, you pay a hell of a lot more. We all know that. We pay anyway.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
"well, you're wrong...... i've been to avalanche on a few occasions and when i was there craig had a wall full of literally hundreds of bins with countless DIFFERENT shims....FOX and rock shox don't do anything like this so there is no sense in even comparing the two.....
Bu!!sh!t.

They spent 3 hours reshimming my DHX the other day with four distinctly different builds and I asked if he makes the shims himself and he said they were a standard Fox product. The config and all the little mini springs are full custom but the shims are from Fox. Why don't you guys stop comparing a custom tuned AVY to a stock DHX. Why is it so easy to forget that it is better to compare apples to apples.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I have ridden a dhx, vivid, CCDB and Bos on my socom. I wasnt able to tune the DHX to my preferences, could be incompetence or could be that it just wasnt possible with the DHX platform. because of that I bought the vivid, that shock is easy to tune and understand for me because the adjuster do what they are labelled to do. But I was at the end of the range because I am light and have a low leverage bike. So I bought the CCDB second hand. Maybe I didnt give the CCDB enough time and I live in a country with no mountains so when I go out riding I dont want to spend too much time thinking about suspension. I couldnt get the setup I wanted, maybe again incompetence or it was just not possible. So I bought the Bos to see if that would be it for me.
The Bos was out of the box almost exacly set up the way I wanted it to be and that is why I like the Bos best. I only started racing this year but I noticed a big improvement in my riding since I got off the dhx. And at this point I just dont have to worry about the performance of my shock because I think it is near the best it can be for me.

I guess that what I want to say is that it depends a lot on the rider wether or not he will like the shock or even cares. and Socket is probably somebody who has gotten the best out of the DHX because he has spend a lot of time tuning it. And thats why he only noticed slight but significant improvements. There is a lot of personal preference and it is nearly impossible to determine what the best damper is theoretically. Even car dampers that are used on roads that are relatively easy to simulate will be tuned by a experienced test driver.
every company has itst own insight in what should be best as a damper and people just have to find out which company suits them the best. Maybe companies like fox or marzocchi design their shocks to have the best comfort and that is easy to feel. But for racers dynamic tyre load is of more importance.

I hope somebody knows what I am trying to say, I dont any more.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Maybe companies like fox or marzocchi design their shocks to have the best comfort and that is easy to feel. But for racers dynamic tyre load is of more importance.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Tire pressures ranging from 19 to 35 psi is an interesting topic. Some people run low pressures in their tires. I don't know how one could corner at speed or not flat with low pressures. The harder/faster you ride the less "plush" gear you can run without having crazy G-out geometry all the time with pedals constantly dragging. The stock DHX is built for everyone; therefore it must be very lightly shimmed. If you don't like it the re-shim it.

I feel like my newest shim stack config in a DHX would be very hard for many people to ride because it was setup to absolutely charge. The transition between LSC to HSC is perfect when I am flat out. If I ride for 6 or 7 days in a row and I am tired and passengering more than piloting then my shock tells me to get with the program and let it run. What I mean to say is the type of terrain you ride, the speeds you regularly attain, how dynamic your inputs are to the bike and how you ride the trail/line choice will dictate a lot of things regarding setup.

Some people live in a state with one chairlift for the whole state and others live in a place with 25 lifts out their back door. The latter might be able to test different setups outside of their comfort zone and have the saddle time to fully learn how to ride a completely different setup. Even if someone has tested all platforms that doesn't mean that they have tested all the possibilities of each platform. It takes years to even test all possibilities of one platform even if you have 25 lifts behind your house and unlimited access to custom tuning.

I am tired of the limited oil flow on a DHX comments. If you run the PP dial fully open with different shim config you can get plenty of low speed without spiking. Regurgitation is bad, OK.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Bu!!sh!t.

They spent 3 hours reshimming my DHX the other day with four distinctly different builds and I asked if he makes the shims himself and he said they were a standard Fox product. The config and all the little mini springs are full custom but the shims are from Fox. Why don't you guys stop comparing a custom tuned AVY to a stock DHX. Why is it so easy to forget that it is better to compare apples to apples.
In fairness, when you buy a DHX it comes with a stock "medium" tune, but when you buy an Avalanche it gets tuned for you right off the bat. However if we're going on capability of the chassis rather than particular tune, then you are right.

I have ridden a dhx, vivid, CCDB and Bos on my socom. I wasnt able to tune the DHX to my preferences, could be incompetence or could be that it just wasnt possible with the DHX platform. because of that I bought the vivid, that shock is easy to tune and understand for me because the adjuster do what they are labelled to do. But I was at the end of the range because I am light and have a low leverage bike. So I bought the CCDB second hand. Maybe I didnt give the CCDB enough time and I live in a country with no mountains so when I go out riding I dont want to spend too much time thinking about suspension. I couldnt get the setup I wanted, maybe again incompetence or it was just not possible. So I bought the Bos to see if that would be it for me.
The Bos was out of the box almost exacly set up the way I wanted it to be and that is why I like the Bos best. I only started racing this year but I noticed a big improvement in my riding since I got off the dhx. And at this point I just dont have to worry about the performance of my shock because I think it is near the best it can be for me.

I guess that what I want to say is that it depends a lot on the rider wether or not he will like the shock or even cares. and Socket is probably somebody who has gotten the best out of the DHX because he has spend a lot of time tuning it. And thats why he only noticed slight but significant improvements. There is a lot of personal preference and it is nearly impossible to determine what the best damper is theoretically. Even car dampers that are used on roads that are relatively easy to simulate will be tuned by a experienced test driver.
every company has itst own insight in what should be best as a damper and people just have to find out which company suits them the best. Maybe companies like fox or marzocchi design their shocks to have the best comfort and that is easy to feel. But for racers dynamic tyre load is of more importance.

I hope somebody knows what I am trying to say, I dont any more.
I get you mate. More shocks are sold by people bouncing on them and going "wow, this feels super smooth" than by people spending three months testing them thoroughly on real trails to see whether the rebound curve is progressive enough or whatever.

The fact is that not everyone is happy with their DHX. The compression damping of my DHX suited me on my SGS and seems to be even better on the Banshee. It doesn't feel harsh, it doesn't blow through travel and it doesn't bottom out, but it's not as refined or sensitive as the BOS, and it's nowhere near as lively when you do crank the compression up. The lack of liveliness is a bit annoying but to a rider my size/weight and with my riding style (or complete lack thereof, you saw the photos :p), a dead-feeling bike works pretty well too as long as it's stable, tracks well enough and is not too harsh. A lot of people seem to really hate that feeling though, and I think that's why many people find the DHX unsatisfactory. Dyno testing of the DHX has also shown that the propedal knob does almost the same thing as simply altering the air pressure, you don't really have anything resembling separate low and high speed compression adjusters, more like two adjusters that do nearly the same thing.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Tire pressures ranging from 19 to 35 psi is an interesting topic. Some people run low pressures in their tires. I don't know how one could corner at speed or not flat with low pressures. The harder/faster you ride the less "plush" gear you can run without having crazy G-out geometry all the time with pedals constantly dragging. The stock DHX is built for everyone; therefore it must be very lightly shimmed. If you don't like it the re-shim it.

I feel like my newest shim stack config in a DHX would be very hard for many people to ride because it was setup to absolutely charge. The transition between LSC to HSC is perfect when I am flat out. If I ride for 6 or 7 days in a row and I am tired and passengering more than piloting then my shock tells me to get with the program and let it run. What I mean to say is the type of terrain you ride, the speeds you regularly attain, how dynamic your inputs are to the bike and how you ride the trail/line choice will dictate a lot of things regarding setup.
I completely agree - most people get on my bike and the first thing they do is tell me my forks suck and that my brakes are lethal. They feel overly firm/harsh to bounce on, but hitting rough stuff flat out, they offer that much more control over a softer, "plusher" feeling setup. Especially with steep stuff, the front end keeps itself up that much better, and you can push the front end harder into corners without fear of being pitched forwards.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
the fox, cane creek, vivid, manitou, etc. all have features that aren't necessary on MTB's......the moto industry has gone through 30-40 years of working out the kinks and what they have come up with as a standard platform for a rear damper is a speed sensitive damper with a shim backed piston, a nitrogen charged bladder, hi/lo comp clickers and ONE rebound clicker....the avalanche and the BOS (and the elka, but that isn't available) are the only mountain bike dampers that work this way.....everything else is convoluted.....prime example of how this industry gets hung up on stupid ideas.......
Take a little closer look at what Ohlins is doing in the moto market and you'll see that the CCDB isn't a stupid or novel idea to MTBs.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
such as Cane Creek and Avalanche, but in spite of numerous small improvements, none of these have really stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of performance
Well, that seems pretty clear to me he's saying the CCDB and Avy don't stand out in terms of performance. I think there are plenty of riders of those shocks that disagree. It was a bold statement, and usually in an intro you talk about what the body of your work is going to say, so if it's in the intro you expect to see it in the body

He didn't just say the "race results", he said "performance" as well. I can ignore race results because he made an inclusive statement. If he doesn't know how to write then that may be another issue.

I too thought that was an isolated, bold statement with no backing in the article.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I too thought that was an isolated, bold statement with no backing in the article.
i fail to see how this is a a bold statement with no backing

A few other boutique manufacturers have put up high-quality suspension products as well, such as Cane Creek and Avalanche, but in spite of numerous small improvements, none of these have really stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of performance or the all-important race results.
-Is the CCDB/Avy high quality? Yes
-Do they make numerous small improvements? Yes
-Are either head and shoulders above the rest in terms of performance? No, and the article does into great detail as to why this is so even with the BOS shock. (and we all know that the CCDB doesn't even work on some bikes, so it loses a bit of ground on that point as well).
-Does the CCDB or Avy have race results? At the highest level of competition no one has come close to matching the reulsts achieved by riders using the DHX.

He doesn't need to back it up, one becasue it is clearly not the focus or the article but rather a passing rerence made to frame/focus the larger idea of evaluating the Stoy, and two because everything written in that sentence is infact supported by facts as well as the overall theme of the review: that expensive, high performance after market shocks like the Stoy provide a marginal benefit that, while appreciated by many, is not going to blow stock suspension out of the water or rewrite the book on th subject.

why is this still so hard to understand?

by the way, the CCDB, the Stoy, Vivid, Roco, Avy, and Stoy all use basically the same damping platform that has been used in motorsports for decades though each is modified slightly to pruduce a specific feel (the CCDB and the Vivid each having some iteration of a 'twin-tube'). And with the exception of the CCDB, each can be custom tuned either at the factory or by certified tuners such as TF and Push for about the same amount of money all said and done. So with any of those shocks it should be possible to get exactly what you want at about the same cost. but again, the advantage is not going to be earth shattering unless, of course, you had your settings royally f'ed up from the start.

cheers.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Did the author of the article directly compare the same frame, on the same course with properly tuned Avys and CCDBs? Until he does, it's a bold statement. :bonk: Plus saying that Ohlins twin tube is a small improvement shows he didn't do his home work. The functionality of how the energy absorbed during impact is dissipated is vastly different than a traditional shock.

Race results are skewed.

1. Talent wins over equipment almost everytime.
2. Teams select equipment based on financial support. Fox and SRAM is in the position to give product and money to teams. Cane Creek and Avalance are not.

The BOS is the latest thing. I get it. Its the greatest ever.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Did the author of the article directly compare the same frame, on the same course with properly tuned Avys and CCDBs? Until he does, it's a bold statement. :bonk: Plus saying that Ohlins twin tube is a small improvement shows he didn't do his home work. The functionality of how the energy absorbed during impact is dissipated is vastly different than a traditional shock.

dude, give it up. nothing he said in the review is false information. and your superior twin tube CCDB comes with no custom tuning options and still does not work on low leverage bikes despite being on the market for 3 years. That is enough right there for me to consider it not 'head and shoulders above the rest.' in fact, on some bikes it actually works worse (one of them being one of the most popular race frames ever made).

nowhere in the review, nor in this thread, did anyone other than Avy or CCDB owner insinuate that any shock was supererior or the greatest.

get over it.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Properly tuned? When you order avy you get it custom tuned. Also as socket stated the big advantage of bos was that it was hard to **** up with the settings and overally feels nice in most of the possible settings. I'm a bit of a bike nerd myself but when I'll change my shock settings for different trails I don't want to spend 1/2 day testing it. He also stated that you if you know what you are doing other shocks are very close to bos so why is every fanboy of CCDB and Avy so outraged? I belive v10s are horrible. Should I get e-stoned to? I think is a great review(review not a comparison! vs ccdb and other high end stuff). Socket adressed all the issues that bugged me about. If money allows I'm pretty convinced I'll try to buy one.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I am not a CCDB owner (yet) but I'd like to make the claim that it is in a different league simply because it is not working against itself on rebound. It has no need to fight cavitation and run higher/harsher reservoir pressures to force the oil back through the shock rather than just using the spring force AND DAMPING THAT MOTION.

Based on basic function I'd say it's better than an average shock. If it doesn't work on low leverage frames, F it I'll re-shim it. Chances are that's actually just proper low speed damping and most people just don't really ride fast enough to really take advantage of it's high speed flow.

Flame away.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I am not a CCDB owner (yet) but I'd like to make the claim that it is in a different league simply because it is not working against itself on rebound. It has no need to fight cavitation and run higher/harsher reservoir pressures to force the oil back through the shock rather than just using the spring force AND DAMPING THAT MOTION.

Based on basic function I'd say it's better than an average shock. If it doesn't work on low leverage frames, F it I'll re-shim it. Chances are that's actually just proper low speed damping and most people just don't really ride fast enough to really take advantage of it's high speed flow.

Flame away.
I was happy with the LSC and HSC of the ccdb. The problem was the rebound being dead slow.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Chances are that's actually just proper low speed damping and most people just don't really ride fast enough to really take advantage of it's high speed flow.

Flame away.
That is the beauty of the CCDB, you'd be surprised how fast it allows the shaft to move without getting negative effects (i.e. cavitation and spiking). I did some testing for Cane Creek with a DAQ system and the shaft speeds are incredible. Way beyond what was conventionally thought of as high shaft speeds. The results even surprised Ohlins USA. The results are not mine to publicly say, but the operation of the shock is a clear advantage when you look at the math and physics of it. There was a video of a CCDB on Ohlins motoring dyno at Interbike a year ago and it was pretty awesome to watch. As an engineer I'd love to publish a paper based on fact, but it would most likely fall on deaf and dumb ears.

I'm not arguing that setting up a CCDB is easy and simple. In fact it requires way more of an investment that a majority of riders want to invest. They simply want to be told that their shock will make them faster. However, the ultimate would a sticker that lets you know your shock is "Custom Tuned". Only if. :crazy:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
That is the beauty of the CCDB, you'd be surprised how fast it allows the shaft to move without getting negative effects (i.e. cavitation and spiking). I did some testing for Cane Creek with a DAQ system and the shaft speeds are incredible. Way beyond what was conventionally thought of as high shaft speeds. The results even surprised Ohlins USA. The results are not mine to publicly say, but the operation of the shock is a clear advantage when you look at the math and physics of it. There was a video of a CCDB on Ohlins motoring dyno at Interbike a year ago and it was pretty awesome to watch. As an engineer I'd love to publish a paper based on fact, but it would most likely fall on deaf and dumb ears.

I'm not arguing that setting up a CCDB is easy and simple. In fact it requires way more of an investment that a majority of riders want to invest. They simply want to be told that their shock will make them faster. However, the ultimate would a sticker that lets you know your shock is "Custom Tuned". Only if. :crazy:
does it allow higher shaft speeds because of how it displaces the oil? because it isn't pulling a vacuum behind a piston, right??.....i haven't really delved into how that shock works....sounds pretty cool, but looks like there are some kinks to be worked out....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Totally not true. Get a DHX custom tuned and then compare.
So buy a $400 shock, then get a $200 tune, well that's the $600 that I spent on my avy, and it has real high/low adjusters and better...um..everything.

The thing about it not flowing enough oil though is still "totally true", this is why Push did the "race kit" on the DHX, but they stopped offering it because it elimiated the "propedal" adjustment, and they found that too many people still wanted the propedal. So while you can get it "custom tuned", you still can't flow as much oil as the original mod that Push made, in the end it still has a smaller piston and less fluid volume, so it still won't flow as much. I'm using the avy on a pretty high-leverage bike as well, although not as high as it was previously (3:1 was the first bike I had it on!). At those higher leverage ratios the bigger piston and fluid displacement make up for the fact that it is somewhat high-leverage, so for a given shaft displacement you get a similer amount of fluid displaced as if it was a lower-leverage design. The DHX simply doesn't have the fluid displacement/piston size to compete.

But see that's kind of the point, why shocks like the Avalanche, Cane Creek, and BOS are in catagories that are significantly above the DHX, Swinger, and other OEM shocks that have existed. If one thinks that those shocks are radically different than what we had 3-4 years ago, I would highly disagree. There was the whole SPV mistake, and the DHX did a lot to combine some of the technology/tunability in a usefull way, but otherwise we're not talking about much difference.

I think there are a lot of people tune the DHX to be a "compramise", whether they realize it or not. They jack up the boost pressure well past 100, maybe around 150-170, and they are trying to eliminate the "wallow" and make it feel very controlled. It also ends up being pretty harsh compared to what may be a more "optimal" shock/setting, but that's what they have to do. What people are realizing is that with shocks like the Avy and the BOS that are custom tuned, you can have your cake and eat it too. You can have a shock that has a decent amount of low-speed firmness so it doesn't feel like it's bogging down and causing way too much chassi movement, and you can still have ultra-smooth high-speed damping that just erases square-edged hits. I don't think a lot of people have really experienced this, and while I always knew it should be possible, it wasn't untill I spent a lot of time on the Avy that I knew exactly how it felt. Again, the DHX isn't bad, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of people run the DHX with the above boost pressures and at least a few clicks of propedal, they're trying to get that better low-speed control, but I'd also put money on (because this is what I experience(d) with my 4 DHXs) the mid and high speed damping being pretty harsh, but they have rationalized it in terms of "well, it gives me better control/pedaling/etc like this". I ride the DHX too, but shocks can get much better, like I said, less compramise is possible.

You are right though, a custom-tune on the DHX can go a long ways, especially if you already own a DHX. In terms of what is better, a BOS or Avalanche or a Push tune, it all depends on how much $$$ you have and how much performance you want. Push can do great things, but they also can't get around certain things (call them up and ask about the vanilla R vs the DHX in terms of their tuning). Not sure what route I'm going to go on my current 8" bike. I don't hate the DHX that's on it, yet the fork definitely outperforms it. I can probably live with it for a long time, but eventually I may get it Pushed or get an avalanche...

Last edited:

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
Please allow me to get involved in this nice discussion about suspension, just for the sake of clarifying what's at stakes.

There's a limited number of variables regarding suspension that can be tuned, no matter what principle is used to control/adjust/tune those variables:

- Level of damping (resistance); either speed-sensitive or position-sensitive
- Progressivity; anywhere from digressive to linear to progressive
- Spring rate (and its own progressivity)

No matter the adjusters, shims and whatever gimmicks, it will always come down to those 3 variables and their interaction. Although this seems pretty simple, it is fairly complicated when you factor in the interaction of those variables.

There's no such thing as a perfect shock or suspension setup, as many important factors require exactly opposite characteristics such as: plushness vs. chassis stability, small bumps absorption vs. big hit absorption, using full travel vs. not bottoming out. There's always a compromise to make to one aspect while trying to improve on another aspect.

Suspension tuning is the art of analyzing and understanding which compromise will render the less loss of performance and comfort while providing the most improvements in certain aspects in order to compensate for each rider's personal style, preference and type of terrain.

The holy grail of suspension would provide the following:

- Wheel always on the ground for maximum traction
- Absolutely no feedback to the rider upon impacts
- No suspension movement under pedaling
- Use full travel while never bottoming out

Even if this would be achievable, I strongly doubt that anyone would be able to ride such a setup, as it would provoke several "errors" from the rider due to the absence of proper feedback. Anyways, 99.9% of the rider cannot be objective enough to not be influenced by their perception when testing or riding so they always err on the side of their personal beliefs instead of towards the "theoric ideal".

In my humble opinion, the best shock would be the one that:
- is the closest to the optimal settings right out of the box
- provides enough adjustability to adapt to personal rider style and riding conditions
- is the easiest to understand and adjust properly

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Pat Tellier -
Your accurate information and reasoning are not welcome here. However, do feel free to purchase an expensive shock, write an incredibly biased post detailing why the product you purchased is TEH BESTEST, while refuting physics, and regurgitating false reasons why cheaper and more common products are inferior.

Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.