Quantcast

bostonians suck at

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
driving. besides that I'm loving this city. But seriously why do people drive so bad here? People never cross the streets when they should and when cars are coming they jump. When cars have green light they can't decide between driving or stopping, and when they have a red light it's the same. Are people here color blind?just ranting about it because I was almost hit by 2 cars today and police just gave them a warning when they clearly tried to drive through a red light.
I'm here helping my mom at the neuro surgeons world convention. Got to check out the latest gear in neuro surgery. Not that I'll ever get to use it in real life since I'm not a surgeon, but I have to say they have pretty neat gear.
The city is great (besides traffic). Beautiful architecture and the landscapes are great. I guess the nice weather also helps a lot. I'm thinking of moving here to do a phd or something. Was at the MIT campus today and it's one of the nicest campuses I've seen. Though I'm only used to european campuses.
Here some pictures of the trip so far:

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Boston is my favorite city and also the best city to drive in. Better than Montreal. You can drive like the biggest dumbass as an out of stater and they let you in. Weird. In LA I would get run over and/or shot.

Very nice architecture photos.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Heh, just be glad you don't have to deal with their governors, oh and did you also notice how cars like to randomly pull out RIGHT IN FRONT of others that are flying down the road so they have to slam on their brakes at the last second? No? Ok just asking since it's a common occurrence in that state. Other then that Boston and the surrounding towns aren't too bad, just beware of bored cops looking for "stuff" to do.

splat

Nam I am
You need to try some of the riding we have.

When cars have green light they can't decide between driving or stopping, and when they have a red light it's the same. Are people here color blind?just ranting about it because I was almost hit by 2 cars today and police just gave them a warning when they clearly tried to drive through a red light.
The people aren't color blind ( oh wait a minute yes I am ) you have to understand in Boston the color of a Traffic light is mearly a suggestion as to what you should do. the same with One way, Yield and Speed limit signs.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
have you had the pleasure of driving into a rotary yet??? good luck with that. noticed the pic of the Zakim bridge. my buddy was the chief electrical engineer on that project but his boss took the credit and got his name on the plaque instead of my buddy. we call it Johnnies Bridge now. he also did the new federal courthouse on the water front but he got credit for that one. it's a weird feeling to walk downtown in areas where the expressway used to be, it's nice that it's gone, just weird it not being there anymore.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
have you had the pleasure of driving into a rotary yet??? good luck with that. noticed the pic of the Zakim bridge. my buddy was the chief electrical engineer on that project but his boss took the credit and got his name on the plaque instead of my buddy. we call it Johnnies Bridge now. he also did the new federal courthouse on the water front but he got credit for that one. it's a weird feeling to walk downtown in areas where the expressway used to be, it's nice that it's gone, just weird it not being there anymore.
Your buddy rocks! It's a shame they don't have enough money to keep it illuminated.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ah did you see the screwed up dorm/class building they have up near kendall square? near vassar st? If you like weird architecture, that's money.

Stop by anna's for a burrito. Just ask for carnitas with refried beans and everything else.

Plenty of neat stuff in the city. Drivers are retarded. Pedestrians are arguably worse. It's pretty much a free for all, so just keep your head down and look out for #1. I hate driving in the city, and only wish I never had to. Too bad the T is so much worse.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
ah did you see the screwed up dorm/class building they have up near kendall square? near vassar st? If you like weird architecture, that's money.
yeah, that bldg is pretty weird and it's worth the walk for pics. if you were at the MIT campus it's only a few blocks towards the east heading to Charlestown. hang out along the Esplanade for people watching, should be some funky sh*t going on at some point plus all the colleges are back in action so they'll be plenty of new coeds in town.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
methinks you are the one that doesn't know how to drive. i've only driven in boston about 5 times and i never had much of an issue. stay on your toes.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Driving is fine here.

It's the "I will ****ing walk across this street when I feel like it" people that is the problem.
Thats one of the only good quality Mass possesses. Woodsguy and myself went to Georgia for a few days and on the same night each out walking by ourselves randomly crossing the same street were both yelled at by police to use a crosswalk. Dont those freakin cops have any thing better to do than monitor street crossings? :thumb:

As Splat said much like speed limit signs, yields, and traffic lights... crosswalks, walk signals, and looking both ways before crossing are only suggestions. As discussed earily the drivers arent going to pay attention to the red lights to make a safe crossing by the walk signals anyway. That and pedestrians always have the right away.

Another waste of time story. An exgirlfriends brother and sister came to visit from NY. They decided to walk to the store and went to cross the street and the cars driving stopped to let them cross. Her brother was amazed saying "Wow they actually stop to let you cross. This is great." Her sister said "There must be a law that says they have to."