Quantcast

bottle cage tips?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hi all,

Aside from purchasing a high end cage, do you have any tips for keeping bottles in the cage? I'm sick of launching bottles at the slightest bump, but I have reservations when it comes to throwing down $20 for a cage. Rubber bands, etc?

Thanks.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
reflux said:
Hi all,

Aside from purchasing a high end cage, do you have any tips for keeping bottles in the cage? I'm sick of launching bottles at the slightest bump, but I have reservations when it comes to throwing down $20 for a cage. Rubber bands, etc?

Thanks.
Try a camelbak.
Either that or bend the cage way in so it's tough to get the bottle in or out.
But seriously... go camelbak or some other hydration pack. You won't regret it.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
RenegadeRick said:
Try a camelbak.
Either that or bend the cage way in so it's tough to get the bottle in or out.
But seriously... go camelbak or some other hydration pack. You won't regret it.
I already ride with a camelbak. Two reasons why I want a functioning bottle cage 1) light battery and 2) energy drink.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
as mentioned before just bend the cage in. if for a light battery use a velcro strap. i use both techniques with great success.

matt

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I use a Bontrager XXX Carbon bottle cage. I use no bands/straps and have never launched a bottle. However, it's probably out of your price range, and I wouldn't put a light battery in it.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have had good success with profile plastic cages. The older style has a pretty wide band and the surface area creates a good amount of friction to hold the bottle. But for a heavy battery, use an extra strap around a frame tube and the neck of the battery bottle.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
oldfart said:
I have had good success with profile plastic cages. The older style has a pretty wide band and the surface area creates a good amount of friction to hold the bottle. But for a heavy battery, use an extra strap around a frame tube and the neck of the battery bottle.
Ditto - I have sanded the interior of my profile plastic water bottle holder and the outside of my battery back - the battery stays in place even when I crash. I also have a no-name titanium cage that has rubber grips on each side. That works well too.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have never had a bottle come out on road or mountain. If it gets loose, just bend the cage with your hands...that's what I do. I've used cheap $4 cages and $20 Elite ones- they all seem to work the same for me in the end.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The Toninator said:
i've never had a bottle come out of my Chris King Steel cages.
I believe you mean King Cages? I don't think Chris King makes them

Best bottle holder out there, with the exception of the King Ti Cage. That thing is unbelievable, lifetime warranty too. $50 is a bit of cash to spend though. If I wanted to hold a light battery the only choice would be a King Steel or Ti cage.

I always pre-bend my cages to ensure that they are as tight as possible. I've seen too many carbon cages snap and I have seen plenty of the plastic ones with rubber band systems break as well. I like my aluminum cages as they are cheap, light weight and easy to replace if they stop working.

The Ito