Quantcast

bottlerocket or dirtbag?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Well i am trying to decide which one to get. I am looking for the one with the most versatility. i will need to pedal uphill most of the time. I ride primarily technical singletrack but i also like to hit the lifts and dh courses and shuttles as well as the dual slalom tracks around. I have a tendancy to be rough on bikes and i like hitting drops also. I like the look of the bottlerocket and it looks super fast but the additional travel of the dirtbag may be usefull. anyone ever had both of these bikes before?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They're pretty different geo wise. The BR is much more low slung and snappy, whereas the DB is higher and longer. What are you riding now, and what have you had in the past? What did and didn't you like about those?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i havent had a bike in a few years. long story.....my past bikes aside from hardtails have been an iron horse sgs, turner xce, yeti asx and foes dhs. my favorite bike of all of them was the sgs due to its stability in the air and really good ability to rail berms.

Sep 19, 2008
Central Alamance County
I have ridden both and currently ride a b'rocket. The Dirtbag is a true freeride bike. It likes downhill and xc. The b'rocket is a slopestyle bike. It likes dh, ds and dirt jumping. The b'rocket is a good xc ride but doesn't climb well.

IMO the b'rocket is the most versatile. Mine has a 66 on the front and it never bottoms out front or rear.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
i have owwned both and for you as with me i would pick the B.Rocket over the Dirtbag. youll find the B.R. much more trail friendly and yet still rip on the lift access mountains. the B.R. really encompassed all of my riding needs and i love to do it all, DJ, DH, FR, XC it truly is a do it all bike. i ran a fox dhx 5.0 coil on the rear and a Fox Talas 36 RC2 on the front and the bike was invincible. The travel adjustment feature really helps the bike climb a little better, its not a great climber but being able to drop the front end down makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ben..i'm currently on a BR and love it for everything from snowshoe to the local freeride stuff to DJ's...however, it SUCKS on climbs. the DB is much better suited to pedaling and also handles the big stuff well.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
I have a bottle rocket for my all around bike. I purchased it with a dhx air, so it can lockout for climbing. Right now it weighs in just under 35lbs with saint cranks and downhill tires. I have also rode a dirtbag, I really dislike the geometry and top tube. It reminds me of my old Banshee Chaparral or a Kona stinky. Sorry for a blurry pic, thats what happens when you iphone gets moisture in it.
I have since changed to 823's on hope hubs.
I say go Bottlerocket, its my go to bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have a Large frame Dirtbag I will be selling very soon for about 850 with everything but the fork, handlebars and stem. SIngletrack wheels, x7 drivetrain, hussefelt cranks DRS chainguide. Hit me up if your interested

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I have a BR and think it's a decent XC ride. It climbs well enough to get you to the top, and bombs down. I run a dual ring set up with 36 and 22 front chain rings with a e13 DRS guide. A fork with travel reduction is also a must. Would I ride it on an all day epic, no. But if my sole intention is to get to the top on a fire road or something so I can go down some sweet single track as fast as I want, then, yes, it sure is fun.

But then again, I'd probably love a Dirtbag as well... Not much help I know. Both are pretty good choices.