Quantcast

Bought a car for my kid.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
16 years old, he’s saved the $ to pay for half.
It was his idea to get an older Volkswagen, and I know the safety factor with old cars and all that, so I bought a set of 3-point shoulder belts to install so that will make this little bug a bit safer. I use to be into VW’s back-in-the-day, but not sure if I’m going to be as much into working on a car as often as you need with an old Bug… :o:
Anywho, I’m a bit excited for him and since this car was in such good shape couldn’t pass it up. :cool:

Picture:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ET_SoCal said:
It was his idea to get an older Volkswagen, and I know the safety factor with old cars and all that, so I bought a set of 3-point shoulder belts to install so that will make this little bug a bit safer. I use to be into VW’s back-in-the-day, but not sure if I’m going to be as much into working on a car as often as you need with an old Bug… :o:
Anywho, I’m a bit excited for him and since this car was in such good shape couldn’t pass it up. :cool:

Picture:
Damn.. that thing is clean!!!

I used to drive my mum's '72 SuperBeetle back in high school and I remember the heater had two settings: "Incinerate" and "Off"

Oh... and the acceleration was 0-60 in about 8 days.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
ET_SoCal said:

Picture:
Nice, it's looks like it is in great condition. It's a little harder to "name the year" from the front, but it looks like it is between a '63-'65...is that right?

I have always been a huge fan of VWs, and I spend a lot of time in them when I was in high school. My bro had a '55 oval window and another buddy had a late 50' bus...good times in those cars. While they do require a decent amount of work to keep them running, they are very easy to work on, and a blast to drive--I learned to drive in a '65 bug...

Thanks for sharing that, and giving me a little trip down memory lane! My bro is going to buy my nephew one in a few years, when he's old enough to drive...I, for one, can't wait!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It's a 67, the first year the old-style headlights went away.

ET: I have a great repair manual that I don't need anymore, "idiots guide to VW repair" that will help your kid keep it running. PM your address if you want it and I'll mail it to you.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My son's first ride was a '66 we bought 3 years ago for $600. We used the trans and motor out of my '68 (12v 200mm flywheel). He didn't keep up on the work and it fell apart quick. I was always working on it in my off hours and we finally sold it on Craig's List for $2500. Not a bad deal since we only had $1500 into it.

The kid we sold it to has torn it down and rebuilt it to look great!

B-Mans 66

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
dan-o said:
... I have a great repair manual that I don't need anymore...
Cool, will PM U...

Ya, it’s a 67

Fairly Recent paint job, new carpet, tires, clean engine, no signs of rust anywhere, engine rebuild in ‘97 w/ 8000 miles on it.
100% Southern California Car. The original owners manual has all the dealer service stickers with then service done, also have recipes of owner changes, engine rebuilds, carb overhauls, front end rebuild, just about everything has been replaced at one time or another, I can see every owner’s name, when and who they sold it to, and each of the 4 previous owners kept detailed records of anything and everything done to this vehicle! Inside is immaculate, headliner has no rips or tears, looks like it was completely redone a few years back, but I can’t find any receipt for that. Original working AM radio.
The car drives better than and of the Bugs & Ghia’s I ever had, everything’s tight and smooth. Fun to drive, I love the steel dash also;

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
great cars, lots of people here have their cars with more than 300,000kms and still going. We call 'em "Vochos" or "Vochito".

>>>Beware of this MOFO'S

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Sounds like a great car. Make sure the fire extinguisher stays put, every one of my VWs caught fire at some point. Good times.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Great ride. I was saving up for one when I was 15, too... but my mom freaked and wouldn't let me get one "because there is no engine in the front"

Ended up getting my grandfather's 1965 Mustang... so I wasn't sad. :)

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Thats an awesome car. The idiot book is real good for learning vw's I have owned several in the last 23 years. enjoy...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
N8 said:
Damn.. that thing is clean!!!

I used to drive my mum's '72 SuperBeetle back in high school and I remember the heater had two settings: "Incinerate" and "Off"

Oh... and the acceleration was 0-60 in about 8 days.
My first car was a 65. The heater was either "off" or "exhaust fume death".

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I had a buddy in school who had one. They were faster than you thought if you got on the gas. Pretty fun little cars. Loud, don't hold heat worth a piss, but for the weather here in Southern Cali it was great.

The only fun thing was working on them. We have so many VW repair shops it's not funny. My friend had a VW van and broke a spark plug off, so out came the engine and we rebuilt it in autoshop (he didn't know what he was doing, I did) so he paid for parts and such and I helped him for a hour a day. Didn't take long to get it back in the car and running. Just funky removing them :)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Damn, wish my parents would put up half for a car.

Recently my Dad took away my lisence because i got a B- in latin III AP. :stosh:

Merrrrjig, nice kenda sitcker in that busted out window!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mack said:
Damn, wish my parents would put up half for a car.

Recently my Dad took away my lisence because i got a B- in latin III AP. :stosh:
You sure it was because of the B- in latin? Maybe it was your F in spelling.

LICENSE

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Psssst.

It's License. :p
ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

The smack down doesn't work when I smack myself down in the process. I think I pwned myself on that one. :D

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
NIce V-dub!

My first few cars were Bugs. Pretty easy to take care of, and make them go fast.
I put a Porsche engine/brakes in my '69, it ate all the ricers and musclecars around Vancouver...

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
oh ****, dude, i'm sorry. i pity you and i pity my parents. i actually got my car taken away and donated to charity because i was naughty in it. oops
it'll seem great at first, but i can't gaurantee that he won't sneak out every so often. i can gaurantee that nothing good happens in cars in the middle of the night

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
:thumb: you cannot belive how stoked I am for your kid. I bought my first an current ride is a 71 super beetle. I bought it for 2 reasons it was a killer deal at 500 bucks, and it was orange, I havent had any trouble from it, it starts up every day in the winter, Ive put some work into mine such as a 2 inch drop in the front end which leveled out the car and firm spring rate improved cornering. a set of origanal 71 seats(the old ones where trashed) and vairous parts have been replaced to make it safer/more reliable like new fuel lnes, new brakes, tires ect.

my plans for the car include a total engine rebuild with the addition of a 1776cc pistons ,cylenders, rods and crank, ( I want to keep it under 1800cc to avoid cooling issues) dual carbs or a single 2 barrel one or the other, mildly port the heads, electonic ignition, aftermaket exaust I would like to get 100hp out of it with should be a atainable goal witout sacrifceing daily driveablity. my startibg point is a 60hp dual port 1600cc (very stock).

I wnat to keep the look of the car quite stock maby some aftermarket wheels, tint the windows, lower the rear 2 inches, new orange paint with the factory chrome work nothing too majour.

well eather way thats a dialed 67 what motor is in it the 1200?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
merrrrjig said:
I might be buying a older golf or something, but I dont have any money right now, Tell you kid to always wear his seatbelt, its what saved my life
Man...by the looks of your car, you're lucky to be alive! Those pictures sent chills up my spin. Glad you made it out of there...

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I wish my parents would buy me a car. :(

I have trouble saving since whenever i get lots of money i splurge it on bikes.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Parents of the year.

Any questions you/he may have can usually be answered or have already been asked here.

As with any site, there are search function Nazi's. Enter at your own risk.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
stevew said:
... questions you/he may have here...
Already did, posted under; Forum Index -> Beetle "Purchased 67 Bug, how I'd do?"

flatulant_man said:
...got my car taken away ...was naughty in it...
That's a vision, in a Bug...

Dirt rider said:
... starts up every day in the winter... work... 2 inch drop .. set of seats...plans ..1776cc .. dual carbs ..port the heads, electonic ignition, aftermaket exaust ... aftermarket wheels, tint...lower ... what motor..?
That's a quite a bit past stock
The original engine was rebuilt 4 times, then replaced w/new 1600 case & {Single port} heads 8k miles ago.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Good luck to your kid and his new car, glad to see Merrrig made it out of there alive!

Lovebunny....... What happened to the Pathfinder? is it officailly totaled because of that? does the Ranger cost less than fixing it? whats the deal?

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
ET_SoCal said:
That's a quite a bit past stock
just my plans for the drivetrain. as far ans interior exteior i think they look as cool today as the day it left Wolfsburg.:)

It not like Im looking for all out tire smoking pin you in your seat power. I just want give it some go.