Quantcast

Bought a project

Hunty

Chimp
Oct 7, 2008
Hey guys i am new to freeride and i bought a coolish kinda bike and its a magna because i got it quite cheap and i was wondering if i can fit new forks on the to get rid of ther realy thin onse

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Hey guys i am new to freeride and i bought a coolish kinda bike and its a magna because i got it quite cheap and i was wondering if i can fit new forks on the to get rid of ther realy thin onse
Welcome to RM.

This one?

Cable43

Monkey
Oct 7, 2008
(Philly @ Heart)
I'll be the one to say it. In my opinion a High Tensile Steel Magna is not a good choice for a freeride bike. It's not a very strong material and the welds are also sub par.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
I'll be the one to say it. In my opinion a High Tensile Steel Magna is not a good choice for a freeride bike. It's not a very strong material and the welds are also sub par.
Agreed. If you look closely on the frame, there's probably a sticker on the frame that says "Not intended for off-road use." We get those all the time at the shop. Savin money is good but look out for your safety bro!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I realize that it's not the advise you want to hear but with your best interests in mind let me second the advise above. Hard riding on a bike of that caliber can actually be dangerous - you simply don't know when (not if) it is going to fail.

That said, if you are dead set on keeping it, I'd probably recommend you not upgrade the fork. The one that's on there is suited to the type of riding that bike is capable of. Upgrading won't make the ride much better and it's just going to be one strong point among a myriad of weak points.

Hunty

Chimp
Oct 7, 2008
i was just seein if my bike was orite to do it

I think it best for me to do cosscountry and dirtin

Hunty

Chimp
Oct 7, 2008
its just like going through woods fast and speedin round the corners and stuff and gettin dirty

S

seespotendo

^down a hill?
which makes it downhill biking. which requires a bike worth maybe double what yours is worth.

S

seespotendo

might i suggest some body armor. :lighten:
I like my 661 pressure suit and my lopes knee/shin guards.

What helmet do you have?

Hunty

Chimp
Oct 7, 2008
Nahh its not goin down hill Its liltearly called mounatin biking and cross country witch i do alot

fatrat

Chimp
Aug 16, 2008
N>GA
My son used to have a magna like that a couple years back and the brakes really sucked! The shifters were almost impossible to use and the thing might as well just had a coil on the back w/ no shock as the thing bob'd like a biatch! Oh, and it weighed more than my BMX bike even though it was smaller!!!

He now rides this which I got really cheap!
http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2004/html/p_04_WildcatTrail.html

Good luck and be careful!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
can i nominate this for best of? It's awesome.

Save your money. In a year, or when the magna dies, buy a used bike from the classifieds here. Save your money from the fork. Plus, for what you would invest in the fork, you could probably get somebody's old beater.

I bought a cannondale for 200 and a Schwinn for $300, and you probably couldn't get a new fork for less than $100. Both of the bikes I mentioned blow the magna out of the water in every category except sucking.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
can i nominate this for best of? It's awesome.

...Both of the bikes I mentioned blow the magna out of the water in every category except sucking.
FTW, that made me laugh out loud at work :clapping:

Oh and I agree, it's not worth upgrading anything on that bike. Just buy a decent used bike when it dies, which probably won't be too far off if you use it for actual mountain biking.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I bet Sarah palin rides a magna with the fork on backwards.

hunty-dude, how much money do you have saved up? Where are you located? I bet if you ask nicely, you might be able to get a discount on an entry level used ride from somebody on this site.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I think I speak for everyone when i say that we're scared for your life.

If you post your address I'm sure you will receive a flood of old parts in the mail (and probably some boxes of poop) from concerned ridemonkey citizens.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I bet Sarah palin rides a magna with the fork on backwards.
I actually saw that exact bike chained to a light post the other day. Part of me wanted to stop and fix it, but then I realized I didn't have tools to deal with a threaded headset and kept riding. Always good for a laugh though.

Hunty

Chimp
Oct 7, 2008
Im in the United Kindom Cornwall Plymouth Torpoint pl112ne If that what u wanted to know

My name is Jordan Hunt But i like the name Hunty

margam_man

Chimp
Jun 28, 2008
I tried to trail ride with a bike similar to that for a laugh and almost killed my self lol . u guna need a new bike. try and spend over £300 that way youl now it will cope with what u want to do. like everyone else said. DEATHTRAP!!

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I am getting a GT avalounche 3.0 The 2008 model because the 2009 is Balllllllllls
before i get to this quote let me start off by pointing out a few flaws in 'hunty's' story.. so supposedly hes from the uk... right except hes already used a few deep south terms already such as 'ain't' not to mention the questionable "dirtin" he plans to do. also has anyone noticed how hes bought a magna which is produced by Dynaco, a US toy company based in California (not an international company) and now back to the quote, which is also a flaw in his little brittish story...

well as many people know some english folk spell some words funky (no offence) like colour or favourite where the 'o' is replaced by an 'ou'. and this hunty character had the level of intellegence to make that connection... but that little bit of smarts must have been thrown out the window with this one! because after saying hes from the uk he has to act like it right? so heres my favorite part...:happydance: he decides that he can just add an 'ou' anywhere in any word and make it brittish!!!:lighten: so he spices up the name of the bike hes getting (which is still crap in my opinion) except he replaces an 'a' with the more brittish 'ou' to come out with the "word" avalounche.

and for the people who think im over reacting or being too harsh on the kid for a little lie, i absolutly cannot stand little american brats who act brittish on the internet because they think it makes them cool :banghead:

and for the record i'm a 16 year old from north carolina USA

now on a lighter side of things...
I think I speak for everyone when i say that we're scared for your life.

If you post your address I'm sure you will receive a flood of old parts in the mail (and probably some boxes of poop) from concerned ridemonkey citizens.
i know some people who would love random old parts... not so much with the poop though