Quantcast

Bought; Titus/Asylum 29_incher!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N00biE question alert:

What exactly is Titus/Asylum? I mean, I know what Titus is obviously since I own one, but what's "Asylum"?

[/end n0obEeneSS]

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Nice freaking bike!! And way to pimp with the new X.0 shifters.

Let me know what you think in a few weeks, I might be looking to the 29" for my next bike.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
N00biE question alert:

What exactly is Titus/Asylum? I mean, I know what Titus is obviously since I own one, but what's "Asylum"?

[/end n0obEeneSS]
Short answer is the Asylum is Aluminum while the Titus 29" Racer-X is Titanium.

From http://www.speedgoat.com/catalog.asp?cat=170 :

Asylum OCD FS29 Frame
Custom fabricated for Asylum by Titus Cycles, Tempe, AZ

More than three years in the making, the Asylum frame was originally developed jointly with Titus Cycles when Chris here (Speedgoat.com)--rabid big wheel fanatic--started pestering Chris (Titus) there to create a one-off custom 29" wheeled Racer-X. The Racer-X was the perfect choice. It's the original full-suspension frame, properly rethought, redesigned, stiffened, made more efficient, made more durable and serviceable, and beautifully fabricated. It's one of the few full-suspension frames stiff enough to handle the larger wheels, and the super agile rising-rate suspension system is perfectly designed to offer just enough travel, which, combined with the huge wheels, means rolling over everything in your path.

But we didn't stop there. We carefully perfected the numbers on this 29" Racer-X to create an entirely different type of bicycle, one with the handling characteristics of a quick woods bike, but the roll of a 29'er.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
N8 said:
Short answer is the Asylum is Aluminum while the Titus 29" Racer-X is Titanium.

From http://www.speedgoat.com/catalog.asp?cat=170 :

Asylum OCD FS29 Frame
Custom fabricated for Asylum by Titus Cycles, Tempe, AZ

More than three years in the making, the Asylum frame was originally developed jointly with Titus Cycles when Chris here (Speedgoat.com)--rabid big wheel fanatic--started pestering Chris (Titus) there to create a one-off custom 29" wheeled Racer-X. The Racer-X was the perfect choice. It's the original full-suspension frame, properly rethought, redesigned, stiffened, made more efficient, made more durable and serviceable, and beautifully fabricated. It's one of the few full-suspension frames stiff enough to handle the larger wheels, and the super agile rising-rate suspension system is perfectly designed to offer just enough travel, which, combined with the huge wheels, means rolling over everything in your path.

But we didn't stop there. We carefully perfected the numbers on this 29" Racer-X to create an entirely different type of bicycle, one with the handling characteristics of a quick woods bike, but the roll of a 29'er.

Asylum is just the name Speedgoat gave to the frames. Titus makes em, Speedgoat sells and markets them.

Similar to the Hammerhead 100X - it is built by Titus and just differes from a Racer X in a few areas - I think a slightly beefier tube set, and maybe different top tube lengths than stock Racer X frames. Maybe a slightly higher bottom bracket too.

Titus seems to supply a lot of rear triangles to custom builders as well such as Vicious Cycles and Inglis Cycles etc. etc.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
you'd spend $110 on a saddle from REI? man, you are dumber than i thought.

I think you need to pull that little yellow Bush flag out of yourself and get with the program here boy.

:dancing:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Asylum is just the name Speedgoat gave to the frames. Titus makes em, Speedgoat sells and markets them.

Similar to the Hammerhead 100X - it is built by Titus and just differes from a Racer X in a few areas - I think a slightly beefier tube set, and maybe different top tube lengths than stock Racer X frames. Maybe a slightly higher bottom bracket too.

Titus seems to supply a lot of rear triangles to custom builders as well such as Vicious Cycles and Inglis Cycles etc. etc.
:confused:

Where the hell do you learn this stuff?

Aug 8, 2005
.cx
N8 said:
I am loving the FSA K-Force Mega-Exo Carbon Cranks on the bike... incredibly stiff!

I hope they hold up well.

How do you know they are "stiff" ? Do you have some type of machine that measures stiffness of crank arms against crank arms by other mfgers ?

Not trying to harsh on you - it's just that I hear the "stiffness" term thrown around all the time and I don't buy it. I think the perceived stiffness of a given component, especially a crank is mostly in your head.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Alaa Abdelnaby said:
How do you know they are "stiff" ? Do you have some type of machine that measures stiffness of crank arms against crank arms by other mfgers ?

Not trying to harsh on you - it's just that I hear the "stiffness" term thrown around all the time and I don't buy it. I think the perceived stiffness of a given component, especially a crank is mostly in your head.
:stupid:

Nicely stated, n00b! :thumb:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Alaa Abdelnaby said:

By stiff, I mean non-flexy.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Sherpa said:
Did you buy that from Nathan J.?
Now that's funny. Four posts to id the seller. And its exactly who I'd have guessed knowing him from the mtbr 29er board. :)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
wooglin said:
Now that's funny. Four posts to id the seller. And its exactly who I'd have guessed knowing him from the mtbr 29er board. :)

A couple days ago, he sent me an email stating that he'd "accidently" bought two 19" Rigs and wanted to know if I'd like one... LOL!

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=MtbReview&language=&session_key=432043f821f56455&search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=92407&results_format=long&query=retrieval&exact_match=on

He's really nice dude!