Quantcast

Boxxer 2008 Team problem

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
please help! I'm not getting full travel on my fork. I've gutted it and everything looks fine. I've even tried another spring.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
yes stock oil heights and weights. It really just stops at about 5.5" of travel. Not a full hard stop, but pretty abrupt. I've tried even removing some oil and same thing.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
no compression (blue) on at all, it always felt like too much. I tried a softer spring because it seemed I wasn't getting full travel, and then I felt it for sure.
Tried the old spring again and same, tried less oil and same. Just order a AVA cart for it, but Craig says he thinks it might be the spring side.
I took all parts out and the lowers slide fine all the way up. That's where I'm at right now.

This did happened to me one time when i was swapping springs. The spring sits on a plastic "perch" down in the fork. It looks like a 3" long or so tapered sleeve.
If you pulled one spring out for another it may still be stuck to the original spring and then there would be a missing void which could explain the loss of travel.
When the fork is together do you have 8" of exposed stantion?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Are you a fairly light guy? If you're ~150lbs or less, I'd say it's likely to be the air in the lowers on the damper side that's providing too much ramp-up. Try burping the air out of there; undo the footbolt and tap it loose to unseat it from the lowers, then fully compress the damper side stanchion into the lowers (making sure to hold the footbolt in to allow air to continue to escape) then do the footbolt up with the damper side stanchion bottomed out in the lowers. Reinstall the fork on the bike, ride it and see how it feels.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I'm 175lbs, and tried the "burp" fix with no luck. I just tried cycling the travel without oil or the damper rod and rebound circuit (moco still in) and it seemed fine so I have my finger crossed that the new AVA damper will be the ticket. Thanks for all the advice!!