Quantcast

Boxxer: 2010 race vs 2008 WC

Which fork is better?

• Total voters

Chimp
Mar 23, 2010
Which fork would be better, 2010 race or used 2008 WC? Price is the same.

Which one requires less maintenance?

The 2010 race has more potential just due to the updated chassis. Almost the same valving(both have motion control but the race doesn't have the "gate" adjuster).
You can always upgrade parts on the Race as you go. For the long haul, i think the race is a better platform.
FYI, i'm keeping my old 32mm boxxer but just bought a 2010 race to tinker with:D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If its based on price and you dont plan on spending a dime more then 2010 race...

If you want to spend a bit more than as suggested throw and AVY cart in either Id go 35mm if its the same price.

If you want to save a little money then go a 08 or so team and slap a cart in it could be done for relatively close to what your paying for either of these Id think and would perform better than either.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would go with the WC over the race. The chassis is indeed a big step forward, but I think the damper and adjustability in the WC has it over the race. If it were a team, I'd change my mind.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Race + Avy. Seems like a great idea. Or maybe get a used 2010 race ( a lot of pb kids have no idea that they need to be serviced out of the box and sell them barely ridden) for dirt cheap and get avy right away.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I've never ridden a 2010 Race, but I got a chance to do a back-to-back run comparison on an '08 WC vs a '10 WC. The tortional stiffness was quite noticeably different, and this is from a guy who barely notices a damn thing on his bike. The '10 is just much more precise through any kind of terrain; the '08 felt much more 'vague' in comparison.

Chimp
Mar 23, 2010
Thank you all for your input.

I'm low on budget so I'm not getting avy upgrade for now. Race has warranty and added sftiffness, but inferior damping and adjustability. In case I decide for the race version, is it true that you have to service them right after purchase? That probably means just checking oil/lube, right?

Question for owners of both forks, how often do you need to service them?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got time on both chassis, and I'll agree that the new one is WAY stiffer. Very noticeably so, and I'm not a huge guy. I had a deal lined up on a Pushed '08 WC, but just couldn't do it because of the flex. I'm on a 2010 Team now, and loving it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thank you all for your input.

I'm low on budget so I'm not getting avy upgrade for now. Race has warranty and added sftiffness, but inferior damping and adjustability. In case I decide for the race version, is it true that you have to service them right after purchase? That probably means just checking oil/lube, right?

Question for owners of both forks, how often do you need to service them?
Word on the street is that the never ones are fine though if they work like crap than probably they arent ;)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
used to have a 2008 boxxer, which got the push rebound cart after about a year of use. The '10 race and the '08 WC use basically the same damper, just the WC is air sprung (big +, the solo air cart in the boxxer is really good). The chassis on the '10 race is much better. For tuning options (prior to the avy cart) I would have recommended the old style boxxer, so that you could get it pushed (the rebound in both the 08WC and 10race is pretty cappy). Now that there is an updated avy cart though, there is no reason to get the 08 WC whatsoever if price is the same.