funkyflea

Chimp
Oct 1, 2007
They put a link to it from Rockshox service homepage,

Finnaly the replacement kits seem to be on their way. :thumb:

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
It still seems strange there is no official recall. Just a video of what to do if you get one. I assume you're meant to go and ask your shop to order you one.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've dropped in the new rebound assembly on my Team and took that opportunity to cut the drop stop bumper by 1/2" The fork feels better after the rebuild, mainly because there wasn't much grease on the seal/wiper area.

The rebound piston on my buddies WC was nasty, real bad stiction.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
great communication there then Rockshox! :thumb:
Why, because they didn't post a thread on ridemonkey letting you know that the replacement parts and video were ready?

All Rock Shox authorized dealers and service centers have know about it for months and it has been posted on their service page for well over a month now.

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
Course I don't expect them to post on forums, but the Domain recall was really obvious on the website and was a press release on most major websites from what I remember. There is a very small link to a video that doesn't even explain how the consumer should go about receiving a new rebound assembly. I also don't check the service page often for regular updates as I already have learnt how to go about stripping them. Perhaps my shop was told and are in fact to blame for not letting me know.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Course I don't expect them to post on forums, but the Domain recall was really obvious on the website and was a press release on most major websites from what I remember. There is a very small link to a video that doesn't even explain how the consumer should go about receiving a new rebound assembly. I also don't check the service page often for regular updates as I already have learnt how to go about stripping them. Perhaps my shop was told and are in fact to blame for not letting me know.
Let me guess, the same way they go about getting anything replaced by SRAM?:thumb:

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I'm guna be ordering a WC soon... Do they currently ship with all the updates done to the fork, or do I havta order the fork than order all those random peices?

Any useful info would be appreciated!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why, because they didn't post a thread on ridemonkey letting you know that the replacement parts and video were ready?

All Rock Shox authorized dealers and service centers have know about it for months and it has been posted on their service page for well over a month now.
Do you have a link to where they announce the serial #s of the forks that need the replacement parts? I just picked up a WC and it would be good to know if it is affected or not.
On a side note: in contrast to the manual the low speed compression adjuster on my fork has what seems to be clicks (they say turns) and the beginning stroke rebound has no clicks (and should have them). :confused:
And no, I am not confusing rebound and compression adjusters!

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Do you have a link to where they announce the serial #s of the forks that need the replacement parts? I just picked up a WC and it would be good to know if it is affected or not.
Anybody?

On a side note: in contrast to the manual the low speed compression adjuster on my fork has what seems to be clicks (they say turns) and the beginning stroke rebound has no clicks (and should have them). :confused:
My Team is the same way.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Anybody?

My Team is the same way.
They did not have them by serial number which I was not to keen on as well.

I will get ahold of one of the guys that I always talk to and see if he has that info or where we can find which numbers were affected.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
RUFUS thanks that would be great.
I bought it sometime in May. I'm getting fork oil after this weekend so I'll open it then. I mainly haven't opened it already because reading through the tech manual I see I'll need new o-rings, glide rings, and crush washers etc. I can't find the service kit or seal/wiper kits online anywhere. I'll check if my lbs can get those later today.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
RUFUS thanks that would be great.
I bought it sometime in May. I'm getting fork oil after this weekend so I'll open it then. I mainly haven't opened it already because reading through the tech manual I see I'll need new o-rings, glide rings, and crush washers etc. I can't find the service kit or seal/wiper kits online anywhere. I'll check if my lbs can get those later today.
If you bought it in may, 99.9% you need the kit.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I will add the other .1 percent to that. Just have your LBS order you a new rebound assy. It is a free warranty item and takes 10 minutes from removal to installation.
Thanks for looking into this.
What about forks that were bought right now? Ordered 2 weeks ago when they got in stock at QBP again after they had been out of stock for a month or so.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Thanks for looking into this.
What about forks that were bought right now? Ordered 2 weeks ago when they got in stock at QBP again after they had been out of stock for a month or so.

I shot him an email today so I should hear back from him tomorrow at the latest with specifics hopefully.

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
My shop told me they have to send the forks off. Guess I'll wait till the end of the season.

I asked SRAM at Crankworx if they needed any work done (my drop stop is also loose inside the fork). They told me it was fine, perhaps they assumed I had the warranty work already done, being unaware of faulty parts I didn't even know to ask. Dammit.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
My shop told me they have to send the forks off. Guess I'll wait till the end of the season.

I asked SRAM at Crankworx if they needed any work done (my drop stop is also loose inside the fork). They told me it was fine, perhaps they assumed I had the warranty work already done, being unaware of faulty parts I didn't even know to ask. Dammit.
That is a big negative. The kit for whatever model you have can be ordered through your LBS and it is owner or shop installed. The video posted is very well done and if you have never opened your fork, you can do it with the video.

Your LBS can easily order the parts for you, if not then go to another LBS.

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
Well I might just have to make them phone SRAM while I'm there so that they can be told. I strip the lowers myself so really it's only a set of circlip pliers I need to invest in I guess.

duir

Chimp
Feb 15, 2008
Does this replacement part solve the issue of massive stiction on the 2010 teams? I keep mine well maintained with grease and oil but they feel constantly harsh and have huge stiction, making the travel move in notches instead of smoothly.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
you're assuming that everybody on a bike has had their Rock Shox fork need something replaced at some time .:thumb:
i just assume people have common sense and can figure out to go to their LBS and have them order the parts from SRAM (you know, like they would for just about any warranty item from any manufacturer). but common sense is in short supply these days.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
i just assume people have common sense and can figure out to go to their LBS and have them order the parts from SRAM (you know, like they would for just about any warranty item from any manufacturer). but common sense is in short supply these days.
It is also common sense that manufacturers announce which of their products need warranty replacement parts and how you can obtain them. And it should be common sense that SRAM mechanics at major events have an idea that there are issues with certain forks (unlike TomBigmac's experience). But like you said, common sense is in short supply. :rolleyes:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
i just bought a used 2010 boxxer WC from the canfield brothers. It was used this season so probably bought when they first came out.

what should i look for to see if its bad? the rebound seems to adjust fine and it doesn't have to bad of stiction or anything. Im about to take it out for the first ride so id like to know what i should be looking for.

Hopefully it will be ok cause it might be hard to get warranty stuff being the second owner.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
i just bought a used 2010 boxxer WC from the canfield brothers. It was used this season so probably bought when they first came out.

what should i look for to see if its bad? the rebound seems to adjust fine and it doesn't have to bad of stiction or anything. Im about to take it out for the first ride so id like to know what i should be looking for.

Hopefully it will be ok cause it might be hard to get warranty stuff being the second owner.
Open it up and take a look.

4:30-5:00 has what to look for between old and new.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
dang it, i just pulled it all apart and lubed everything and put oil in it. It was messy too. i came out looking like i lost in a grease gun fight ha ha ha.

ill be riding it today so is there anything i can look for performance wise? will it be harsh or lack rebound adjustment or what?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Wow. You really do have the corperate blinkers on hey? In the other thread, you kept on criticising the end user, touting how awesome the fork was and how it was the user's fault for not doing "routine" and "standard" maintenance on a "high-end", "race" fork. Now Sram admit they f*cked up and are releasing the parts/instructions to fix the problem and you still want to rip on the consumer for not having some kind of instinctive knowledge on how to fix/obtain parts to rectify the situation.

Admit it. Once again Rock Shox have released a product to market without having done the requisite amount of testing on production versions. Just like they did with the Vivid (unthreading piston heads). Just like they did with the previous version of the Boxxer (blown MoCo pressure seals). Just like they did with the Totem (lord where do I start?). It looks like they're on the case and hopefully customers will be golden from this point on, but buddy, everyone can see that you have some kind of reach-around arrangement going on with Sram. Do yourself a favor and just keep quiet if your obligations to sponsors prevent you from discussing hard facts here on the internet.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Wow. You really do have the corperate blinkers on hey? In the other thread, you kept on criticising the end user, touting how awesome the fork was and how it was the user's fault for not doing "routine" and "standard" maintenance on a "high-end", "race" fork. Now Sram admit they f*cked up and are releasing the parts/instructions to fix the problem and you still want to rip on the consumer for not having some kind of instinctive knowledge on how to fix/obtain parts to rectify the situation.

Admit it. Once again Rock Shox have released a product to market without having done the requisite amount of testing on production versions. Just like they did with the Vivid (unthreading piston heads). Just like they did with the previous version of the Boxxer (blown MoCo pressure seals). Just like they did with the Totem (lord where do I start?). It looks like they're on the case and hopefully customers will be golden from this point on, but buddy, everyone can see that you have some kind of reach-around arrangement going on with Sram. Do yourself a favor and just keep quiet if your obligations to sponsors prevent you from discussing hard facts here on the internet.
paid full price for mine, no obligation to anyone. thanks for playing.

the replacement parts fix issues with rebound adjustment and the annoying 'click' that some forks had on rebound. the issue 99% of posters had on this forum was their inability to lube a fork on their own and perform what is essentially basic, routine maintenance so they commenced whining en mass.

Not everyone is going to need the replacement parts, not all the originals failed. Basically it addresses the top-out click which some people could care less about, and the weak c-clip atop the rebound assembly that could break/bend/fall off if someone got too carried away with turning their adjuster (basically making the fork more suited to being in the hands of the less mechanically inclined who turn knobs too far and bolts too tight). i'm sure the wrench flats onthe rebound knob were on there to allow disassembly w/out removing the knob and i bet it can be done with the stronger assembly, thouh i doubt RS will be promoting such a technique as it requires you to remember to screw the knobs fully closed first or you'll snap part of the damper in half. but should you need/want the replacement parts its hardly a big mystery how to get them. SRAM/RS has had the same warrenty/customer service procedure in place for years. everything always gets handled through the local shop. end of story.

I can sort of understand the moaning about (god forbid) servicing your own fork, but come on, complaining that RS 'didn't say how to go about getting the replacement parts' when it's pretty much common knowledge is pretty weak. i bet if anyone needed parts for any of their other avid/rs/truvativ/sram parts they wouldn't need a video to know where to look.:banghead:

edit: and all the 'problems' with stiction/lube/etc aren't the result of a c-clip on top of a rebound piston or excess play in a top-out spring.

i'm too lazy to dig it up, but i posted a prediction back in the Spring (half tongue-in-cheek) that SRAM was taking a risk releasing a fork with this many moving parts, small internals, and knobs to turn for the general public to use. Something about wondering how long it would take for warranty to be overwhelmed by people messing their stuff up. Rear shocks are simple to work on, but you won't see most manufacturers showing you how to do it because too many people would eff it up and end up calling customer service or the emergency room.

Last edited:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
It apperars to me that they just replaced the c clip with a snap ring. I would think that if anyone continues to remove the knobs when they are rebuilding their forks then the replacement parts are not needed, the new stronger snapring could possibly allow the knobs to stay on when re installing even though they don't mention it in the video. I damaged a fork by doing just that. That is probably why it is not involved in a recall.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
It apperars to me that they just replaced the c clip with a snap ring. I would think that if anyone continues to remove the knobs when they are rebuilding their forks then the replacement parts are not needed, the new stronger snapring could possibly allow the knobs to stay on when re installing even though they don't mention it in the video. I damaged a fork by doing just that. That is probably why it is not involved in a recall.
that's the impression i get. could probably go to the hardware store and get the same c-clip. i know a few people who did this to replace the pesky, hard to remove circlip on the rebound knobs.

not sure where the notion of a recall came from (typical e-rumor i suspect), as i've not heard anything of that nature. offering replacement parts is not the same as a recall.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
paid full price for mine
WOW! they do exsist!

if someone got too carried away with turning their adjuster (basically making the fork more suited to being in the hands of the less mechanically inclined who turn knobs too far and bolts too tight).
Things that are supposed to be user serviceable shouldn't have internal parts fail/snap when someone slightly overtightens a bolt. It's called PROPER DESIGN.

SRAM/RS has had the same warrenty/customer service procedure in place for years. everything always gets handled through the local shop. end of story.
Ya it's really awezome how clear they are about that on their site too! Especially since every mfg. is the same about these kinda things everybody should just intrinsically know that they have to go through the LBS, even if they didn't buy it through one!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Ya it's really awezome how clear they are about that on their site too! Especially since every mfg. is the same about these kinda things everybody should just intrinsically know that they have to go through the LBS, even if they didn't buy it through one!

Where would you buy a brand new 2010 Boxxer other than a LBS? E-whore it on ebay or another e-whore avenue?

If you e-whore your cycle parts you better damn well know how to work on your own $hit and how to obtain warranty parts if need be.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Where would you buy a brand new 2010 Boxxer other than a LBS? E-whore it on ebay or another e-whore avenue?

If you e-whore your cycle parts you better damn well know how to work on your own $hit and how to obtain warranty parts if need be.
Yes, I refuse to buy stuff from LBS's generally (yes I used to work at a few). And yes I know how to work on my stuff. And all the stuff I own, I'd go directly to get parts for. Or I know someone I can get them through. Being just a regular customer and trying to buy DH/FR or small suspension parts through an LBS is not only a pain in the ass, you generally get ripped off too.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
cool.
Then you should have no problem figuring out how to get your hands on spare or warranty parts. Really it is common sense.

If your power steering goes on your 2010 ford exlporer do you call Ford or take it to a dealer?