Quantcast

Boxxer Coil Hydraulic lockout

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I just picked up a used (advertised 2013, no idea if accurate) DHR for my wife to try her hand at downhill bikes and I'm giving it a once over to get it up and running for her.

I'm having some issues with the fork though, and since I have the memory of a goldfish and it's been awhile since I looked at a boxxer, I figured I'd see if anybody has any suggestions for fixing before I start throwing money at it.

I'm getting some hydraulic lockout about 75% of the way through the travel (picture included) and while the high speed compression knob turns freely, the low speed would not. Figuring it was seized I just grabbed a wrench and started turning it, and that got it moving, which was fine up until it started hissing and leaking oil from the adjuster.

So I feel pretty comfortable in saying "something is fucky." Are these dampers bleedable, or should I go out and start hunting for a new r2c2 damper immediately?

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dumb question, but does it move through travel freely with the damper out?

I had two of those, hated them both, and one worked poorly new out of the box. Good luck!

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Just pull the compression damper out (top unit) and see if it compresses further. R2C2 is an emulsion damper, it might be a simple issue of too much oil in the damper leg (gets hydro locked). There might be water in the lowers as well, preventing it to reach full travel (pressure washing ftw...). If that doesn't help, something might be damaged/bent etc. Just do a service, it's quite easy fork to work on.