Quantcast

Boxxer Flat Crown on DHR

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
I currently have an 05 DHR with a 04 Boxxer with the stock Drop crown. Of course this setup sucks. Anyway, I have the FSA close to zero stack Orbit ZR 1.5" headset. Anybody else have this on their DHR? Can you get away with the flat crown? Where do you buy these things at anyway?? A quick browse thru BTI yeilded no results..

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Unfortunately I don't think there are any flat crowns out there for the Boxxer - I have (had) the same fork you have and hated the P.O.S. upper crown that came with it.

Go to Romic's website: http://www.romicmfg.com/

They make a really good quality 4-pinch bolt upper crown that comes in a tall and short variety... I got the shorty, and I think it was like $120 - but totally worth it... the short crown is waaaay better than stock.

Hope this helps.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I thought you couldn't run a flat crown on a boxx because the stancions where too short?
Our team had this setup last year. I believe the romic crown was the only clean solution. Other solutions consisted of old tubes and zip ties.

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
buildyourown said:
I thought you couldn't run a flat crown on a boxx because the stancions where too short?
Our team had this setup last year. I believe the romic crown was the only clean solution. Other solutions consisted of old tubes and zip ties.

there are no flat crowns for a boxxer the crowns are specifficly lowerd for the stanshion tube hieghth you will be fine with your headset and stock crowns but for sure look into a romic crown they will bring your bike pretty low... and thats the point of a 0 stack flush headset

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
YOur best bet is the Romic. It is alot wider on the underside than the stock boxxer drops. I ran my DHR with a standard fsa orbit HS and only had i 2mm spacer between the crown and HS. THis gave me no interference even without fork bumpers. If your running a lower stack HS you could maybe need a bit more spacer in there to keep it clear.

Apr 26, 2004
Ive got a '05 DHR with e13 cups, fsa integrated headset and run 7" boxxers.
I run a 1" drop crown with no problems.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Bobby Peru said:
I may sound really dumb but what is the advantage to using this product? I have a '04 BOXXER Race and I am curious... any advice?

The bike in question, the DHR, uses a 1.5 headset. Since the 1.5 headset wasn't around when Rockshox designed the boxxer, they didn't leave quite enough room for the massive headtube. This leaves you with a bike with a very poor turning radius and dents in your toptube.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
buildyourown said:
The bike in question, the DHR, uses a 1.5 headset. Since the 1.5 headset wasn't around when Rockshox designed the boxxer, they didn't leave quite enough room for the massive headtube. This leaves you with a bike with a very poor turning radius and dents in your toptube.
OK, that helps a little! My bike ('04 Iron Horse SGS DH Pro) has the same 1.5 headset. Would it be advantageous for me to get one?

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
I ordered a 50mm drop Romic Crown for my Boxxer. I find it strange you guys say a 2004 flat boxxer crown from RS doesn't exist. Looking at the installation section of my manual it talks about using a short crown for bikes with stack heights of 160mm or less. I currently have around a 140mm stack height. Oh well, hope the romic works out. Also, it doesnt say what the minimum amount of stanction allowed to be above the lower crown. Says max is 160mm and it seems to come stock at 155mm.