Quantcast

Boxxer Keronite

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
It's not that. It's the industry's continual one upmanship. At a certain point, all 3 major brands have really developed dependable race level forks on a viable platform.

What I would expect is for those proven designs to then gradually reduce in cost to a more affordable price to bring in more riders. Then let the aftermarket develop more advanced internals for those who want a custom ride.

The Boxxer team has been in existence for something like more than a decade. It should go DOWN in price...not UP!
Thing is everyone wants to get their hands on the latest and greatest technology. Look at the trickle down in the Boxxer RC and Domain Dual Crowns. They are seriously really good forks at great price points. I was going to upgrade the internals of my RC for the geekness factor but will hold off for a bit to evaluate it and put it through its paces.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
At a certain point, all 3 major brands have really developed dependable race level forks on a viable platform.
3? I only count 2, and manitou doesn't really count as major, so I guess that only really leaves one, unless of course the new 40 is finally reliable.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
could the keronite be to stop punctures thru the lowers, or are they hinting they've run out of ideas, so they wanna keep your forks looking mint for the next x-years? :P

You or others are running [or unaware] of too little oil in the lowers, you should replace it more often, it does dry out def the std stuff, or run higher quality viscosity [thinner] fully 100% synthetic! so it lubes better and doesn't dry out without lube you run the risk of this potentially, though first Ive heard of it as a problem, not lack of oil but puncturing a lower but this is how it would happen!

They're a race fork, maintain them properly and you won't have an issue if you do want to do this this buy an old 888 Bomber or Monster T and never worry about servicing again!

I applaud RS for this K chit, its my only gripe on the current ones and I don't think its a major one but its def nice to have the paint on the lowers become more durable and I like the ano crowns 2 as my top crown def suffered from flake overload!

Some nice improvement like allen key retainer on the rebound shaft instead of the circlips also makes servicing easier!

As for stiction use some slick honey in ya seals regularly, and or even use some fluid on ya stauchions bounce up and down removes the dirt wipe repeat etc until no more dirt comes back out, + lubes the seals come on guys you should know this stuff basic 101 mtb maintenance.

Ive run my Boxxer 2010 for 2 dry summer seasons, one solid wet one and had no issues what so ever.

RM is just a bitch fest most of the time, complain with proper complaints but get something constructively going for a change, its really getting old.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Yes, heavily biased by all the money zoke and manitou pay me.:rolleyes: Our maybe its biased by all the blown up boxxers and 40s I see compated to the total la,k of 888s and dorados without any problems despitebeing ridden harder.
and to that I would reply : well probably because there are FAR more BoXXers and 40's out there than the Dorado's and 888's combined together.

But I get what you're saying, I also rarely hear any complains from people I know on Dorado's or even 888's now, than the other 2 ...

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Are these shipping already? I checked KHS's catalog a week ago, and it wasn't available back then. None of the bigger shops have them on their websites either.

Anyone here riding them? Feedback?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I'm curious now... I have a 2010 boxxer team currently which I think is fine. I opened the manual, twisted the dials to match RS's recommendation, rode it, tweaked the settings and haven't touched them since.

If I went to a 2011 boxxer team, what would I notice? I can say there was a hell of a difference coming from a 2003 era boxxer (way less diving), but I cant figure out why everybody is complaining about stiction/etc. Feels fine to me? I'm oblivious? v :) v

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If anyone thinks a coating on a fork lubricated with oil and already hard annodized is going to make their fork "slicker", there is either something wrong with their current fork or it's all in their head. Fox lubrication has always been somewhat poor, with bushings eating into stanchions, so harder stanchions will help, but servicing your oil is what really makes the difference.

Impacts and abrasions, ok a harder coating makes sense. Reduced stiction and better action? You've got to be kidding me.

I may start selling a "reduced friction" upgrade kit for forks. haha.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
If anyone thinks a coating on a fork lubricated with oil and already hard annodized is going to make their fork "slicker", there is either something wrong with their current fork or it's all in their head. Fox lubrication has always been somewhat poor, with bushings eating into stanchions, so harder stanchions will help, but servicing your oil is what really makes the difference.

Impacts and abrasions, ok a harder coating makes sense. Reduced stiction and better action? You've got to be kidding me.

I may start selling a "reduced friction" upgrade kit for forks. haha.
Abrasions? You mean like what sliding surfaces get?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Abrasions? You mean like what sliding surfaces get?
When they rub against trees, or dirt, or rocks...

I've had lots of forks over 16yrs, the only "sticky" ones with crappy sliding performance were not lubed well due to design, I've also heard from RSs mouth at interbike how their previous generation of "super slick" coatings was only for marketing purposes, due to the visibility of silver and ti-ni stanchions. Durability improvements are always good, but improved sliding performance on a fork that uses oil for lube? Seriously? This sounds like the "Ti springs are way more active and feel better" type of hype.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Durability improvements are always good, but improved sliding performance on a fork that uses oil for lube? Seriously?
Why do you think they need oil for lube in the first place? Because sliding surfaces suffer from both wear and stiction. Improving any of the contact surfaces (seals, stanchions, bushings, and tolerances between these parts) has great potential to improve durability and reduce sliding friction.