Quantcast

Boxxer Race and Vivid Knocking at Beginning of Rebound Stroke

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I picked up new 2010 Boxxer race and Vivid 5.1 this spring and am having some issues with knocking on the rebound stroke. I have had 3 rides on both. For both the fork and shock, the knocking is at the very beginning of the rebound stroke. There are no noises on the compression. I haven’t encountered this on my 08 World cup or on any of the Fox or Manitou shocks that I have run. Has anyone else encountered the same issues?

I am familiar with prior Boxxer designs, so I pulled the Race apart. Oil volume is fine and it feels like all the oil is cycling into the damper. I checked the YouTube Boxxer update video by Sram. My top-out spring assembly seems fine. My rebound base valve does not have a grey groove, it is entirely black, but it does have a groove.
Any suggestions?

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
Mine has a rebound stroke knock as well. I called SRAM and they sent me a new topout spring assembly and new rebound damper. I figured I'd replace the parts separately to determine which is causing the problem. I did the topout spring swap, which didn't affect the noise at all. I've been too busy to follow through with the rebound damper, but my fingers are crossed that it will take care of the knock.