Quantcast

boxxer rebuild video tutorial available?

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
the mechanic who serviced my boxxer for years left and i don't trust the other local yahoos.

so i'll give it a try. how hard can it be?

is there a boxxer service video available for the aspiring novice?

i goggled it and checked youtube and sram and found nothing.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Stock RS definitely. If you keep them clean and lubed (Tri-Flow works well) they won't leak, and I would rather stick with a "stock" product.

Marzocchi 32mm oil seals can be used as well if you trim the lip of the stock RS dust seal and use the two in conjunction...that will be my next setup.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is everything you need to do included in that video? No cartridge rebuild or anything? I'm just about ready to rebuild my fork, but I want to make sure I do it right.

What's the recommended oil? I don't quite know what he says in the video.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The instructions on RS's website (PDF file) include everything - full rebuild of damper etc. They even tell you how to do the bushings.

Basically you just need O-rings for the rebound and compression assemblies, get them sized up at the local hardware store, then get seals from RS. A high-quality synthetic oil is good for the damper (5-10wt depending most likely), you'll need 150ccs of that IIRC, then 15ccs per side in the lower legs of 15wt oil, basically something thick to lube the bushings. You can do more in the spring side. Reassemble everything, pack the seals w/ slick honey, and then you're done.